Thai Govt'S Approval Rating Drops Below 50 Per Cent: Poll

webfact

No translation mistake, 70% of the Thai population is satisfied with the job of the government.

And if I read the poll right, Yingluck personal score is 54% .

In an earlier post regarding a announcement from Mr Amsterdam, I was saying that the opposition should be really desperate to try to make such a big thing of what was basically a non event. WIth figures like that, I can understand why the opposition is now running in panic mode.

70% Don;lt want a change

This only means they don't want the 'world class trouble' of a change of government at this time.

this means no more riots and relative calm, most want that.

But the real story is not the percentage wanting a period of stability,

but the lack of government and ministers personal approval in general.

"...High profile Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubamrung topped the achievement list of ministers with 22.3 per cent -- less than one in four respondents -- voicing approval, followed by Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit at 5.1 per cent.... "

The most in your face active guy is a paltry 22%

and her deputy incharge of keeping the country running is a pathetic 5.1%

Yes folks the SECOND best Govrnment Minster is getting FIVE point ONE percent approval.

All the REST are so far below him to not even warrant being mentioned.

Agree with you, if you take minister by minister, specific problems one by one, yes there is room for improvement.

But on the overall you have to accept that people are happy with this government.

Inside Thailand stability is back. Since this government has been in office, there hasn't been any major trouble, a big change compared to the past 7 years. On the international scene, it's fantastic. While the previous foreign minister was picking fight with almost every country Thailand has business with, Yingluck has gathered praise from almost all the major players : USA, IMF, Europe ...

People have clear needs, they want stability and prosperity. Abhisit is a nice guy but clearly not up to the challenge. The Shinawatra are maybe controversial but they deliver. At the end, it's what matters.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a moment I thought this topic was on "Thai Govt's approval rating ...". Obviously I was wrong. It's about either k. Abhisit who failed or on the Shinawatra who deliver. I'm sure that who ever got those THB 260 billion on rice price fledging will really agree with the last. I'm not sure how many poor farmers will be amongst them though. Also whether the government was to be blamed or not, the flooding last year left lots of people wet and in doubt. Still the MoFA really performed, new shine passport delivered within two days to a Thai citizen not in Thailand at that time, with their offices flooded as well. Now that's performance lots of Thai will be really happy with, including those still waiting for their flooding disaster compensation of up to THB 30,000.

With a year having passed by now we can of course look forward to an impressive accomplishment report on the 16 "Urgent Policies to be Implemented in the First Year". Imagine what the Shinawatras could have done if only the opposition hadn't been that pesky.

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

No translation mistake, 70% of the Thai population is satisfied with the job of the government.

In an earlier post regarding a announcement from Mr Amsterdam, I was saying that the opposition should be really desperate to try to make such a big thing of what was basically a non event. WIth figures like that, I can understand why the opposition is now running in panic mode.

70% Don;lt want a change

This only means they don't want the 'world class trouble' of a change of government at this time.

"...High profile Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubamrung topped the achievement list of ministers with 22.3 per cent -- less than one in four respondents -- voicing approval, followed by Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit at 5.1 per cent.... "

Yes folks the SECOND best Govrnment Minster is getting FIVE point ONE percent approval.

But on the overall you have to accept that people are happy with this government.

Duh - Jurgen Whats the title of this article?? Here's a quick refresher " Thai Governments Approval Rating Drops" Clearly people are delighted, over the moon, absolutely ecstatic with this government, in fact it is clealry exceeding all expectations......Not!

If you think a drop in approval means people are happy with the government well good for you. This government is fast catching up to the Dems in the race to the bottom. But you probably think that's a good thing.

Remember - When the governments approval rating drops, that does not mean people are happy with the government. It means the opposite - They are unhappy.

Sleep well

Duh - Jurgen Whats the title of this article?? Here's a quick refresher " Thai Governments Approval Rating Drops" Clearly people are delighted, over the moon, absolutely ecstatic with this government, in fact it is clealry exceeding all expectations......Not!

If you think a drop in approval means people are happy with the government well good for you. This government is fast catching up to the Dems in the race to the bottom. But you probably think that's a good thing.

Remember - When the governments approval rating drops, that does not mean people are happy with the government. It means the opposite - They are unhappy.

Sleep well

Duh Jon, are you new here ?

So many times with the Nation, we have the big headline saying something and when you take the time to read the full article, it says something completely different.

70% of the people want the current government to stay. So far people have tried to spin bit and parts of the article but nobody contest this figure.

70% of the people want this government to stay ! If they were not happy, do you think they will say they want this government to stay ?

70% ! Again we are going to fight over the definition of a landslide.

70% How high the figure should be to qualify as a clear majority ?

Edited by JurgenG

So her score has plummeted downward 12% in just a couple of weeks.

The masses are wising up.

thumbsup.gif

Dream on.Abhisit would give his right arm for Yingluck's ratings which are startlingly good.Given the PM's lack of experience and a lack lustre economy, the Democrats should be powering ahead.Few doubt however that a general election held now would result in another solid PTP government.Even the most embittered opponents must try and understand why this is the case.

Last time one of Thaksin's party's won an election with a majority, they called a new election in ONLY 12 months. Maybe there's an election right around the corner.

So many times with the Nation, we have the big headline saying something and when you take the time to read the full article, it says something completely different.

70% of the people want the current government to stay. So far people have tried to spin bit and parts of the article but nobody contest this figure.

70% of the people want this government to stay ! If they were not happy, do you think they will say they want this government to stay ?

I like this number game!

With only 48% of Thai having voted Pheu Thai party, we now have 70% of Thai want this government. While at the same time the approval rating drops a wee bit. Now that's Amazing Thailand for sure.

It's a pity that some posters here always go on about theNation writing drivel wink.png

• Like 1

So her score has plummeted downward 12% in just a couple of weeks.

The masses are wising up.

thumbsup.gif

Dream on.Abhisit would give his right arm for Yingluck's ratings which are startlingly good.Given the PM's lack of experience and a lack lustre economy, the Democrats should be powering ahead.Few doubt however that a general election held now would result in another solid PTP government.Even the most embittered opponents must try and understand why this is the case.

Last time one of Thaksin's party's won an election with a majority, they called a new election in ONLY 12 months. Maybe there's an election right around the corner.

If there was it isn't something that should bother the democrat party.

I like this number game!

With only 48% of Thai having voted Pheu Thai party, we now have 70% of Thai want this government. While at the same time the approval rating drops a wee bit. Now that's Amazing Thailand for sure.

It's a pity that some posters here always go on about theNation writing drivel wink.png

You realise it's only a poll right? Do you honestly think the Nation is a well written newspaper?

I think you have a reading problem.

70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work.

They don't want her to step down. The don't want her to be kicked out. They don't want protests. They don't want an election. They want stability.

As to the big headline:

Govt's approval rating drops below 50 per cent: Poll

If you remember your grade 3 maths when 48 was less than 50. Many years later, it still is.

Clearly, a HUGE majority of 48% are happy with the government as a whole. A small minority of 52% are not happy with the government and think that they should lift their game.

I like this number game!

You realise it's only a poll right? Do you honestly think the Nation is a well written newspaper?

My dear chap, I hope you feel better now that you spoiled it all for JurgenG. Shame on you rolleyes.gif

I like this number game!

Last year, we still had the junta and the "Bangkok elite" in control of the country ... and the media. With only one message. Everything but Thaksin. They didn't have much else to offer. They were in charge of the country affairs for the past 6 years and it was a total disaster.

Now we have Yingluck in charge for the past 12 months. On every level there is a clear improvement.

48% voted her in office. After one year, it's 70% of the population who support her

70 % ! The Sondhi's boys are now in panic mode.

But for the rest of us, it just means back to normal. 6 years wasted, it's enough, don't you think ?

Edited by JurgenG

Last year, we still had the junta and the "Bangkok elite" in control of the country ... and the media. With only one message. Everything but Thaksin. They didn't have much else to offer. They were in charge of the country affairs for the past 6 years and it was a total disaster.

Now we have Yingluck in charge for the past 12 months. On every level there is a clear improvement.

48% voted her in office. After one year, it's 70% of the population who support her

But for the rest of us, it just means back to normal. 6 years wasted, it's enough, don't you think ?

All I can say is ... blink.pngrolleyes.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

I understand. Lost for words ...

When despite your best efforts, 70% of the population tell you they prefer the other side it really hurts.

Maybe you shouldn't be so involved in politic and look for other hobbies ?

When despite your best efforts, 70% of the population tell you they prefer the other side it really hurts.

It doesn't say that, but if that's what your red tinted glasses show you, well, what can one do?

I like this number game!

Well, I'm happy you're not too discouraged by the negative waves from phiphidonwink.png

As for the rest of your post, even you are entitled to your opinion and if necessary I'd defend that for you. Doesn't mean I agree though, but then I'm just a smple farang who has been spoiled by years of Netherlands democracy before coming here 18 years ago ermm.gif

70% Don;lt want a change

Agree with you, if you take minister by minister, specific problems one by one, yes there is room for improvement.

Inside Thailand stability is back. Since this government has been in office, there hasn't been any major trouble, a big change compared to the past 7 years. On the international scene, it's fantastic. While the previous foreign minister was picking fight with almost every country Thailand has business with, Yingluck has gathered praise from almost all the major players : USA, IMF, Europe ...

People have clear needs, they want stability and prosperity. Abhisit is a nice guy but clearly not up to the challenge. The Shinawatra are maybe controversial but they deliver. At the end, it's what matters.

Yeah 95% or more room for improvement,

with Chalerm being the benchmark for good...55555.

You really do euphemism well, but reality maybe not so much.

In this case it means someone you find barely acceptable

with a crew of cohorts who are totally unacceptable

are tolerable, versus total upheaval and street riots again.

That's not an endorsement,

that is just people wanting peace and quite to get on with things for awhile.

Very, very far from an endorsement.

Just:

'Better than' street riots and foregien investment and tourists scared off yet again.

Edited by animatic

Jurgen you make a very good spin-meister.

Thank you biggrin.png

Like the red shirts & the loud-mouthed PTP pollies, you seem to be advocating a one-party state where the opposition is silenced a much as possible. Most democracies allow opposition.

When the current government carries out policies that benefit Thailand, they deserve support. When they drop the baton & concentrate on absolving criminals, they will rightly find opposition from many sides.

Lastly, the 74% who want the PM to carry on seemed to me to answering a question about a cabinet change. 10% or so don't want it but I'm sure they know that it is not Yingluck who will make that decision.

For a functioning democracy, you need (at least) two strong party competing each other.

Today you have one, PT.

Unfortunately the democrats are not willing to play their part. Abhisit is a leader of the past, a civil servant with the emphasize on "servant".

As long as the democrats can't find a strong leader there will be an unbalance in Thai poliltic.

Don't blame PT for that.

_

And are you saying that Yingluck is the PTP strong leader???

I like this number game!

You just continue to spin the figures. What was the question to which that 70% supported?

Judging from the article it was that they didn't want a re-shuffle dictated by the paymaster. They didn't sat that they wanted the government to create the opposite of reconcilliation by giving the criminal an amnesty.

The Dems certainly paid a lot (yes, too much) attention to Thaksin. But so have the PT party - even more actually. Last year, instead of concentrating on resolving the major floods, they spat the dummy & gave more priority in attempting to get the paymaster a free pass.

Before it was the Dems in panic mode, now it's Sondhi -make up your mind. Actually it's yourself in panic mode, desperately trying to defend the indefensible.

Oh and no one accused Thatcher or Churchill of being corrupt. One poster felt that you were saying that the Dems needed someone as corrupt as Thaksin to run their party in order to compete with PT. You could well be right there.

The message is clear (landslide ?) : 70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work

Following recent polls indicating that the public did not want a censure debate. It's a clear message, the public is fed up with all these maneuver from the opposition, just let the government work.

Abhisit, who has never been known for his sharp mind, worries that the public might not yet know enough information. Mr Abhisit, the message is clear, 70% of the public want you to let the government do its job. Please go away until you have something constructive to say.

My but you are the slow one. I am anti PT but When I saw it was a pole taken of a handful of people I just put it off to the side every one knows they haven't a clue as to how to take a honest pole in Thailand.

A little bit of money and they will have a pole saying the North Star is really in the South East Sky.

You forgot to mention that even though 70% said they liked Yingluck 52% of them did not like her government but then again it is a Thai poe made up for wannabe believers like you.

Edited by hellodolly

Jurgen you make a very good spin-meister.

Thank you biggrin.png

Like the red shirts & the loud-mouthed PTP pollies, you seem to be advocating a one-party state where the opposition is silenced a much as possible. Most democracies allow opposition.

When the current government carries out policies that benefit Thailand, they deserve support. When they drop the baton & concentrate on absolving criminals, they will rightly find opposition from many sides.

Lastly, the 74% who want the PM to carry on seemed to me to answering a question about a cabinet change. 10% or so don't want it but I'm sure they know that it is not Yingluck who will make that decision.

For a functioning democracy, you need (at least) two strong party competing each other.

Today you have one, PT.

Unfortunately the democrats are not willing to play their part. Abhisit is a leader of the past, a civil servant with the emphasize on "servant".

As long as the democrats can't find a strong leader there will be an unbalance in Thai poliltic.

Don't blame PT for that.

PT have their own problems with the (lack of) strength with their "leader".

Ya they are finding out that Photo ops and phone calls to her brother just make for a good leader.

One reading of 'satisfaction' with the current status quo is that there is no necessity for Thaksin to return.

A nice balance between the courts and the government. Everybody happy.

Now watch the Thaksin apologists shuffle uneasily in their seats and Thaksin continue to attempt to mess up that status quo.

While in the background rising inflation upsets everybody's apple cart.

Sleep well

Jurgen you are clearly slow

70% of the population do want Yingluck to continue. But I was talking about the government not Yingluck - See your mistake, off you go back to school

One reading of 'satisfaction' with the current status quo is that there is no necessity for Thaksin to return.

Now watch the Thaksin apologists shuffle uneasily in their seats and Thaksin continue to attempt to mess up that status quo.

That's one reading and there's some truth to it.Its weighting in the context of Yingluck's extraordinary popularity is more difficult to assess.

I also agree with you that for the time being everybody is happy (shorthand for a more complex set of views but I think generally understood).

Not so sure about the balance between the government and the courts.I fear that still much to be done on improving the judicial system's neutrality.That includes governments of all stripes not interfering with due process by the way.But any attempt to direct the courts for political ends by the amart as in the past looks doomed

But the current quiet period is just a truce.The underlying issues haven't been dealt with - certainly not by the current government.Quite interesting to see Democrats attempting to modernise -too early to say but credit to Abhisit and Korn for trying.

As for Thaksin, you introduce again the "Thaksin apologists" line without explaining who these are.I haven't seen much evidence of them on this forum.Certainly among the PTP and redshirt movement there are some.Or we we still in the posture of arguing that anyone who questions the unelected elites is a "Thaksin apologist"? But you are right to identify Thaksin as a destabilising element.

Inflation is one of many issues.Thailand's economy despite difficulties looks robust to me but given world conditions no guarantees available.One important point (not always appreciated) is that there remain a cross party consensus on economic management underwritten by very capable bureaucrats in BOT and MOF.

70% think she should stay in the Job, when the idiot comes out with stuff like this?

(and yes, i use the word Idiot with purpose)

http://www.dvb.no/an...scontents/22272

Careful with your sources. Kavi Chongkittavorn is an experienced journalist, to be sure, but also a hardcore Dem supporter. He'll use every chance he can get to slam Yingluck, but you'll see nary a critical word from him concerning Abhisit. Of course, if you want to only read stuff that fits into your worldview, he's your man. But you might otherwise find this an interesting read:

http://kqube.com/en/national-news/war-a-tragedy/2380-kavi-chongkittavorn-is-near-perfect-about-asean-but-is-very-poor-about-cambodian-affairs

The message is clear (landslide ?) : 70 per cent of the public still want the premier to continue her work

Following recent polls indicating that the public did not want a censure debate. It's a clear message, the public is fed up with all these maneuver from the opposition, just let the government work.

Abhisit, who has never been known for his sharp mind, worries that the public might not yet know enough information. Mr Abhisit, the message is clear, 70% of the public want you to let the government do its job. Please go away until you have something constructive to say.

You clearly have no idea what democracy and transparency is all about. You are saying that a corrupt government in a corrupt country like Thailand doesn't need to explain what they have been up to. We read in the news everyday that graft is discovered all over the place and you say: let them "work" without checks and balances.

70% think she should stay in the Job, when the idiot comes out with stuff like this?

Careful with your sources. Kavi Chongkittavorn is an experienced journalist, to be sure, but also a hardcore Dem supporter. He'll use every chance he can get to slam Yingluck, but you'll see nary a critical word from him concerning Abhisit. Of course, if you want to only read stuff that fits into your worldview, he's your man. But you might otherwise find this an interesting read:

http://kqube.com/en/...mbodian-affairs

Be that as it may, doesn't change the words that came out of her mouth, does it?

Quote" all together 10 countries contain half of population of the world"

Defend that then guys... c'mon

http://kqube.com/en/...mbodian-affairs

Be that as it may, doesn't change the words that came out of her mouth, does it?

Quote" all together 10 countries contain half of population of the world"

Defend that then guys... c'mon

Oh dear oh dear. And to spout such idiocy at the World Economic Forum.....