Uk Citizen Working In Holland, Bringing The Wifey Over.

Maybe somebody is or has been in the same situation knowing a lot of Brits that live and work in Holland and visit Thailand.

I'm a UK national living and working in Holland through a UK agency.

I'm looking to bring my wife (Thai national) over to Holland to stay with me. Married 7 years and also the wife has stayed with me in the US for several years (maybe this helps).

I understand that she would be able to stay with a Shengan visa but I'm looking long term.

Any ideas what I will need to show to the Dutch embassy.

Thanks in advance.

As you are an EEA national (British) exercising an EEA treaty right to live and work in another EEA state (the Netherlands) you have the right to have your non-EEA national spouse join you. The application should be dealt with as quickly as possible and the whole procedure will be free.

I am not sure of the Dutch procedure; but think she applies for a Schengen visa for her initial entry and then applies for residency once in the Netherlands. Try searching the Dutch embassy site or contacting them.

The procedure does differ from EEA country to country, but the rules are the same for them all. To give you an idea of what's required have a look at the UK's procedure.

Are you sure she does not have to make the Civic Integration Examination at the Dutch Embassy in Bangkok. Please check (Edit: commercial web address removed; see Dutch embassy for details of this requirement) for more information about this test.

Edited by 7by7

Whether the Dutch immigration rules say the spouse/partner of a Dutch citizen needs such a test; I don't know.

Edit: checked and it appears that anyone wishing to stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months needs such a test; if they apply under the Dutch immigration rules.

I do know that the OP's wife will not be applying under the Dutch immigration rules; she will be applying under the EEA regulations and therefore no such requirement applies to her.

Edited by 7by7

I know this is jumping the gun a bit, but i thought i would tell you anyway.

I have gone the EEA family permit route with the wife. (I'm working in Belgium).

When you want to take the wife to the UK (holiday or finished working in Holland) you don't need a holiday visa. You apply for a family permit. It's free. If your just going for a holiday it last 6 months (multi entry). If your going back to live, it has an expiry date of 5 years, but the expiry date doesn't mean she has to leave. She just has to get a document certifying permanent residence.

I'll see if i can find the info to back up what im saying.

Forgot to add, your wife doesn't need to take the language test to get a family permit to the UK.

One last thing. Find out about driving on a Thai licence in Holland. In Belgium my wife could of swapped her Thai licence for a Belgium one but she didn't have a licence before she got here, so now she can't do it. sad.png

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/

Edited by dean999

It looks like you need to do what i did. Apply for a Schengen visa to get her in the country and then apply for a family permit once she is in Holland. See link below.

What i did as well was, i sent the embassy an email asking if i should apply for a visa to get my wife in the country and then apply for a family permit once she is here. You can then use the reply in your application and at the airport for immigration.

My wife got held at the airport for two hours, untill i got taken inside and explained everything. I forgot to give her a letter explaining what we planed to do as she couldn't explain it properly. They nearly sent her home.

Hope all this helps.

http://www.dutchemba...index.php?i=261

Edited by dean999

• 4 weeks later...