Thai Tutor In Pattaya

krey

I am looking for a private thai tutor in Pattaya to help me move to the next level. I know the basics, know a lot of words, can read and write some but looking for someone to really help me with conversation and tones and pronounciation

Anyone have any good experiences or can suggest some quality teachers?

Thanks

yeah i have lots of good resources on line, and lots of books but i need some one on one conversation, without goign to the bars to do it... was looking for a good teacher to do so

I have lots of good resources, but there comes a time where u just got to sit there and talk back and forth to really get it, without going to the bar as you say, so was looking for a quality teacher that would understand that

Any of the language schools teach Thai. Try "Text and Talk" behind Tukcom or any other language school really.

There is a Thai Ladyboy (Tomboy really) on SSCC just up from Sukhumvit about 200 meters on the right that says 8000 baht for 40 hours I think. Maybe I will stop there today or tomorrow and ask or get a card for you.

BTW: SSCC = Soi Siam Country Club

Edited by Gone

i found that it is very difficult to unlearn bad prnounciation

and now talks like a trashy issan bar girl

don't make my mistake

Hahaha , me too. I'm often asked where/how I learned to speak my version of Issan bar girl Thai. My answer is always (in Thai) at the Nana Plaza University in Bangkok.

Trashy bar girl Thai is just fine , everybody understands &, if you only associate with trashy bar girls you fit right in, also you learn idiomatic language & slang which is good for everyday communication (& understanding TV soap opreas) What I have seen is that if you learn from a formal school and from books most Thais won't even understand what you are trying to say.

I don't regret learning to speak Thai in girlie bars , I have not tried to learn how to read and write the language.

Regarding the OP's quest for a quality tutor , I would recommend finding a Thai person who is learning English and start a two way exchange,,,,,, my choice would be a trashy Issan bar girl but you'd probably be better off with a person from central Thailand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,not employed in the entertainment industry.

• Like 1

i found that it is very difficult to unlearn bad prnounciation

and now talks like a trashy issan bar girl

don't make my mistake

Hahaha , me too. I'm often asked where/how I learned to speak my version of Issan bar girl Thai. My answer is always (in Thai) at the Nana Plaza University in Bangkok.

Trashy bar girl Thai is just fine , everybody understands &, if you only associate with trashy bar girls you fit right in, also you learn idiomatic language & slang which is good for everyday communication (& understanding TV soap opreas) What I have seen is that if you learn from a formal school and from books most Thais won't even understand what you are trying to say.

I don't regret learning to speak Thai in girlie bars , I have not tried to learn how to read and write the language.

Regarding the OP's quest for a quality tutor , I would recommend finding a Thai person who is learning English and start a two way exchange,,,,,, my choice would be a trashy Issan bar girl but you'd probably be better off with a person from central Thailand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,not employed in the entertainment industry.

What I have seen is that if you learn from a formal school and from books most Thais won't even understand what you are trying to say.

Most Thais? Ok so maybe you are a holiday sexpat? If so then ok I understand and your post makes sense however if you plan to live here and not be a bar monger then the OP's post means maybe he wants to communicate with real Thais.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

What I have seen is that if you learn from a formal school and from books most Thais won't even understand what you are trying to say.

"Most Thais? Ok so maybe you are a holiday sexpat? If so then ok I understand and your post makes sense however if you plan to live here and not be a bar monger then the OP's post means maybe he wants to communicate with real Thais.

No I'm not a holiday sexpat , I'm a F.I.F.O. oil worker & lived here for 20 + years

I offered an idea to the OP on how to learn tones in Thai language,,,,,, via a 2 way exchange rather than at a school.

The OP may not be a bar monger but I'm sure he want's to communicate with all Thais , not just who you refer to as "real Thais"

As mentioned I have seen people who have learnt Thai at school & who can't make themselves understood , maybe this is a reflection of a poor school system , also it seems that no matter how hard some people try they can never grasp the language.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame and counter flam

I am a 9 year Thai student. Mostly self taught from You Tube and the classroom too. It's very accurate that the way Thai is taught in school is not the Thai spoken on the streets. Sure you might turn a few heads if you can speak royal Thai. The real word is MAI PEN RAI but who doesn't say MAY-BA-LAI? The correct word for "pardon?" is ARAINA. But who doesn't say ALAINA?

• Like 1

I am a 9 year Thai student. Mostly self taught from You Tube and the classroom too. It's very accurate that the way Thai is taught in school is not the Thai spoken on the streets. Sure you might turn a few heads if you can speak royal Thai. The real word is MAI PEN RAI but who doesn't say MAY-BA-LAI? The correct word for "pardon?" is ARAINA. But who doesn't say ALAINA?

WOWWW You most definetly have been going to the wrong schools. Actually Pardon is: Kha Thot..............ARAINA = what?

If you learn from the streets or bar girls alone you would probably say "aria whaaa!!" and eventually have your head beaten in by a Thai. Or you will end up calling your girlfriend "dakling"

Just the same as when we were young and in school back home, we were taught English NOT street English. Street talk is learned after earning a language.

Eg. English in school: Please look at that not so good looking prostitute with that gang member.

English on the street: Yo, check the skanky ho bitch ass ugly mofo hitting that hommie yo.

When you go to a proper Thai school you learn to read and write which is 50% of learning the tones, long/short vowels, open sala words etc. and should be able to speak perfect Thai (not Royal Thai.) Learning slang comes from being able to speak to Thais in conversation anywhere and comes naturally.

Edited by Gone

As the OP yes I am aware you can learn some thai in Bars. However I am not a bar guy, I go once or twice a month and usually talk about the same things with the Thai Girls. I seethere is some benefit in it but I was looking for a more official one one one conversation with a thai tutor that has a wider range of knowledge.. some people have messed me with a couple ideas and i thank you for that!

hello, i see you are looking for a Thai teacher to learn Thai. i am a teacher myself and i have very good connections and friends that are looking for learners to learn Thai. if you are interested go into text and talk near tukcom and ask for stuart.

hello, i see you are looking for a Thai teacher to learn Thai. i am a teacher myself and i have very good connections and friends that are looking for learners to learn Thai. if you are interested go into text and talk near tukcom and ask for stuart.

I already told the OP that I think lol.

Me & my schoolmates have come to one single conclusion:

Bpoo is the best teacher we tried, if not downright the only teacher worth the time.

Able & willing to explain unlike the rest of the bunch, and giving homework for feedback,and that homework is tailored to You

She does only private teaching at the moment, and is located on soi batman, 148/328 Soi 46/3

Edited by poanoi

How are you getting on in your search? Are you willing to consider going to a language school to learn Thai to the next level that you want? I ask as I know of a good one in your area. The teachers are really good and they do private classes too. If you go in and tell them exactly what you want they should be able to assess you level and make some interesting class for your personal needs.

I have been going to that school for 3 years now and I know students are very satisfied with the quality of teachers and teaching materials etc. If you are interested they do free trial one hour lessons. The school is called Pro Language..

Good luck in whatever you decided to do and let us know what you do. biggrin.png

I can give the coordinates of my teacher if anyone sends me a private message.

If your teacher taught you that "araina" means "excuse me" then I'm not sure you should be giving out those coordinates. lol. Sorry, just taking the piss.