What Works Where? 2G / 3G Coverage Maps Thailand.

JakeBKK

• 3 weeks later...

Caveat emptor if you are considering signing up with AIS for a data package. Sure, you might get a 3G connection, but good luck getting enough data throughput to even check your email.

I had excellent results with the new AIS/2100 MHz 3G service recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

Test 2:43 in the morning? How is your speedtest meter during prime time? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Caveat emptor if you are considering signing up with AIS for a data package. Sure, you might get a 3G connection, but good luck getting enough data throughput to even check your email.

I had excellent results with the new AIS/2100 MHz 3G service recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

Test 2:43 in the morning? How is your speedtest meter during prime time? smile.png

Test was from 2:43 PM, not sure if that is "prime time"? rolleyes.gif I sleep at 2:43 AM.

Just wondering if anyone can update on 3G speed and reliability in Bkk for True vs Dtac vs Ais? Am shopping around for iPhone package at the moment. Also, iPhone 4S vs 5 - any difference regarding the above?

TrueMove H has the best coverage and the fewest customers so they might make the best choice? Do you already have an iPhone? If so, maybe best to pop 50 baht for a SIM, and 49 baht for a daily plan to evaluate each of the three major service providers before deciding on one? Very simple and easy to do. If you don't have a phone are you considering a post-paid or contract service? If so, many service providers offer decent deals: slightly discounted HW and or significantly discounted service plans, when purchasing new HW, and signing up for a two year contract.

An iPhone 5 would work with TrueMove H's/2100 MHz 4G/LTE - deployed in limited areas currently, that's about the only difference I can think of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone trying 4G yet? Where is the coverage for that?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638142-4g-news-developments/

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g?ln=en#pane04

TrueMove H have publicly commented that they plan to have 2,000 4G/LTE base-stations in 13 provinces by the end of this year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Getting-up-to-speed-30208317.html

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am going to be using a samsung galaxy s3 mini (for european market

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100

)

Next week in :

Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi and phi phi. Will AIS work best?

I am looking to get a sim card with unlimited data for the month, what will it cost? Does ais also offer free wifi in some areas?

Thank you for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few days ago my 4 year old 12Call sim card stopped working with 3G here on Koh Chang. I confirmed it's a card issue because a new card which has different looking contacts works just fine. An almost equally old Dtac sim card shows the same behavior. My guess is both AIS and Dtac changed something in their network setup rendering old cards incapable of 3G. 2G/EDGE still works fine. Does anyone experience similar problems?

I know I can go to an AIS service center to transfer the number to a new card but the nearest is 200 km away...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

^ SIMs which are more than a few years old are of a previous technology/revision, so if porting from AIS to AWN or DTAC to TriNET, one may need a new SIM.

You could ask AIS to mail you a new SIM, which is mapped to your old number. You could also buy a new AIS/2100 MHz SIM locally, then call AIS with the details on the SIM/package (SIM number/IMSI), with which they can map your existing number to that new SIM.

Or just ring AIS on 1175, or drop them an email at [email protected] for advice to your particular issue.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to comment on this thread.

I have a newer 2100 AIS sim and recently drove from Pattaya to Sakon Nakhon. The entire trip I had my phone streaming music from Pandora. Now I can't stream unless I'm on 3G. I was quite surprised to find that I had music nearly the entire trip. The only time I lost my feed was when I was up in the Phu Phan mountains and that was not even for very long.

I also took advantage of the deal 7/11 is running. They are selling True-H sims for 1 thb. Figure I'd buy a few for the tablet and air card just in case they get better coverage here. Since I carry my phone around with me I'm much more in tune with my 3G+ coverage and it seems to be pretty stable. I don't bother doing regular speed tests cause that just uses up my data package. I do find that whenever I am downloading apps and such the throughput is as fast as my DSL back in patters. I really have no complaints.

I have stuck the true-h sim in my phone a few times to test if I have 3G and I find my galaxy s2 (i9100T) tends to default to the 2G network and I have to manually choose the True-H/CAT network to get the 3G signal. I have confirmed that this is coming in on 850Mhz.

Now the odd thing has to do with my aircard. It uses 850, 1900, 2100 for 3G and 850, 900, 1800, 1900 for edge/gsm. I've had this card for years. In the past I was only able to get edge/gsm using my AIS sim since they use the 900Mhz band. Once I upgraded my sim to the 2100Mhz service I am now getting 3G on my aircard with my AIS sim. So I figured that since my aircard supports 3G on 850Mhz that I should have no problem getting TRUE-H/CAT 3G on it with my new TRUE-H sim. Not the case. When I seach the networks I can't even see the CAT/True-H 3G network. Only the True 2G network. I can see 52003 (AIS 2100 3G) and 52005 (DTAC 850Mhz(?) 3G) but of course I can't connect to them using a True-H sim. I might have to buy me a DTAC sim since it seems my aircard can lock the DTAC 3G signal. I really have no idea why my aircard can't see the CAT/True-H 3G (850Mhz) network. My phone can and I have 100% confirmed that it's accessing it on the 850Mhz band. Just for reference, my aircard is a AT&T Option GE0302 HSPA EXPRESS modem. It has both a flip up antenna as well as a connector for an external antenna.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometime i had no phone signal with True in some secluded places where a farang should not go in bike alone and where i did'nt need internet anyway.. (but had no AIS to check)

Therefore this time i bought both TrueMove-H and AIS 12Call internet packages because was unsure to have signal where I was going.

For internet speed is a concern, True-H is unmatched compared to AIS/12Call...

In Prachuap, Bangkok and Prasat (and on the road between) with AIS I could never download faster than 40K/s and wait so long for every page or mail... dont talk about trying to update my system... neither with SIM in my computer or in my Samsung Note II LTE (using 3G)....

With AIS impossible to reach my 6Gb limit

I definitely stick to True-H, as long there's no better option...

H is for Happy :-)

Edited by TrueOrNothing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought a dual SIM Nokia XL (both 2100hz slots). The missus has AIS and I have a True SIM. We get 3G on the AIS SIM but not on the True SIM. I knew this in advance and was told that True will be switching off the 2G network, so I didn't really have a choice. My question is, are any of you guys able to get 3G on the True 2100hz band? If so, where?

• 4 weeks later...

Sometime i had no phone signal with True in some secluded places where a farang should not go in bike alone and where i did'nt need internet anyway.. (but had no AIS to check)

Therefore this time i bought both TrueMove-H and AIS 12Call internet packages because was unsure to have signal where I was going.

For internet speed is a concern, True-H is unmatched compared to AIS/12Call...

In Prachuap, Bangkok and Prasat (and on the road between) with AIS I could never download faster than 40K/s and wait so long for every page or mail... dont talk about trying to update my system... neither with SIM in my computer or in my Samsung Note II LTE (using 3G)....

With AIS impossible to reach my 6Gb limit

I definitely stick to True-H, as long there's no better option...

H is for Happy :-)

Yes... Biggest 3G network in the country is True.

@dumbfarang - main frequency for true is 850 MHz, with 2100 in cities. ( true use 2100 also for 4g ).

If you want good 3G/4g best to buy a phone which can handle multiple frequencies which most mid to high end phones can.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest even in central Bangkok I find speeds appallingly slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats with AIS, I dont even use my mobile now for anything except phone calls.

I have wi max on my land from TOT................its pretty grim too 120kbps to 700kbps of course the TOT man will turn up and show me their highly inaccurate OOKLA 10mb speed test yet my own tests show similar to above a paltry 120-700kbps and on the odd occasion 1-2-3-4mb but thats very rare.

• 10 months later...

What is the best package (internet, cable, mobile) for a Na Jomtien condo?

The usual recommendation is to ask other people in the same condo what ISPs are available and what they use (and why), is it reliable, issued getting it serviced, etc.

Some Condo are limited by contract what companies can provide service to the building (though you should always be able to use a Mobile Internet provider).

• 1 year later...