Uk Birth Certificate For New Born Infant

DreamRider

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here we go.

I have recently acquired a UK passport for my 10 month old son, (me Brit, Thai girlfriend) but have recently been made aware that it is possible to also obtain a "long form" UK Birth certificate through the Bangkok embassy.

Does anyone know of this, or achieved this?? If so, could you enlighten me as to the procedure.

I can't see anything on the fco website regarding this .. registering a birth is about as far as it goes .. I think!

Many thanks

Are they British Birth Certificates or Birth Registrations? There is a difference. We are both British so our little girl is British too, however she can't have a British Birth "Certificate". This is because a Birth Certificate shows that the person was born in a particular country, yet she was born here in Thailand. She has a Thai Birth Certificate (beautiful), authorised translation and a British Consular Birth Registration that registers her with the General Register Office in England. She has a British passport that clearly states that she is a British Citizen as both parents are British born (there have to be 2 relatives in the past 3 generations (I believe)).

If you look at the document you have it will show the child's "Claim to Citizenship" in section 4. Down in section 18 you will see the "Date of registration" and then at the foot you will see the words "Registration Officer at British Embassy Bangkok do hereby certify that this is a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody." This is a Birth Registration, not a Birth Certificate. Our daughter will never have a British Birth Certificate because she was not born in a British jurisdiction. My sister, who was born in Bermuda, DOES have a British Birth Certificate, as does my father who was born in Bombay before we handed back power.

Please read this link as it gives the Embassy version of events. Paragraph 2 (for those that aren't THAT interested) states:

"This is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as one. It should not take the place of the locally issued birth certificate."

• Like 1

As i understand it, if you take your registration of birth to your local births deaths and marriages office, they will give you an actual birth certificate, on it will say registered in England, or Scotland etc. However where its says place of birth, it can say either overseas or you the parent can specify a country of birth. Your child is entitled to be a Uk citizen as long as one of the parents is an uk national and registered the birth ofnthe child within 6 weeks if you are in the uk or within 12 months if you are overseas.

• Like 1

As i understand it, if you take your registration of birth to your local births deaths and marriages office, they will give you an actual birth certificate, on it will say registered in England, or Scotland etc. However where its says place of birth, it can say either overseas or you the parent can specify a country of birth. Your child is entitled to be a Uk citizen as long as one of the parents is an uk national and registered the birth ofnthe child within 6 weeks if you are in the uk or within 12 months if you are overseas.

Good information, thank you. I will sort that out next time we're in the UK.

• 8 months later...