Do Thai People Meditate Formally Together In Public?

spacedcowboy

Hi

Do Thai people meditate formally together in public? I've never seen or heard of any groups specifically for this purpose.

I was literally falling over people meditating in various nooks and crannies whilst in Burma the whole country seems really into meditating.

Any ex-pat married of living with a partner have any knowledge of where the Thai people (in-laws) etc meditate, are these places of formal practice hidden from Western eyes. It's a mystery to me.

Mainly in temples or special meditation centres...not really in public view visible to passers-by.

Yes the Burmese are much more into meditation than the Thais, who prefer chanting (the easier option...but not as effective).

Agreed. One of the reasons I really admire the Burmese and Mon as well.

• Like 1

Quite a few temples hold meditation sessions for the public, often combined with dhamma talks and chanting. Some temples specify in retreats, but only some will have instruction available in English. So it's around, and available, for those who seek it. Ask around.

But the greater majority do not seem to seek it, rather they'll offer donations, partake in rituals, ask for blessings, etc. And many temples emphasize chanting and scripture studies over meditation, too.

• Like 1

But the greater majority do not seem to seek it, rather they'll offer donations, partake in rituals, ask for blessings, etc. And many temples emphasize chanting and scripture studies over meditation, too.

Interesting, I can see that the Thai temples are well supported by the locals in regard to the offering of donations, partaking of rituals and receiving blessings, but just have never actually seen anyone practising meditation individually or in groups except obviously within retreat settings.

Interesting, I can see that the Thai temples are well supported by the locals in regard to the offering of donations, partaking of rituals and receiving blessings, but just have never actually seen anyone practising meditation individually or in groups except obviously within retreat settings.

They do exist though. Quite a few in Mueang Loei and the surround areas in the mountains (I come from those temples though am now in Bangkok studying, though will return soon). Many have no electricity, water for washing is taken from the local stream, technology is nowhere to be found and signals for telephones are non-existent. The monks there are very much about meditation and the main focus of what is taught. From what I've observed though laypeople rarely stay, though. Peace and quite. Very real peace and quiet.

If you're really interested just keep on searching. What will come up will come up as necessary. Good luck!

Edited by hookedondhamma
  • Like 1