Question about parking a car in thailand

So let’s say first don’t start criticizing me , I’m here just asking for advise.

So first time I been ask by an old man in a market area to shut my car off. It was on a yesterday afternoon and I stopped by the market and my mother went and bought something to cook for tonight.  So I parked my car (engine on,  drive a ford raptor). Yesterday an old man, maybe intoxicated came and nock on my window and told me to shut off the car. Because his older than me, I just agreed to it. A few weeks ago an old lady said that my car stank…… she was sitting there and try to sell her water melons. Now my question. What’s the right thing to do? Do I have to shut off my car when I’m parked? I like the cool air 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You already know the answer which is why you were polite enough to turn off the car when asked. 

When we park and wait at my Son's school - the guards come and ask us to turn off the car.

Its hot etc so the 'want' to sit in the cool AC is understandable, however, as you already understand, if in a busy area you will subject others to your fumes.... 

... being considerate means turning off your engine... Or as OMF mentions, park further away so that your running engine has no impact on anyone else nearby.

I ask because I see others parked too and turn their engine on. Don’t see often that someone come knocking on my drivers side window and ask me to turn of my car. It’s that a law where it says you have to turn off the car when it’s parked?

it happened only in that market, a big outside the city. And only old people seem to ask. Other people don’t seem to care. When it happened was around 17-18 o’clock 

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes,you like cool air , but think of the people around you ,put yourself in their shoes,

it's common sense to shut the engine off while  parking ,

A few years I had a bust up with a guy for doing the same , I am parked waiting for my

daughter to come out of music school , its a hot day , i had engine off ,window open,

and this guy pulled up to me facing other way ,he never turned engine off , so I knocked

on his window , can you turn your engine off the fumes are going straight in my truck.

He did not like that , do you know who I am ? first words out his mouth , I own 4 private

schools in Chiang Mai , I can get in contact with Immigration and get you deported , i said

if you own 4 schools you must be an educated man , so turn your engine off ,bit more

stuff said ,and he just took off , don't know if he ever got his kid. 

regards worgeordie

Oh I’m a guy that wouldn’t be bothered if your car it’s on or not.  But I do understand where you come from.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The fact that you have to ask says reams about you.

I see others do too, don’t seems to be the problem. If it’s the law that I have to turn it off when parking I would. Most of the time I just park and turn my emergency lights on and let the engine run. I wouldn’t care if others do it too. It wouldn’t bother me one bit.  You’re comment which implies that you know me because I ask a question, just shows me how a idiot you are.

Some countries engine idling Its illegal, like Germany where you can be fined for it. So I ask how the Thai laws are, if it doesn’t say I don’t need to turn off the engine then I won’t next time. Because I don’t see most Thais will do it in this hot weather and parked without air con on.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You already know the answer which is why you were polite enough to turn off the car when asked. 

When we park and wait at my Son's school - the guards come and ask us to turn off the car.

Its hot etc so the 'want' to sit in the cool AC is understandable, however, as you already understand, if in a busy area you will subject others to your fumes.... 

... being considerate means turning off your engine... Or as OMF mentions, park further away so that your running engine has no impact on anyone else nearby.

Exactly! +1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Diesel fumes can make one choke-up, I, for one, cannot be near an idling diesel...😷

Not only the diesel fumes. What about nature and environment? @luckywooman what does the law say in your country of origin? Is it ok to have the engine on? For how many minutes?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, luckywooman said:

I ask because I see others parked too and turn their engine on. Don’t see often that someone come knocking on my drivers side window and ask me to turn of my car. It’s that a law where it says you have to turn off the car when it’s parked?

it happened only in that market, a big outside the city. And only old people seem to ask. Other people don’t seem to care. When it happened was around 17-18 o’clock 

I see others dropping litter...  that doesn't make it socially considerate. 

I don't know of any 'stationary idling' laws in Thailand, but other countries do have them.

You've already had your answers... It doesn't matter if others are asked not to run their car or not - its about what you do in your car and how or if you are considerate of those around you.

Also, does it really matter the age of those who ask you to turn of your engine ???...   the fact that someone asked is surely message enough, no ???

I'm actually struggling to understand what you are not understanding about this... Its kind of like not 'understanding' that smoking in a restaurant is antisocial...

Not to be confrontational, but the fact that you felt the need to raise the question makes me wonder how in touch with reality you are...  Diesel cars do smell a lot more than petrol cars particularly with the B7 Bio-Diesel...

I've got an idea that Khun LA is just going to love...  Get an EV... you can run your AC while waiting !!

Edited by richard_smith237

5 hours ago, luckywooman said:

I see others do too, don’t seems to be the problem. If it’s the law that I have to turn it off when parking I would. Most of the time I just park and turn my emergency lights on and let the engine run. I wouldn’t care if others do it too. It wouldn’t bother me one bit.  You’re comment which implies that you know me because I ask a question, just shows me how a idiot you are.

Some countries engine idling Its illegal, like Germany where you can be fined for it. So I ask how the Thai laws are, if it doesn’t say I don’t need to turn off the engine then I won’t next time. Because I don’t see most Thais will do it in this hot weather and parked without air con on.

It is good for your teeth, to don't try to poison people with your diesel fumes. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Crossy said:

In an EV you (or your dog) can sit in the cool for as long as you like without upsetting anyone with fumes :whistling:

Sniffy the Wonder Dog waiting patiently in AC comfort while we eat ...

... and you better save her a bite :coffee1: image.png.71301beb3b71274a0e0bc92d7b1d3690.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, luckywooman said:

So let’s say first don’t start criticizing me , I’m here just asking for advise.

So first time I been ask by an old man in a market area to shut my car off. It was on a yesterday afternoon and I stopped by the market and my mother went and bought something to cook for tonight.  So I parked my car (engine on,  drive a ford raptor). Yesterday an old man, maybe intoxicated came and nock on my window and told me to shut off the car. Because his older than me, I just agreed to it. A few weeks ago an old lady said that my car stank…… she was sitting there and try to sell her water melons. Now my question. What’s the right thing to do? Do I have to shut off my car when I’m parked? I like the cool air 😅

You're just joking, aren't you? That's not an honest question??

• Agree 1

If I get to the mall indoor parking before mall opens, SUV or truck both diesel stays running with cool AC blowing. When I pick up my kid from school and have to wait 20 minutes, diesel SUV stays running AC blowing. As does most everyone else parked near me.

Some folks are just too thin skinned. I suppose some vehicles are poorly tuned and smoke, my vehicles are properly maintained and are not bothersome. 

Alot of name calling here by the self righteous. Bite me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1