Thai Police Get Death Penalty In Drug War Killing

Buchholz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Police guilty of murdering youth, 17

The Criminal Court Monday handed down a guilty verdict to five former Kalasin-based policemen for their involvement in the extrajudicial killing of a 17-year-old boy in 2004.

Three of them were sentenced to death, another to life imprisonment, and the other to seven years in jail.

The death sentence was meted out against three police Senior Sergeant-Majors Angkarn Kammoonna, Sudtinan Noanting and Pansin Uppana. They are 48, 43, and 42 years old respectively. They were also found guilty of trying to cover up their crime.

Pol Lt Colonel Sumit Nansatit, who was serving as Deputy Superintendent of Muang Kalasin station at the time of the murder, was convicted of collaborating in the premeditated murder.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment.

His supervisor Pol Colonel Montri Sriboonleu, the former Superintendent of Muang Kalasin Police, was found guilty of trying to help his subordinates escape the reach of the law.

He was ordered to serve a seven-year jail term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-30

• Like 2

An appeal that was released a few days before sentencing today:

The Human Rights Lawyers Association, Thailand

For immediate release on 27 July 2012

THAILAND: Please attend court to hear order on War on Drugs killing on July 30, 2012

The death in custody of Mr. Kiattisak Thitboonkhrong as a result of police’s detention at Muang Kalasin Police Station

On 30 July 2012, 09.00 am, at Courtroom no. 913, Bangkok Criminal Court on Ratchadapisek Rd., the Court shall issue an order in the Black Case no. O3252/2552 between the public prosecutor v. Pol. Sen. Sgt. Maj. Angkhan Khammoonna, defendant no. 1 and other five defendants.

The defendants in this case have been accused of committing premeditated murder and moving the body to conceal the cause of death. They were also accused of being competent officers in criminal investigation who have abused their power to help prevent another person from being brought to justice.

The case stems from the death of Mr. Kiattisak Thitboonkhrong, 17 years, a student from Kalasin province, who was found dead by hanging in a makeshift in a paddy rice field in Roi Et province.

Prior to that, he had just been released from the Muang Kalasin Police Station on 22 July 2004. Please attend the court session on the date announced above.

During 2001-2006, the government implemented a policy to suppress drug trafficking causing more than 2,500 deaths as a result of extrajudicial killings. A number of people in Kalasin province have lost lives and gone disappeared. One of the deceased was Mr. Kiattisak Thitboonkhrong.

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has conducted an inquiry into the case and reported its findings on human rights abuse in 2006. One NHRC’s recommendations was for the government to provide the surviving family of Mr. Kiattisak Thitboonkhrong remedies as he had died in custody of police officers from the Muang Kalasin Police Station.

In 2005, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) accepted to admit the case of Mr. Kiattisak Thitboonkhrong’s death as a special case and on 9 September 2009, the public prosecutor of the Office of Special Litigation 1 decided to prosecute Pol. Sen. Sgt. Maj. Angkhan Khammoonna, as defendant no. 1, Pol. Sen. Sgt. Maj. Sutthinan Nonthing, defendant no. 2, Pol. Sen. Sgt. Maj. Phansin Uppanan, defendant no. 3, Pol. Sen. Sgt. Maj. Samphao Indee, defendant no. 4, Pol. Col. Montri Boonlue, defendant no. 5 and Pol. Lt. Col. Sumit Nunsathit, as defendant no. 6.

It took more than eight years to compile all evidence and prove the facts in the court hearings before the delivery of the verdict soon.

For more information, please contact:

Human Rights Lawyers Association (HRLA)

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/forwarded-news/AHRC-FPR-035-2012

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

My bet: execution of the sentence will never happen.

Probably not. But just being found guilty and sentenced is a positive development.

Not unless justice is done, which often its not then it simply becomes a complete and utter farce, which it often is.

• Like 1

Three of them were sentenced to death, another to life imprisonment,

Will we be seeing Police Captain Chalerm coming out and pushing the death sentence in these policemen cases be carried out expeditiously and have them executed within 30 days of the final verdict in their cases as he had advocated earlier?

:unsure:

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Will we be seeing Police Captain Chalerm coming out and pushing the death sentence in these policemen cases be carried out expeditiously and have them executed within 30 days of the final verdict in their cases as he had advocated earlier?

:unsure:

The Bogfather will certainly not want to get involved in this case

I don't agree with the death penalty, but they do deserve life in prison. If this is all true and goes to plan, it's a good day for justice in Thailand (I very much doubt they'll be executed).

Next stop should be reopening the case against Chalerm's son. I'd give my left nut to see that p**** rotting in a jail for the rest of his life. A strong message for people who think they're above the law.

• Like 2

unsure.png

I thought that was for drug dealers? (Minus the 30 days)

Oh and the verdict,

and of course the trial,

and questioning,

and arrest, and any evidence,

and probable cause, and .......

This has made my day. Scum. I've been posting about this over various forums for a long time.

google ' strange fruit in kalasin " for the story

Having spent a lot of time in Issan

i am shocked and sad that there was such evil by those that were meant

to uphold the law in the provinces. How could the thought patterns

and personal values of 5 such senior officers have

deteriorated there to this extent ?

Perhaps i am naive but i genuinely believed that Issan and it people

were simple and honest.

Edited by Asiantravel

This has made my day. Scum. I've been posting about this over various forums for a long time.

Having spent a lot of time in Issan

i am shocked and sad that there was such evil by those that were meant

to uphold the law in the provinces. How could the thought patterns

and personal values of 5 such senior officers have

deteriorated there to this extent ?

Perhaps i am naive but i genuinely believed that Issan and it people

were simple and honest.

I hope that is in a sarcastic note.

• Like 1

Any links to the international media stories out there?

Just googled it, and the top hit is blocked by the govt. What a surprise.

I googled it and got it:

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/462

Just tried it again from your link, still blocked. I get this:

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก

เว็บไซต์ที่ท่านต้องการเข้าชมได้ถูกระงับการเผยแพร่ตามคำสั่งจากกระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร

สอบถามข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมได้ที่ กระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร

เลขที่ 120 หมู่ 3 ชั้น 6 อาคารศูนย์ราชการเฉลิมพระเกียรติ 80 พรรษาฯ ถ.แจ้งวัฒนะ เขตหลักสี่ กรุงเทพ 10210

โทร. 02-141-6950

Sorry for any inconvenience.

The page you are trying to visit has been blocked by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology.

For more information, please contact Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

120 Moo 3, floor 6, Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty the Kings 80th Birthday

Changwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Tel. 02-141-6950

Column: Rule of Lords: Strange fruit in Kalasin

Fri, 04/01/2008 - 00:00 | by prachatai

Awzar Thi

Officers of the Kalasin District Police Station in northeastern Thailand are alleged to have abducted and murdered dozens of people in the last few years. The actual number could exceed 100; many more bodies have been found, but were not properly examined and documented before being cremated.

Among the victims, Kietisak Thitboonkrong and Krischadol Pancha disappeared from the police station within days of each other in July 2004, shortly after the official close of the first "war on drugs" declared by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Kietisak was 17, Krischadol, 15. Both had been accused of robbery and brought to the police station. Both were granted bail and the grandmother of each had come to the station to collect the boy but was told that he had been released and to go and wait.

Neither ever came home. Kietisak was found in a neighboring province, tortured to death and strung up in a bad attempt at a simulated suicide. Krischadol was not found.

(Awzar Thi is the pen name of a member of the Asian Human Rights Commission with over 15 years of experience as an advocate of human rights and the rule of law in Thailand and Burma. His Rule of Lords blog can be read athttp://ratchasima.net)

Edited by metisdead
: Edited per fair use policy to avoid copyright violation. Fonts resized to read better.
  • Like 1

I googled it and got it:

http://www.prachatai...nglish/node/462

Just tried it again from your link, still blocked. I get this:

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก

เว็บไซต์ที่ท่านต้องการเข้าชมได้ถูกระงับการเผยแพร่ตามคำสั่งจากกระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร

สอบถามข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมได้ที่ กระทรวงเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศและการสื่อสาร

เลขที่ 120 หมู่ 3 ชั้น 6 อาคารศูนย์ราชการเฉลิมพระเกียรติ 80 พรรษาฯ ถ.แจ้งวัฒนะ เขตหลักสี่ กรุงเทพ 10210

โทร. 02-141-6950

Sorry for any inconvenience.

The page you are trying to visit has been blocked by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology.

For more information, please contact Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

120 Moo 3, floor 6, Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty the Kings 80th Birthday

Changwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Tel. 02-141-6950

I just goggled it and got it. Saw nothing in it that would warrant blocking it.