Thai Airways International Offers Faster Check-In Facility

webfact

AIRLINE INITIATIVE

THAI offers faster check-in facility

Jirapan Boonnoon

The Nation

Electronic boarding pass service will increase convenience for passengers

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) passengers will no longer have to endure long queues at the check-in counter, thanks to the Mobile Boarding Pass service which allows customers to check in at domestic airports and also at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chiang Mai International Airport and Phuket International Airport.

THAI vice president Saroj Yuttatri said that with the new service, the firm aims to reduce the check-in-counter processes, increase passenger convenience, and also protect the environment. The passengers can avail of the new service via mobile phones or tablet browsers, mobile application, mobile game, and iPad application.

The Mobile Boarding Pass or Mobile 2D barcode Boarding Pass is an electronic boarding pass that THAI will send to passengers on their mobile device. There is also another option to speed up passenger check-in via http://m.thaiairways.com. Passengers will be able to complete their check-in by using the booking code and even change their seats. They can get Mobile Boarding Pass via Multimedia Message Service (MMS) at a service fee of Bt6 per mobile boarding pass or MMS.

The new services will not only allow passengers to check-in by themselves but also allow the family or even a secretary to reserve a ticket and check-in for the passenger by revealing the passenger's mobile number to the mobile boarding pass system. The system then will send a 2D barcode boarding pass to the passenger automatically.

Passengers with baggage can go to the check-in bag drop counter at the airport to load their baggage and then go to immigration without showing their ticket. They will only have to show their mobile phone display. He said the service can be accessed by mobile phones that support multimedia messaging service based on iOS, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms.

In cases where there is a problem with a passenger's cellphone such as it has run out of battery, it is lost or is unable to receive the mobile boarding pass, the passenger can contact the check-in agent at the counter, present an ID card and inform about the flight, destination or booking code to be reissued their original boarding pass. In the cases of passengers who have already passed through the security check-in point, they should contact the gate agent at the boarding gate or lounge agent, then present the ID card and inform your flight, destination or booking code to the agent. The passenger's full record will then be printed and provided to the passenger instead of the original boarding pass.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-03

The passengers can avail of the new service via mobile phones or tablet browsers, mobile application, mobile game, and iPad application.

So I can't do this from my notebook or desktop PC then? No printable boarding pass.

And what about luggage?

shock1.gif

Edited by WhizBang

The passengers can avail of the new service via mobile phones or tablet browsers, mobile application, mobile game, and iPad application.

So I can't do this from my notebook or desktop PC then? No printable boarding pass.

And what about luggage?

shock1.gif

Passengers with baggage can go to the check-in bag drop counter at the airport to load their baggage and then go to immigration without showing their ticket. They will only have to show their mobile phone display. He said the service can be accessed by mobile phones that support multimedia messaging service based on iOS, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms.

This service will be useless if you have baggage.

I spent 45 minutes checked in yesterday (2/8) to Sydney, then another 1:35 hours at the immigration.

I can't understand why it took me 45 minutes at Thai check-in while I've already done an internet checked-in a night earlier. The lines for both 2 counters were very long.

Warning for passengers who need to check-in at Thai, be prepared for 1 hour waiting in line to drop off your baggage if you have finished internet check-in and 1:30 hour if you don't. Plus a good 2 hours queing up at the immigration. Yesterday morning ALL flights had to be delayed because most passengers stuck at the immigration. My flight to SYD on 2/8 was late by 1:30 hour to take off, but we landed only 1 hour delayed (supposed to be 20:00 but we arrived 21:something, thanks for the captain that sped up the plane.

Edited by Thai-Aust
  • Like 1

And what about luggage?

shock1.gif

The 2D code will be shown on the display of your mobile phone (or iPad etc), and you have to scan it at the gate. I guess nobody thought of people who want to drag their PC to the gate and scan the monitor. Room for improvement.

I spent 45 minutes checked in yesterday (2/8) to Sydney, then another 1:35 hours at the immigration.

I can't understand why it took me 45 minutes at Thai check-in while I've already done an internet checked-in a night earlier. The lines for both 2 counters were very long.

Warning for passengers who need to check-in at Thai, be prepared for 1 hour waiting in line to drop off your baggage if you have finished internet check-in and 1:30 hour if you don't. Plus a good 2 hours queing up at the immigration. Yesterday morning ALL flights had to be delayed because most passengers stuck at the immigration. My flight to SYD on 2/8 was late by 1:30 hour to take off, but we landed only 1 hour delayed (supposed to be 20:00 but we arrived 21:something, thanks for the captain that sped up the plane.

I'm not sure why you went to the check-in counter if you already checked in by internet. Did you print out the boarding pass?

Anyway, this topic is about another technology, i.e. not needing any printed boarding passes any more but just using the display of your mobile phone with the 2D barcode instead.

I have to submit boarding pass with my expense report so thanks but no thanks.

Note this is for domestic travel only, I can imagine the problems internationally if people don't print their tickets/boarding pass and are asked by immigration to present their tickets.

Note this is for domestic travel only, I can imagine the problems internationally if people don't print their tickets/boarding pass and are asked by immigration to present their tickets.

Sorry I do not understand the problem. My company used to require the boarding pass on my expenses submission but now accept a copy of my e-ticket, it's not rocket science. Of course I do not work for a Dickension company.

• Like 1

And what about luggage?

shock1.gif

Absolutely brilliant and only at least five years behind British Airways at LHR plus many other european airlines. When you electronically record the boarding pas it gets you to an express baggage drop-off point and you stroll through imigration, except when there is industrial action taking place. LHR handles a dam_n sight more passengers than BKK. What are TG going to claim next...5 hours to LHR maybe if they awaken from their dreamworld of being a pace setter. he he he

Sorry I do not understand the problem. My company used to require the boarding pass on my expenses submission but now accept a copy of my e-ticket, it's not rocket science. Of course I do not work for a Dickension company.

I'll pass that along, I tend to agree but I do work for an airline so maybe it does apply. The change back to boarding passes came recently not because the accountants wanted more paper but because an e-tkt doesn't mean you flew.......they also want paper receipts for all ancillary items purchased good luck with that one.

I'll pass that along, I tend to agree but I do work for an airline so maybe it does apply. The change back to boarding passes came recently not because the accountants wanted more paper but because an e-tkt doesn't mean you flew.......they also want paper receipts for all ancillary items purchased good luck with that one.

Save one of those inedible rock hard bread rolls they serve with the meal. No way anyone would dare trying to serve you one of those on the ground so should be proof enough.

Other than that you can always send a screenshot of the online check in when completed. Once you have checked in online the flight cannot be cancelled and therefore cannot be refunded.

The fact I end up where I am meant to be tends to give the game away that I flew.......... I do agree with paper receipts being a hassle, I was working in Southern Thailand once and for ease/speed and cheapness used motorcycle taxis to get around, after 2 weeks it was a reasonable amount, but no receipt, no claim even though I tried to explain. Next time around I had a car and driver at a cost of 1500 baht/day but accounts were happy as they had a receipt.

I always tell the immigration person at the bottom of the escalator I am a Thai resident and then walk to the Thai immigration line when I leave and arrive. Saves hours.

I used to do that too - but they changed it to base on what passport you have Thai or foreign... so if you have Thai citizenship and a Thai passport, OK, but if not...tough.

The only other way around it was that when I travel with my family, as they are Thai, we use the Thai line.

The fact I end up where I am meant to be tends to give the game away that I flew.......... I do agree with paper receipts being a hassle, I was working in Southern Thailand once and for ease/speed and cheapness used motorcycle taxis to get around, after 2 weeks it was a reasonable amount, but no receipt, no claim even though I tried to explain. Next time around I had a car and driver at a cost of 1500 baht/day but accounts were happy as they had a receipt.

Silly boy! You are making the somewhat far too logical assumption that accountants live in the real world...are you insane? :D

• Like 1

Silly boy! You are making the somewhat far too logical assumption that accountants live in the real world...are you insane? biggrin.png

Sadly the external-auditors and tax-men and shareholders don't like it, when the friendly helpful accountants take the word of the company's employees, without supporting-evidence like receipts. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Uk does not have immigration any more for leaving the country. Why should there be --if you going then go-- Only need to stop people to take money off them for staying too long which is ironic when you are trying to leave.

So they dont have any money so you stop them from leaving ( which is what they need to do) and put them in prison which costs money.

Now they have no ticket or any way of paying or even leaving which is what they wanted to do before you stopped them.

Uk does not have immigration any more for leaving the country. Why should there be --if you going then go-- Only need to stop people to take money off them for staying too long which is ironic when you are trying to leave.

So they dont have any money so you stop them from leaving ( which is what they need to do) and put them in prison which costs money.

Now they have no ticket or any way of paying or even leaving which is what they wanted to do before you stopped them.

I would think the exit control should prevent fugitives from leaving the country.

• Like 1

Silly boy! You are making the somewhat far too logical assumption that accountants live in the real world...are you insane? biggrin.png

Sadly the external-auditors and tax-men and shareholders don't like it, when the friendly helpful accountants take the word of the company's employees, without supporting-evidence like receipts. rolleyes.gif

Working for a new organisation I now have a budget of US$ 100/month for un-receipted expenses, makes sundries and tips a lot easier. Now I come to think of it is that why service is included on the receipt in so many places States side?

Thankfully I've never experienced any more delay in BKK than any other city in the world.

Perhaps some of those Thai Visa members who keep complaining about hospitals, police, and corruption are finally packing their bags and heading home. That would account for extensive delays, I'm sure.

I would think the exit control should prevent fugitives from leaving the country.

Oh they know who you are when you buy a seat but there is no immigration as such. They dont bother squeezing another 20 quid out of them because they overstayed 24 hours.

Anyway, back to the technology being used by Thai, doesn't AirAsia offer something similar? I haven't used it myself but I know they have something you can show on your mobile phone, is it a 2d code?

Anyway, back to the technology being used by Thai, doesn't AirAsia offer something similar? I haven't used it myself but I know they have something you can show on your mobile phone, is it a 2d code?

Yes