How Impressive Is Thailand'S First Female Pm To Society'S Leading Women?

webfact

How impressive is 1st female PM to society's leading women?

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Red shirt chairwoman Thida Thavornseth: "It was amazing she could pass one year in her term so well, considering that she had no experience in the political field. Some people dislike her administration, but even a man as good as Thaksin Shinawatra has people who dislike him.

"On her dealing with last year's flood, the PM was able to handle this disaster very well too. I doubt if many people as inexperienced as her would have dealt with the floods as well as her."

Wilaiwan Saetia, vice president of the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee: "PM Yingluck Shinawatra has a good personality but she still cannot make her own decisions on the important policies. On this point, some say she is under her brother's shadow.

"She has no political experience so she needs help from the advisers. I think she should study issues more in order to reduce mistakes. But I think she is trying very hard to improve herself.

"About her work on government policies, the policies are very good but she still can't make them really happen. Her weakest links are the wage-increment policy, the women's fund, her brother intervening and her performance in solving the flood problems."

Thapanee Ietsrichai, a well-known reporter: "PM Yingluck has a good personality and she is the first female PM of Thailand so the spotlight is on her when she is abroad.

"She has become more confident over the past year compared to the first day that she began her prime minister position. This helps her convince people that she does not work under anybody's control. She has also been able to create a noticeable image on the world stage as a female premier.

"It could be seen through her characteristics and dress style, but she sometimes lacks decisive decisions, perhaps because she is a woman. Women normally compromise more than men.

"Actually, a good personality is part of leadership. If she has achievements that impress people, they will trust her," Thapanee added.

Supinya Klangnarong, NBTC commissioner: "Yingluck has been keeping herself safe by not retorting and not getting involved in conflicts. That was her best form of protection from political attack. However, comparing her performance with other female leaders in foreign countries, those leaders have political stances and perspectives. Yingluck has not reached that point."

Assoc Prof Chantana Banpasirichote Wungaeo, head of Chulalongkorn University's Government Department: "Besides being the first female prime minister, Yingluck has not been outstanding from other women in Thai politics. She has little experience and did not have the experience of fighting for something like Aung San Suu Kyi did. However, Yingluck is a good mother. She is an example of the mother who raises her child independently. That's good."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-06

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

.....However, comparing her performance with other female leaders in foreign countries, those leaders have political stances and perspectives. Yingluck has not reached that point.".....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-06

Says it all right there.

1 year on the job and she is essentially clueless.

She avoids conflict, because she has no ability to deal with it,

because she doesn't understand it's implications.

• Like 1

She has certainly proven herself a better leader and politician than Julia Gillard.

You forgot Pauline Hanson and Sarah Palin, old moit. Still trying to find the relevance of Julia to Thai politics...... must be there somewhere.....

I think he is comparing Yingluk as a female P.M to another female P.M - I guess the link is female P.M's. I wish Australia had someone of Yingluks character and Political smarts running Australia she would be a huge improvement no matter if she was labour or liberal.

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

.....However, comparing her performance with other female leaders in foreign countries, those leaders have political stances and perspectives. Yingluck has not reached that point.".....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-06

Says it all right there.

1 year on the job and she is essentially clueless.

She avoids conflict, because she has no ability to deal with it,

because she doesn't understand it's implications.

This is all quite irrelevant.

As soon as the dust has settled, the history books will show her to have been the puppet of her sibling in exile!

However, Yingluck is a good mother. She is an example of the mother who raises her child independently.

Is she saying that Yingluck's "husband" is not doing anything to raise their son?

:blink:

That's exactly what she's saying... :o she doesn't even just insinuate it, she says it very clearly.

That's not as the family is portrayed publicly. Anusorn certainly is no publicity hound. Quite the opposite actually and obviously prefers to stay behind the scenes. But that's never been associated with them living apart or that Yingluck is solely raising their son.

If she is raising him alone, it would be difficult, but not impossible, in my opinion, to call her a "good mother" when considering how little time she must have for him. Her travel itinerary is chockablock busy and she's frequently out of the country altogether. Being away from Bangkok is what she has become famous for, while the boy is attended to by nannies and various whatnot Shinawatra clan members in their Bangkok enclave... with his private football pitch. :rolleyes:

Edited by Buchholz

Hopefully, with highlighting the sole child-rearing parent status in the article, that it is true.

Otherwise, Budsarakham as The Nation author and Associate Professor Chantana as the source of the quote are both going to be in need of legal representation.

About the only compliment I can give her is "well done for hanging on so long without managing to deliver any of your policies. I take my hat off for you."

Intellectually it's a bit like relying on Brownian motion in a vacuum filled cranium with the lights out.

However, Yingluck is a good mother. She is an example of the mother who raises her child independently.

Is she saying that Yingluck's "husband" is not doing anything to raise their son?

blink.png

That's exactly what she's saying... ohmy.png she doesn't even just insinuate it, she says it very clearly.

That's not as the family is portrayed publicly. Anusorn certainly is no publicity hound. Quite the opposite actually and obviously prefers to stay behind the scenes. But that's never been associated with them living apart or that Yingluck is solely raising their son.

If she is raising him alone, it would be difficult, but not impossible, in my opinion, to call her a "good mother" when considering how little time she must have for him. Her travel itinerary is chockablock busy and she's frequently out of the country altogether. Being away from Bangkok is what she has become famous for, while the boy is attended to by nannies and various whatnot Shinawatra clan members in their Bangkok enclave... with his private football pitch. rolleyes.gif

Today's news informs me that she's gone off on travels even more than I suspected... huh.png

PM informs Thai ambassadors of her successful trips overseas

BANGKOK, 2012-08-06(NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has reiterated the success from her recent visits to 18 nations around the world to Thai ambassadors and consuls-general during their first meeting today.

Yingluck announced at the meeting that her recent trips to 18 different countries were a great success.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255508060016

Edited by Buchholz

About the only compliment I can give her is "well done for hanging on so long without managing to deliver any of your policies. I take my hat off for you."

Intellectually it's a bit like relying on Brownian motion in a vacuum filled cranium with the lights out.

But you still get by, and post occasionally, don't be so hard on yourself..........

History books will show that she "handled" the floods. Everything got back to normal and the Japanese kept investing despite factory floodings. Tourism was booming according to the Nation's accounts based on quotes by "key" officials. Crime and drugs were controlled, criminals were arrested, news was squashed.

Pronouncements on building code violation enforcement were made, everyone scurried about, payments were shifted, everything remained the same. Tablets were distributed, promises were kept. Education was identified as a problem, the administration assured that they would take measures.

Thailland recognized the Palestinians, made peace with the Iranians, and gave them a public high level hearing to claim that terrorists were not "real Iranians." The Thais pledged that terrorism events would not happened in Thailand and tourists need not be concerned. Food poisonings were down, investigated diligently and news follow up was squashed.

Human trafficking was denied, pregnant women who are migrant workers are proposed to be legislated off Thai soil when they give birth, but welcomed back to work for substandard wages after the birth. Thais lobbied the US embassy to lift terrorist alerts, and they wrote open letters. They lunched, they drank, they met, they talked, they blustered. They acknowledged corruption, but denied and refused to acknowledge the huge sex trade. However, they did protest the blacklisting of Thailand for illegal copying of intellectual property. They denied inflation of food prices. They fixed caved in sink holes and replaced torn out ATM machines. They declared shock and concern about poison fish use to make fish balls.

So all in all it's a commendable status quo. This is what Thailand is all about at its best. maintaining the status, plugging holes in the "system," refusing to assimilate into the real world, and denying that the outside world knows anything about anything, so that Thainess prevails. They outdid themselves with 12 new or reinforced "hub" schemes to make Thailand the hub of all hubs.

She did a great job by these standards. They have surveys to prove it, and if they don't have them, they can manufacturer the results instantly in a new random survey.