Planned Improvements In Internet Infrastructure In Thailand

pedro01

Hi All

Well - sorry to disappoint with the title but I'm wondering if anyone knows what (if anything) is being done to improve the infrastructure here.

Are CAT doing anything about the international links in order to deliver more bandwidth?

Are there any plans to improve local infrastructure?

I'm not even sure where to start looking for such information.

Thanks

Pete

hi,

thailand is improving all the time month after month its internationnal bandwith, it was 365 Gbps in april and now it's 406 Gbps.

being here since few years, i can tell you these improvements are really seen on daily use, back in 2007-8 it was almost impossible to have a clear good quality VOIP phone call using finarea/betamax, nowadays when i call in europe people don't even notice a difference compared to local phone calls(i have the cheap indy 3BB package).

thailand internet map is updated very often at this adress :

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/internetmap.current.iir

when it comes to local improvements, they are already years in advance regarding bandwidth multi fiber optical fiber being installed all over thailand.

back in april 2012 local bandwidth within the country was 730Gbps 4 months later it's 997 Gbps.

As a person who has spent more than 30 years in Network Construction all over the world, I want to know what your smoking. There may be ample physical infrastructure ie the Fibre you mention, but as any Bar Girl will tell you "its how you use it that counts"

hi,

thailand is improving all the time month after month its internationnal bandwith, it was 365 Gbps in april and now it's 406 Gbps.

being here since few years, i can tell you these improvements are really seen on daily use, back in 2007-8 it was almost impossible to have a clear good quality VOIP phone call using finarea/betamax, nowadays when i call in europe people don't even notice a difference compared to local phone calls(i have the cheap indy 3BB package).

http://internet.nect...map.current.iir

when it comes to local improvements, they are already years in advance regarding bandwidth multi fiber optical fiber being installed all over thailand.

back in april 2012 local bandwidth within the country was 730Gbps 4 months later it's 997 Gbps.

Well, those details sound great but the reality is that the internet in Thailand is going backwards, not forwards. It's getting slower and slower and less reliable as far as I am concerned. Oversubscribed, terrible infrastructure etc. Same as with the 3G.

hi,

Personal user Internet performance experience is also dictated by the "pipe" from your residence to the service provider/server farms. You can have the fastest infrastructure in the world, but "so what" if low bandwidth from the home.

hi,

Well, those details sound great but the reality is that the internet in Thailand is going backwards, not forwards. It's getting slower and slower and less reliable as far as I am concerned. Oversubscribed, terrible infrastructure etc. Same as with the 3G.

In you are in the right area, it is now possible to get an internet connection that can download data faster than many PC's can write to the HDD. Sure, most of Thailand doesn't have that kind of access yet but ADSL is widespread and from my experience compares quite favourably in terms of price/speed/stability with many western countries. Maybe not Finland or South Korea but....

If you want to have fast stable internet access, it isn't only a question of the network infrastructure you connect to. You also need to have a decent (fairly new) computer, WiFi, Router, modem etc. If you are using high speed ADSL, you need a perfect cable pair between your modem and the Telco's termination outside your house/apartment. If you have all that and still have problems, call your ISP (TRUE, TOT or whoever). They will come and fix it for you.

What problem are you having that causes you to say that the internet in Thailand is going backwards?

Internet access in Thailand is improving, 5-6 years ago the standard entry level connection was 500K to 1 Mbps now it's 5-7 Mbps for the same price. I know you don't get full speed to US/Europe etc but it is certainly improved.

I can now stream HD from BBC iPlayer and can max out my True 10/1 connection on a well seeded torrent, in fact sometimes most of that comes from just one or two peers.

For people still on copper pairs the local street wiring leaves a lot to be desired and poor s/n and hi attenuation that ensues can cause the local black spots that are often posted here. Of course it can be further improved.

Would agree that provisioning of overseas bandwidth is behind the curve compared the rate of increase of users.

As far as 3G is concerned, that is a completely different problem caused, in my view, by political manoeuvrings and too many feet trying to get into the trough.

As a person who has spent more than 30 years in Network Construction all over the world, I want to know what your smoking. There may be ample physical infrastructure ie the Fibre you mention, but as any Bar Girl will tell you "its how you use it that counts"

Aas other posters said they also see huge improvements in thai internet years after years, so ask some of your friends in thailand how they see their connection actually as opposed to what it was before.