Chevy Sonic

Saw the new Sonic yesterday, in 4 doors version it looks pretty cool, specially from front. Bit like the Lancer Ex. Decent size and quality. Yet to test drive it. Anybody did give it a try? How is the engine?

Shame it is just a normally aspired 1.4, as in Europe it has a turbo added and is tested very well.

Not officially launched but delivery could be 1-2 months as per sales staff comments. Would rather get this than waiting 11 months for a Swift....

If the Thai models are the ones assembled at its US plant, I can say with first hand knowledge that this is a well put together car. The new 'GM', having learned it's lesson from past mistakes, is now really stressing 'Quality as job 1' in all their mfg & assy plants after having been on the brink of liquidation.

I have no info how the performance of the Sonic's mechanical components compare with other cars in its class, but this car has 2 engines and a turbocharge if I can remember correctly.

Not officially launched but delivery could be 1-2 months as per sales staff comments

Why so long ? Chevy showroom down on the main road yesterday had at least 30 parked outside...

Would rather get this than waiting 11 months for a Swift....

Sonic 150k more is a lot more expensive

Went shopping late yesterday and Big C Extra, Chevy had a stand outside. They had 4 models there the Sonic saloon was one of them, salesman said all are were in stock, so say the Sonic hatch will be 2 months or so.......... not interested in a saloon, but looks good, still can't help thinking it is a Daewoo with a Chevy nose job.......... Will wait and see what the new Chevy Trax will cost

Went shopping late yesterday and Big C Extra, Chevy had a stand outside. They had 4 models there the Sonic saloon was one of them, salesman said all are were in stock, so say the Sonic hatch will be 2 months or so.......... not interested in a saloon, but looks good, still can't help thinking it is a Daewoo with a Chevy nose job.......... Will wait and see what the new Chevy Trax will cost

Not quite sure, but I don't think it is a Daewoo developed car (like the Aveo), but I could well be wrong. It did get very decent reviews and seems a car which is build well (feels heavy steel), etc and handles well....

I was at the dealer with in the hour, they had their first one in.

I like the looks but,

only a 1.4 L lackluster engline. a dash I am not sure about, and just nothing specail including the price.

Wife wants a Swift that is 200,000 Bt. less, handles better and gets better KPL

I want the Nissan that has more room inside, for 200,000 Bt. less and gets better KPL

Sorry sonic, Maybe when the NGV model comes out in a year I will give it another look or the Turbo unit make it here

Forget Daewoo,those days have long gone ,cars are now built at Rayong where there is a modern factory ,i have had an Optra for 7 years(i intended keeping it 1) fantastic car ,never had a moments trouble with it and it still looks and drives like a new car ,as for the sonic ,terrific reviews ,far better than the swift ,unfortunatly the engine is a bit small ,but then the Thai versions of any car are always more expensive and have less than European or American built cars.

Forget Daewoo,those days have long gone ,cars are now built at Rayong where there is a modern factory ,i have had an Optra for 7 years(i intended keeping it 1) fantastic car ,never had a moments trouble with it and it still looks and drives like a new car ,as for the sonic ,terrific reviews ,far better than the swift ,unfortunatly the engine is a bit small ,but then the Thai versions of any car are always more expensive and have less than European or American built cars.

The only problem is No ABS or Airbags unless paying 700,000 baht for the top LTZ model, the Swift has them and far cheaper.

The only problem is No ABS or Airbags unless paying 700,000 baht for the top LTZ model, the Swift has them and far cheaper.

yes ,but a suzuki swift ,? its a kiddie carsmile.png

Forget the Swift or any eco-car and consider not the Sonic, which is a bastardization of the 1.4 turbo 10-air-bag-standard US version, but instead test drive the Aveo. I don't think hardly anyone who buys a B-segment like a Honda City or Toyota Vios even bothers to test drive an Aveo but that's their loss; my wife has an Aveo 1.4 and it's given us 4 years of reliable driving - it's spacious and handles well. Chevrolet are continuing to sell only the Aveo with factory-fitted CNG; for anyone wanting cheap fuel bills and living in an area with CNG stations, the Aveo remains a bargain and blows eco-cars into the dust.

Forget the Swift or any eco-car and consider not the Sonic, which is a bastardization of the 1.4 turbo 10-air-bag-standard US version, but instead test drive the Aveo. I don't think hardly anyone who buys a B-segment like a Honda City or Toyota Vios even bothers to test drive an Aveo but that's their loss; my wife has an Aveo 1.4 and it's given us 4 years of reliable driving - it's spacious and handles well. Chevrolet are continuing to sell only the Aveo with factory-fitted CNG; for anyone wanting cheap fuel bills and living in an area with CNG stations, the Aveo remains a bargain and blows eco-cars into the dust.

And how much is this wonder car?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Terribly dated, inside and out, and very poor residuals. Spacious? Really?

Factory fitted CNG is good though. Where is the tank? Hope it's not in the boot, cos then that spacious comment really does baffle me!

Terribly dated, inside and out, and very poor residuals. Spacious? Really?

Factory fitted CNG is good though. Where is the tank? Hope it's not in the boot, cos then that spacious comment really does baffle me!

in my understanding the Sonic is the replacement of the AVEO; which in general has not been a good success worldwide (if you read about the Sonic, they will always bring up the AVEO). I agree would love to have the Sonic in the 1.4 turbo version...this would make it one of the 'BEST' cars in this segment, if not the BEST engine wise....just don't get it why they don't do it! Take a little risk and bring something new and get the market rolling...Pretty sure the first car company who brings in a Compact car with a bit more oomph will see good sales. (or maybe I am just biased and dreaming).

in my understanding the Sonic is the replacement of the AVEO; which in general has not been a good success worldwide (if you read about the Sonic, they will always bring up the AVEO). I agree would love to have the Sonic in the 1.4 turbo version...this would make it one of the 'BEST' cars in this segment, if not the BEST engine wise....just don't get it why they don't do it! Take a little risk and bring something new and get the market rolling...Pretty sure the first car company who brings in a Compact car with a bit more oomph will see good sales. (or maybe I am just biased and dreaming).

Quite so but here the attitude seems to be from a lot of the manufacturer's that the market is less discerning and that they can get away with cutting costs by selling older technology.

• Like 1

And how much is this wonder car?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Same price as the Sonic in 1.4 form.........

The Avro CNG has the 1.6 old engine and cost a lot more..

So the LS model with a dated 4 speed auto is 709.000 baht

The Sonic same spec but 1.4 engine and 6 speed auto cost 578,000 baht..

As for the Turbo version guess that will not come here as is manual only

• Like 1

wondering how different the thai non-turbo engine block, internals, compression ratio etc if it would be viable to get the parts to upgrade it to a turbo?

would think a manufacture spec turbo install, maybe with a mild remap would be more reliable day to day than an aftermarket conversion?

cheers

wondering how different the thai non-turbo engine block, internals, compression ratio etc if it would be viable to get the parts to upgrade it to a turbo?

would think a manufacture spec turbo install, maybe with a mild remap would be more reliable day to day than an aftermarket conversion?

cheers

Was just wondering the same thing. Would they just make the 1.4 with forged internals as per the norm and then just leave off the turbo? Or would they be making weaker internals as well. If it's forged internals an aftermarket turbo install would be fine, just get whatever the rest of the sonic/cruze community is upgrading to. If it's a plain jane engine, maybe a beefed up after market kit for large HP would be an option, though then you would be looking at 100-300k extra in parts...

cheers

Problem for me would be here in Thailand the manual version is only a normal 5 speed + has no ABS or Airbags..!!

As said already other markets the Turbo has 6 speed + ABS + 10 airbags

I no longer pay any attention to brand names. If there are any bad brands, I have never heard about them first hand. The only things I hear come from prejudiced, for one reason or another, Thai Visa posters.

I did hear first hand complaints from Thai employees about the Tata pickup trucks. Their companies bought the NGV trucks for their drivers. Apparently the Tata NGV lacks power and that irritates the drivers. They also hate waiting in line to get fueled up. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the truck.

• Like 1

cheers

Problem for me would be here in Thailand the manual version is only a normal 5 speed + has no ABS or Airbags..!!

As said already other markets the Turbo has 6 speed + ABS + 10 airbags

and is cheaper.

^^ "Apparently the Tata NGV lacks power..."

Sure does when loaded down with Glacier bottled water; but my Glacier-water delivery guys love their Tata.

Were I of Indian descent I might too. But I'm a Honda-kinda guy.

But hey, I will check out the Sonic, and the Ford Fusion if ever 'twer deigned to be produced in Thailand.

Edited by tango