Thai - Us Citizenship For Daughter'S Child (Dual Citizenship)

Hello all,

Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum thread...

I have a few questions for those in the know about dual citizenship. My daughter is 21, a dual national (Thai - American) holding both Thai and US passports. She is due to give birth in November. She will not be married at that time of her daughter's birth (it's a girl!). She may or may not get married to the child's father AFTER birth. The baby will have our surname.

My questions are:

Being as she (my daughter) is already a dual national - but last arrived in Thailand using her Thai passport - and an unmarried dual national female, will anyone force her to sign anything obstructing the baby's nationality - either Thai or American?

For those of you who have had a child born at Bumrungrad Hospital, can they write up the report of birth both in Thai and English?

Also at Bumrungrad, if the above is possible, could my daughter use both ID's (Thai I.C. and US passport) on each of the respective birth reports?

I have been through the US State Dept. website concerning issuance of a US passport at the US embassy in BKK, all procedures appear to be the same as when I last applied for MY children a while back.

Given the facts in the first paragraph and my above questions, does anyone see a problem obtaining dual citizenship status for my grand daughter?

Thanks in advance for all constructive replies.

Your daughter is a Thai citizen.

A child of a Thai citizen is automatically a Thai citizen.

After the birth, the hospital will request ID documents from both of the parents. Your daughter should provide her Thai ID card - which will ensure that your grandchild's nationality will be recorded as Thai on the Thai birth certificate, which will be issued at the local district office (don't worry, the hospital will take care of that).

The above is important you need to get it right the first time, showing one parent is clearly Thai, otherwise the birth certificate will read 'non eligible for Thai nationality', which in your grandchilds case, will be patently untrue. And it can be a pain to reverse this.

The key think to remember is that for the most part, Thai citizenship is handed down by blood, regardless of place of birth.

As for the US citizenship, that will require someone more knowlegeable than me, as I am a dual Thai/Australian.

But if it is anything like the Australian way, your grandaughter will not offically be a US citizen until a registration at the embassy takes place. And the ability of your daughter to transfer down her US citizenship to her overseas born child may be conditional on where she was born and what links she has to the US.

Your daughter is a Thai citizen. A child of a Thai citizen is automatically a Thai citizen. After the birth, the hospital will request ID documents from both of the parents. Your daughter should provide her Thai ID card - which will ensure that your grandchild's nationality will be recorded as Thai on the Thai birth certificate, which will be issued at the local district office (don't worry, the hospital will take care of that). The above is important you need to get it right the first time, showing one parent is clearly Thai, otherwise the birth certificate will read 'non eligible for Thai nationality', which in your grandchilds case, will be patently untrue. And it can be a pain to reverse this. The key think to remember is that for the most part, Thai citizenship is handed down by blood, regardless of place of birth. As for the US citizenship, that will require someone more knowlegeable than me, as I am a dual Thai/Australian. But if it is anything like the Australian way, your grandaughter will not offically be a US citizen until a registration at the embassy takes place. And the ability of your daughter to transfer down her US citizenship to her overseas born child may be conditional on where she was born and what links she has to the US.

Thanks Samaran... it seems mostly the same as when I registered my kids at the consulate but I noticed a few changes after reading more on the US website (US CITIZENS PLEASE NOTE). If your son or daughter are a US citizen, regardless of being a dual national or not, and you have a child born overseas, the US citizen parent must: have been residing in the US for 5 years and must have BOTH parents sign on the baby's (or newborn) forms for a US passport. Report of birth form - not necessary to have both parents sign.

Hmmm... my daughter was born here and lives here / has not resided in the US for 5 years. How will her baby get a passport? And If she doesn't marry the father of the child? A bit of a quandary. She's asking the embassy in BKK soon...