My Favourite Tools

rcalsop

We have had what we miss about women , home generally , food , etc as standard questions on TV site but how about the true loves of our lives ...the tools we had to leave behind and now miss even though they may be out of date .

Lets start the ball rolling I miss

My top 10

1/ My dwell meter with RPM gauge and remote start button

2/ My Gunson colour plug for tuning my S.U. carbs .. A clear spark plug so you could see into the combustion chamber and check the mixture .whilst running the engine and tweeking the mixture control to get from yellow to a beautiful blue

3/ SPQR ??? tappet adjuster .( valve gapping adjuster for the purists the actual tappet is not there . )

4/ Home made slide hammer .

5/ From my grand father fish mouthed spanners ( he made them in North Road Shops in Darlington ) sizes from 1/2 inch to 4 inch big ? yes ..brutal ? yes effective sometimes brilliant !! an often borrowed tool ( the shop was a British Railways repair shop )

6/ For working on UK cars a nut splitter 50% seemed to need this with salt corrosion

7/ My brake pipe flaring kit .

8/ Off set screwdrivers

9/ That long reach grabby thing that allowed you to get that dropped screw /washer/ nut from way down in the engine bay or suspension

10/ A clutch alignment tool made from wood ,black tape and bits of pipe .

How about your top 10 or more ?.

Tools! Couldn't live without them even if I never used one again.

A man is not complete without tools. Fact.

I'm not missing anything really, I have most of the things I need and sent some over from Australia but there is some I miss, mostly sentimental.

1. Sidchrome socket set (Aussies will know about this)

2. My 1000v insulated screwdrivers (I'm a sparkie by trade)

3. My tool box that I've had since i was an apprentice.

4. Trolley jack (I may have to buy one of these)

5. Decent files (second cut bastard)

6. My Fluke 87 multimeter

7. Motorcycle cable oiler (If any one knows how to get hold of one of these please let me know!)

8. Gas soldering iron. (Real one) Actually had one of these but cannot get the proper gas in LOS and it's stuffed

9. Mini socket set

10. All the special tools that you made or modified to do those particular jobs.

I'm probably missing some out here...

Tools! Couldn't live without them even if I never used one again.

A man is not complete without tools. Fact.

I'm not missing anything really, I have most of the things I need and sent some over from Australia but there is some I miss, mostly sentimental.

1. Sidchrome socket set (Aussies will know about this)

2. My 1000v insulated screwdrivers (I'm a sparkie by trade)

3. My tool box that I've had since i was an apprentice.

4. Trolley jack (I may have to buy one of these)

5. Decent files (second cut bastard)

6. My Fluke 87 multimeter

7. Motorcycle cable oiler (If any one knows how to get hold of one of these please let me know!)

8. Gas soldering iron. (Real one) Actually had one of these but cannot get the proper gas in LOS and it's stuffed

9. Mini socket set

10. All the special tools that you made or modified to do those particular jobs.

I'm probably missing some out here...

A decent battery drill!

I have only one decent socket set at home which I keep in the house the rest of my tools are cheap shit which I just keep replacing as they disappear every time the brother in law does something to his bike. I brought a Honda whiper sniper a few months back and the father in law loves it I can’t seem to be able to keep him off it :o

I bought a whipper snipper (brush cutter) as well and was gutted to learn that they introduced a 4 stroke one a month later so I'm stuck with a noisy 2 stroke.

But I was pretty excited when i got it so I ran out to the block in my flip flops and gave it a try. I lasted about 5 minutes before I hit some old fencing wire and sent a piece an inch into my foot!

I can tell you it didn't hurt half as bad as the old nurse jabbing the tetenus injection into my arm.

I did eventually manage to clear the place up (with boots and safety glasses on) but nearly started a bushfire when I tried to burn off some of the cuttings, but thats another story......

I now pay someone to do all the clearing up and can sit back under the mango tree with a beer and watch, as you should.

I bought a whipper snipper (brush cutter) as well and was gutted to learn that they introduced a 4 stroke one a month later so I'm stuck with a noisy 2 stroke.

But I was pretty excited when i got it so I ran out to the block in my flip flops and gave it a try. I lasted about 5 minutes before I hit some old fencing wire and sent a piece an inch into my foot!

I can tell you it didn't hurt half as bad as the old nurse jabbing the tetenus injection into my arm.

I did eventually manage to clear the place up (with boots and safety glasses on) but nearly started a bushfire when I tried to burn off some of the cuttings, but thats another story......

I now pay someone to do all the clearing up and can sit back under the mango tree with a beer and watch, as you should.

I brought the Honda 4 stroke one it is pretty good. Come to think of it the 5 bikes are all hondas and even my dogs name is Honda :o

Edited by Rigger

"7. Motorcycle cable oiler (If any one knows how to get hold of one of these please let me know!)"

Bung, never seen one in Thailand, sure someone has them.

even a hard to find item here in the states. I've had mine since the 70's!

post-17260-1137817469.jpg

This topic has made my morning. :o It is so so sweet. :D

Keep reading ...this could be the thread where you see real genuine human values , total and absolute love ,sentiment and dedication . The showing of a mans true feelings and heart ...in a divorce a man may have to give up the wife ,kids , house ,the furniture , photographs even the car ..but rarely his tools the special ones !!!!. Even if he cannot keep them in his new studio flat he will get his dad or best friend to look after them , and then he never looks back at his dining room or lounge with fond memories ...but the workshop in the basement ,garage or shed he will dream and talk about them and grieve their loss till the end of his days .. Secrets from the inner sanctum , having given these away I may well be banned ...sorry guys a moment of weakness forgive me

I was going to boycott this thread as I find it too painful to think about it but as I appear to be in sympathetic company I will join in.

I used to have my own engineering company in UK with my own personal workshop which was equipped with any and every tool that I needed regardless of costs.

Most of my tools were SnapOn but even they didn't make every tool that I needed so I would search out tool makers that made all sorts of special tools. I probably had the biggest collection of bearing pullers in the UK, plus the precision stuff such as digital bore gauges and digital calipers. My set of Webster gauges alone cost over 1000 quid.

What happened you might ask (if you haven't fallen asleep already)

well I sold the business to a tool freak and he wouldn't buy unless I left him everything.

A tool freak, by the way, is someone who owns a set of SnapOn opened enders which have been double polished, laquered and engraved with your name in 18ct gold.

Never undone a nut, they hang on your bedroom wall.

Craftsman tools are great! I have set up a couple of boats toolboxes from there and they are great value, as good as snap off.

You buy them fro a big department store called Sears in the US. It's a good set up, the missus goes and looks and undies or what not and the guy's can go and hang out in the tool section in the basement. It's like something off the set of tool time!

Good on you Sears, you know your customers.

Uma,

C'mon you must have a tool/shed story of watching your dad skinning his knuckles on something or grappling with an unruly piece of equipment??

"7. Motorcycle cable oiler (If any one knows how to get hold of one of these please let me know!)"

Bung, never seen one in Thailand, sure someone has them.

even a hard to find item here in the states. I've had mine since the 70's!

Stop it, I'm drooling!

I am going to email my brother who is still looking after my tools after 10 years and get him to dig it out and send it to me.

I am missing that now that I have seen a picture of one...... :o

I was just leaving Udon Thani heading to Khon Kaen and saw a big tool store. I turned around and went back, left my wife and son in the car still asleep with the engine running and found this place, still just opened full of very good quality tools. It was massive inside and very well set up. They even had a section in the back with farang brand machinist shop gear.

I was amazed, you should check it out. The name alludes me, I could check the casheirs slip when I get home but someone up there must know of it. It was right near the last intersection leaving Udon to KK.

Bring lot's of money, I walked out with way more than I intended to but you would probably be able to set up a very nice workshop from there.

I want to go back there now I've mentioned it!

I'd like to bring a cordless drill in from Oz later.

Any recommendations under A$130.

GMC (chinese) are heavily promoted here. (Aus quality)

12v 14v 18v 24v?

cheers.

GMC

I brought a black and decker from bangkok 3 years ago and it still going strong have even lent it out to thai farmers and even they could,nt stuff it up

I used to have to repair power tools for a living and can recommend Makita. Very reliable, simple and if you ever need a part they are easy to get.

Voltage will depend on what you intend to use it for but 12 will be plenty for most jobs and won't be too heavy. A 14 will do just about anything.

Get one with a 13mm chuck, handy for big drill bit's into wood

Make sure you get a second battery thrown in, then you can work through your tea break!

Don't know if $130 will get you one of those though. If you are only doing small jobs a 9.6 will do.

Don't be tempted to buy a cheap or Chinese one though, it will become a dust collector in no time and you will be back at square one.

They are available in LOS you know.

I've got a friend in Hawaii that brings some tools to me sometimes and it's great. Customs doesn't bother him as he says it's gifts but then he can only bring in so much stuff, the weight is the killer. Next trip, he's supposed to be bringing some air tools for me which will be great. I hope he remembers the Snapon 12v testlight. 55555555

I used to have to repair power tools for a living and can recommend Makita. Very reliable, simple and if you ever need a part they are easy to get.

Voltage will depend on what you intend to use it for but 12 will be plenty for most jobs and won't be too heavy. A 14 will do just about anything.

Thanks bung.

Do the drills/chargers in LOS have 2 wires or 3 (earthed)

Just the kind of info I needed. :o

Uma,

C'mon you must have a tool/shed story of watching your dad skinning his knuckles on something or grappling with an unruly piece of equipment??

It may surprise you that I am a trained motor mechanic with 2 years experience. The tools were the property of the college so I didn't love them as my own!

I also got quite good at installing door speakers and repairing power windows but it wasn't something I wanted as a career, I wanted to prove a point as it is a qualification a woman in the UAA could never get.

I do actually miss my dungarees. :o

Uma,

It may surprise you that I am a trained motor mechanic with 2 years experience. The tools were the property of the college so I didn't love them as my own!

I also got quite good at installing door speakers and repairing power windows but it wasn't something I wanted as a career, I wanted to prove a point as it is a qualification a woman in the UAA could never get.

I bet you looked real hot covered in grease with your dungarees on and a spanner in your hand. You have a foto?

Honey, there's no smiley to portray what I am thinking now, I better stop right there...

You're in Samui right? :D

Uma,

I bet you looked real hot covered in grease with your dungarees on and a spanner in your hand. You have a foto?

Honey, there's no smiley to portray what I am thinking now, I better stop right there...

Hey wes hate to burst your bubble but I think she is probably 17 years old by the way that she posts and she seems to have a hang up with men as every post I have ever read of hers is negative. Or trying to show she has got what it takes to be a man. So we will just play along with her

Uma,

I do actually miss my dungarees. :D

Hey wes hate to burst your bubble but I think she is probably 17 years old by the way that she posts and she seems to have a hang up with men as every post I have ever read of hers is negative. Or trying to show she has got what it takes to be a man. So we will just play along with her

Whatever, but you have to admit she's one hot chick (assuming she has arms and legs and a body) but she does love herself a bit. :o

I sent her a personal message asking her to have dinner with me but she hasn't replied (yet).

Thanks bung.

Do the drills/chargers in LOS have 2 wires or 3 (earthed)

Just the kind of info I needed. :o

The chargers here are 2 pin, no earth because like most power tools, they are double insulated.

Uma,

Don't listen to these boys, good on you for having a go and if you tackled power windows your alright by by me, hate that job.

But you really musn't mention clothes in a forum about tools ok? Otherwise the other boys will tease you again.:D