3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do i get a Spotty 20 something Boys, with a Black Suit miles to small,and pointy Shoes , miles too long , smelling of Roll On Deodorant , and Spikey Hair plasterd in Wheel Bearing Grease. Then they just Oggle My Daughter , and ignore me. Life aint fair.sad.png

^ pics please to verify your statement on those legs.

Ha ha, a man after my own heart indeed SoloFlyer. Alas, I have to disappoint you but I shall do my best on another occasion, if opportunity arises. I expected that when she came to the house today, she would be similarly fitted out in her mouth-wateringly scant attrire. But instead of arriving in the Ford Everest, her arrangement was that she collected me to take me to Phetchburi to see the Everest, along with a seemingly uncommunicative male colleague, in a thirteen-year-old tired-out Ford saloon. I presumed the male colleague (who hardly communicated with me even in clear and brief Thai) was the "protector" just in case her physical appearance was too much for me to withstand.

Furthermore, the frilly skirt had been replaced by awful ripped and messy jeans. Sadly the only vestige of yesterday's memory of a vision of beaty were the six-inch heels that she'd kept on. So, SoloFlyer, I'm sick inside from disappointing you. I should have tried to aim my camera yesterday at the showroom while I had the opportunity. The problem was that the other members of staff were giggling a little, evidently from the look on my face and the position of my jaw. I'm sure you get the picture.

So you are saying that normal diesel is better than the shell vpower? I have ONLY used vpower so I can't even compare. I know that the vpower I pay 32.95thb/l and the normal is a few thb less per liter. Would be interetsed know if your gas mileage is effected with the normal stuff.

Hi Jayman, in order to allow a follow-up of the consumption, I shared my consumption details on Fuelly.com. On the go, I use an app such as "Mileage" or "DriverDiary" both under Android. Both very good apps and quite useful to keep a note as I go.

Fuelly is the online equivalent, and the profile was created to make it available to Thaivisa members and other people around the globe.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/blackpjs/pajero-sport

To answer your question, finally, no I did not notice any marked difference between Diesel and Vpower in mileage. My mileage rather depends on speed (the lowest possible definitely helps mileage) and the style of driving (mountain driving with the motor revving at 2.000 rpm or above on climbs did not help mileage one bit!). At 100 kph, the motor revs steadily at 2.000-2.100 rpm. At 80 kph, the motor revs comfortably at 1.600/1.700 rpm, which is more or less what is done in city (although it generally revs at 1.300 rpm in city). In city, obviously, the sheer weight of the car always makes it heavy to manoeuver around, despite the assisted direction. With time, I am getting better there. ;)

Finally, I do not know how significant my mileage records can be as most of the time my driving is mixed highway/city. The few times I made long drives, it oscillated around 12 km/L, or 11 km/L, with an all best at 13.4.

An excellent thread by the OP indeed. He (or she) has spent time putting a lot of information in that post which can benefit many, I'm fully aware how much effort went into that. I'm currently interested in a Ford Everest from Ford Phetchburi (the Province, not the Road). The dealer has been helpful but we haven't talked figures until she brings it to my home tomorrow for a test drive.

In the showroom today, she had the longest legs and the shortest skirt I have ever seen. Quite honestly I don't mind if she drives it from my house, instead of me, because the view will be breathtaking either way.

In some ways, OP, your experiences of harsh treatment, such as bullying over the copying of other dealers' offers and insisting that you sign away all indemnity for damage, that stinks, frankly. I'm personally more inclined to go for the pleasant non-pushy dealer with the less-advantageous deal, than the persuadable but stressful dealer from whom I can potentially get a better deal.

Wailee, too many kind words there. Just wanted to share my long-term ownership experience, a bit like what is done on some Indian forums (which I also found quite helpful technically, and to my surprise). As the data and experience is available, I thought it is interesting to share it with other members. I benefited a lot of the wealth of experience accumulated on this site, and just wished to return some measure of contribution to other members. While I got affectionate to my car, now, I still keep an objective eye on everything and try to give the most dispassionate account of what happens on a day to day basis. I have to say, it has been quite trouble-free for almost one year now, so from that side, I do not regret my choice.

I know that there is a lot of flak on diesel these days for pollution issues in Europe and the US. Nevertheless, I have rode some taxis very recently. I try to keep an eye on the rpm counter to gauge the performance...And it is not rare that the car revs to 3-4000 rpm when accelerating (just until 60 kph!). My PJS revs to a maximum of 2.000 rpm when I really push it on startup. From that very limited point of view, I can see how a diesel motor can be quite economical. This being said, I probably have more weight to drag when empty than the small corolla. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, time for another update on the ownership of the PJS.

If you recall, it is almost one year since I have bought the car. Over this year, I drove almost 19.000 kms, mainly in city, but also a few long trips upcountry, where the PJS reliability never let me down.

In the meantime, I had my car serviced (this time, I used the Mitsubishi Ramkamhaeng service center, where I am pleased to say the staff is extremely competent, can talk with me about technical issues and has a fair idea of the manner of handling a car and the possible issues. The one problem is that you need a thai translator, but if you can get your message across, then things are very well done. My initial inkling of them being well-equipped and competent was quite right, I could explain what I wanted them to do and check, and they did an excellent job of servicing the car. They asked me what oil I wanted, and I opted again for Synthetic oil.

20.000 kms also means that the wheels were rotated (but they did not rotate in the spare tyre) the various parts were checked and oil was changed. On the whole, the car is good to go now. The service took almost a whole day however, with me dropping my car at 8.00 AM... Re. the aircon, they advised against using chemical air fresheners as they said eventually, this damages the aircon components. They advised using active charcoal. I was also advised to switch off everything, from aircon to radio and lights before turning off the engine, in order to preserve as much as possible the battery (we just passed one year, meaning its warranty is now expired).

Brakes feel again crispy and good, and I feel as usual, the same pleasure in driving the car. Nothing much to say about it, except that it is a pleasant experience either in city or on the expressway. The bulk of the car can make it sometimes a trouble to navigate through tight points (like tight ramp parkings!)... But with experience, it becomes easy to negotiate even the tightest parts. As time goes by, the experiences built with this car get me more affectionate to it with all its good and bad sides. It may not have the creature comforts of a Mercedes or the luxury of a BMW... but it is my first car, a car that fits me and with which a lot of things have been gone through in one year. From pleasant ones to less pleasant ones. Now this being said, one year is a short time, even with 20.000 kms. I guess it should take much longer to appreciate the real reliability of a car.

On fuel efficiency, I am now into my second tankful of ordinary diesel, and i do not observe any particular loss of performance compared to Vpower. If anything, the motor is less noisy now. I had the occasion of experiencing the old 2010 Pajero in a chauffeur-driven car of my company... And I have to say that the back seats are pretty much comfortable and easy. Not quite a mercedes or a BMW as a comfort car.. But something nice nevertheless. I also observed the weird Thai logic at work... The guy had to drive me out fo Chamchuri square parking to get back to Thonglor. He came out on the exit of Rama IV, then made a u-turn, went back into the parking and drove all the way around... To Phaya Thai road! From there he engaged back on Rama IV... Where I understood that in the end he did all that detour just because he wanted to catch the flyover of the Japanese-Belgian bridge! I am sure we lost more time that way that going straight on Rama IV. wink.png

So, on other issues, we have always the risky driving here... I have gained more confidence on the road, but I am sometimes weary that being too relaxed is dangerous here. In city, danger comes from everywhere. I saw two accidents involving bikes yesterday and today in BKK alone. It seems it is a daily fight between life and the desire for death of drivers or bikers. Yet, I keep reminding myself every time, it is not as bad here as elsewhere. I have had to take taxis several times, but I really cringed at their driving and brutal and aggressive pushing, tailgating, cutting in etc. I believe I feel more relaxed when driving myself (never thought I would say that!). On a side remark, I notice that taxis often have bumps on their wings or even have it totally replaced. A testimony to the consequences of their rash driving.

I nevertheless always involuntarily cringe whenever I see pedestrians running across the road - it always brings back to mind the poor guy who got killed before my eyes.

I had also the rust coating checked on my car, and we are all set for another three months of pleasurable driving.

On insurances, I ended up choosing LMG insurances for their complete coverage; The 24 hr roadside assistance promoted by Axa was interesting, but it was reserved to... Cars weighing less than 1 ton! So, to say, pretty much useless for me. In the end, after negotiations, LMG accepted to raise coverage for total loss to 940.000 THB, for a cost of 24 K. Furthermore, the coverage was higher for each post than any other insurance available on the market. I hope I won't have to use their services, but hopefully thye will be ok. Now, I have to waste half a day to let them check the car!

• Like 1

^ pics please to verify your statement on those legs.

Agree. Pics or it didn't happen.

The short skirt is the only whey they gonna shift an old everest hehe....aside from the free insurance and 0% interest, ask for a 100K discount!

• 2 months later...

Another update on the PJS... Not much to say, as I have not gone for long trips since the summer. Went a couple of times to Ayutthaya, and further to Bang Saen beach.

But a bit weary of driving on the road out in the province. Saraburi area definitely is a very dangerous area with pedestrians crossing highways. Beyond, I have been everywhere around BKK, so the desire to drive out has a bit died - and being at work, I don't have yet the time for some long roadtrips. One area on my schedule is most definitely Issan, where I have not yet been.

What is up on my side? Well, thanks to a member of the forum i have now a tonneau cover, which affords a bit of discretion behind. Still looking for a cargo net which would allow me to restrain everything that is in the back.

Mostly it is an uneventful possession of a car,but one interesting anecdote to tell (Transam would be most interested). I recently had my tires checked for pressure (Sathorn Shell).

This time, I used my own manometer before letting the guy check. Well, I had 35 psi on my manometer... The guy had 40 psi on his pressure gauge. Me, 35. A girl came there with her own... 31! 3 different pressure readings for a single tyre! But yeah, will change my modus operandi going forward... Will always precheck myself the tire.

The only one underinflated was the left forward tire. To follow up whether it is a silent puncture...

The car now totals about 14 months, drives as before, and has no mechanical issues so far. I just noticed that compared to 2012, prices seem to have fallen quite steeply. Most PJS I see for sale are around 700 K. I think the insurance was quoting from 840 to 860 K for mine. Is it that in one year the configuration of the second-hand Thai market has changed to become closer to the European/US markets?

• 1 month later...

You mentioned having a dash cam fitted at one point and later remarked about wanting one with a rear view as well.

Could you talk about this a bit more about this please including what impact the installation had if any on your warranty and your overall satisfaction with the one you bought.

I've been lazy about getting one but I definitely think they're essential in Thailand and especially so for falangs.

TIA

You mentioned having a dash cam fitted at one point and later remarked about wanting one with a rear view as well.

Could you talk about this a bit more about this please including what impact the installation had if any on your warranty and your overall satisfaction with the one you bought.

I've been lazy about getting one but I definitely think they're essential in Thailand and especially so for falangs.

TIA

Hello, I have a dash cam bought on Ebay, which is a bit unsatisfactory, because it shows very well the cabin, but not perfectly behind. Planning on changing it most likely in a near future.

It was all well and nice, until I witnessed an horrible accident. I had to edit the footage to clean out the portion of the screen with me. Knowing how are the thais, you have all the chances that your face will make the 8 PM news if you give them a video with the inside of the cabin.

The dash cams do not invalidate your warranty in any manner, providing you hook them on the cigarette lighter and not directly to the battery.

Overall, the dash cam shows in a satisfactory manner the road, but it is impossible to see any plate number. Let alone see anything clear behind (insufficient resolution).

So, I am planning to change, and I keep on observing the dash cam news to see what could be the replacement.

A dash cam is also a "hidden traitor"... In that if you drive badly, or make a mistake, it will reveal it without fail (my dash cam registers also the speed).