Motorcycle Taxis

Swelters

I should know better but convenience compels me to take motorcycle taxis from time to time. Last night a soi dog jumping out of the dark almost did us in, the driver did an amazing job at avoiding a smash after hitting the dog. Close call, I'm examining this and other bad habits like calling the bluff on rude drivers who don't stop at cross walks.

Anyone have any scary stats or spirtual excercises to cure me of these foolish habits?

going home one night from the BTS I jumped on a motorsy. The guy was real animated and I didn't know what he was saying. This kept up for a while and he kept turning around to talk. I kept pointing to watch the road. the last time he turned around he side swiped a taxi. We bounced off the car and he hit the gas and went flying down a small soi to get away from the taxi. He got away from the taxi and got me home with a couple of scratches. When we go home he see's my Mrs. and they start talking like old friends, come to find out he was her cousin and he had been trying toget me to recognise him as he was yapping at me on the ride home. Now when I see him he won't take money and it is a nice calm and slow ride home.

My offer of advice is never use them unless it,s an emergency or urgent.

Years ago i had to get from the Ramada Hotel to Eck. bus stn. in Bangkok at peak time in an emergency situation.

I had to get the last bus to Pattaya but only had a limited time to get there, no chance in the traffic in a car, no way.

The only way was a motor cycle taxi, the t. rider reckoned he could get me there.

He kept knocking my knees on the side of vehicles we where filtering between but he got me there

with time to get the bus.

How my backside didn,t chew a hole in the seat i,ll never know, i wanted to jump off.

He asked for 60, I gave him 100 baht which was for the relief of getting me there safely rather than in time.

I was in a right state, trembling all over and my knees didn,t stop shaking or aching for ages.

I cannot describe the feelings i felt arriving in one piece, i really thought we,d had it.

Never again i hope especially in Bangkok. Kn hells bells

I shudder now just thinking about it. :D

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Don't see the problem with taxi bikes. You got to be aware they are dangerous right? hardly a luxury way to travel so what do you expect?

Use them to go from big road to my home all the time or to the bts from home. Never had a real problem. Sure there are some times we get close to a car or a car pulls out but hey TIT.

As for going further?, real useful if you absolutely need to be somewhere in a hurry but it's risky, then it's up to you. Just remember taxi bikes are not realy intended to be used as taxis to fly all over bkk just local drops. Falangs are a lot bigger in general so keep your knees well in tight.

Never had a problem with Motorcycle taxis, i am set on the heavy side so speed is never a problem. The main problem comes when they forget i am 6"8 so my knees stick out a fair bit, so when dodging traffic i am always smacking my knees on cars, bloody painful :o

The dangers may be obvious but when it comes to the choice of being stuck in traffic for an hour to get from Wittayu to Silom or taking 5 minutes on a moto - I'm able to overlook them.

Saw a moto drive out of a blind junction straight in front of an oncoming car once. When I picked the passenger off the road she said it was the first ever time she'd used a motosai. I guess it helps to be lucky. :o