Cost Of Renting And Other Things

darraghg06

Hi,

I'm coming to Chiang Mai next month and staying for 6 months. What kind of prices can i expect to pay for a single room. I'd like a tv with cable, options of having wifi, fridge, and toilet, and bed. I don't want to pay anymore than 4,000 really if i don't have to.

How much are the red buses for trips? do you have no negotiate price before getting one or just hop on?

What's a nice area to live? I'd prefer to be living among thai's as i'd like to immerse myself in the language.

Oh and one other question, how far is Payap Uni from Tha Pae Gate, how much would one of those red buses cost to go there?

thanks in advance!

I am reasonably sure youwill be able to find the housing you want might have to look around. And don't forget they will add a charge on for the utilities.

The Red Buses are 20 baht. some time they will ask for more just say no and wait for another one. If you are going to a out of the way place they will ask more because they probably won't be able to pick up another passenger It should never be more than 40 baht.. To the collage 20 baht. Never say how much they will immediately quote you a high price Just say where you want to go and if they want more money for it they will tell you.

Payap is farrrrrrrrrr from Thapae gate. If your in the city center and cross the river expect atleast 40-60 baht for the red trucks...unless you are a student or senior citizen.

There are many apartments around Payap and a little group of bars, this will be a very thai area...around the rear entrance, freeway side.

The second ring road entrance will have nothing for you in that area.

Your arriving during the beginning of rainy season so it may be a good idea to get a place by Payap if your a student or a teacher, and get your farang fix around thapae when the need arises. It'll save you money by not sucking you into the farang lifestyle too.

• Like 2

how far are we talking? like could i cycle it to payap everyday from tha pae, just trying to get a grasp on it

You could but only if you wanted to die in your first week, a red bus is much better/safer idea - distance wise figure three(ish) kilo's but traffic is nightmarish, especially during rush hours.

Payap is about 6km, so not a real hike on the bicycle, at least not during the mid-day heat. As "chiang mai" says, it can be rather treacherous. Keep in mind that the smaller the vehicle, the lower you are on the food chain. Cars, truck, motorbike will not give you a second thought as they rush by and around you.

And yes, you have the right to do the same to anyone walking or on a unicycle...

• Like 1

how far are we talking? like could i cycle it to payap everyday from tha pae, just trying to get a grasp on it

By motorcycle its about 15 minutes for someone experienced, by bicycle it'll be about 30-40 minutes, 5 minutes just to cross the highway.

You can rent a scooter for about 4-5k baht per month.

But as i mentioned, your coming up on rainy season. Last rainy season it rained almost every single day for 3 months straight. More so if you live close to any mountain.

If you take Kaew Nawarat road the traffic can be is very bad as others have mentioned. But when you learn the roads there are detours you can take, they wont save you time, just take you around the traffic. eg; Mahidol road, then left on outer ring road - this route would take forever on a bicycle.

Edited by KRS1

Please get rid of your idea of using a bicycle for that journey, it's just not something even mildly insane people would contemplate during rush hour. To be honest, based on the time of day you intend to commute, even a motorbike is very high risk during those hours, for a newbie/visitor. Stick with the red car in the short term and perhaps work out some form of ride share with others or more suitable alternatives when you get to know folks.

Edited by chiang mai

It sounds as though you may be going to do the Thai study course at Payap (?), if so it's very good, either way you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet other foriegners during break and after class to figure out who's commuting how, ride sharing is highly probable.

I just thought I'd point out that Payap University has 5 campuses. Might be an idea the OP pick one before directions are offered. Google Maps search "Payap University Mueang Chiang Mai Chiang Mai Thailand"

Payap University near Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Payap University

San Phranet, San Sai, Chiang Mai 50210, Thailand

+66 53 851 478 ‎ · payap.ac.th

1 review

Payap University Kaew Nawarat Campus

Wat Ket, Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand

+66 53 248 037 ‎ · music.payap.ac.th

Payap University International Programs

Public Relations the Graduate School Payap University,, Mae-Kowchiang Mai, 50000, 50000, Thailand

+66 53 243 164 ‎ · tesol.payap.org

Payap University

Chang Phueak, Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand

Payap University

272 Moo 2, San Phra Net, San Sai, Chiang Mai, 50210; Thailand, 50210, Thailand

+66 53 304 809

Edited by DowntownAl