Dog Mange

I am convinced - through net research- that my landlord's dog has the mange. She hangs around my porch a lot shaking herself, is covered in sores, has acute hair loss, and is miserable. The owner ignores my plea's to have her treated and as she stinks to high heaven I won't put her in my car.

What is the best way to treat mange? Medicine in her food or have a vet visit for injections?

There are injections, also shampoos that work quite well. Nothing that goes in the food as far as I am aware. Note, if you opt for the shampoo route it will clearly have to be you doing the shampooing! Irresponsible dog owners are the bane of my existence!

What is the best way to treat mange?

1 ivermectin injection s/c every week

2 soak with amitraz solution

3 supportive as

- itchy = antihistamine

- 2nd bacterial infection = antibiotic

-vitamin as B complex , Zinc ,Vit C and also fish oil ,primrose oil

from experience , just 1# is ok

I am convinced - through net research- that my landlord's dog has the mange. She hangs around my porch a lot shaking herself, is covered in sores, has acute hair loss, and is miserable. The owner ignores my plea's to have her treated and as she stinks to high heaven I won't put her in my car.

What is the best way to treat mange? Medicine in her food or have a vet visit for injections?

Ivermec shots are very effective. Though I found out there is an alternative containing the same substance (ivermectin), that you can use when taking a dog to the vet (or the vet to the dog) is not an option. Also good when the dog is scared/angry and might bite. This is the tablet Vormec. For treatment of mange you should use the strength 8000 microgram, once a week for 6-10 weeks. One injection with ivermec normally contains 10000 mcg so the effect should be about as good with the pills. I fed it in rice and the dogs ate it. But be careful if the dogs looks like a mix with collie, sheepdog or other herding dog. Then there is a big risc for sever side effects that might lead to death. I know you can use another newer substance then, but don't remember the name for the moment.

I am now treating a dog in Pattya and after second injection of ivermec he became ill, so keep an eye on the dog during treatment.

Maybe the dog should also have some antibiotics if she has skin infections. I know antibiotics with the substance metrinidazol is good for skin infections.

Good luck and great that you care for the dog!

By the way, the cost for 10 pills would be approximately 800 baht. If you don't find the 8000 strength, there are usually 5000 mcg, use 2 of these. You buy the pills at the vet's.

Edited by Linisha

This is the tablet Vormec. For treatment of mange you should use the strength 8000 microgram, once a week for 6-10 weeks. One injection with ivermec normally contains 10000 mcg so the effect should be about as good with the pills.

actually , in mange we need 800-1000 mcg/kg if you wanna use pill indeed , you have to correct the dosage for matching with dog's weight

I fed it in rice and the dogs ate it. But be careful if the dogs looks like a mix with collie, sheepdog or other herding dog. Then there is a big risc for sever side effects that might lead to death. I know you can use another newer substance then, but don't remember the name for the moment.

Milbemycin Oxime (Interceptor®)

ivermec has effect to GABA receptor, in Brain , normally in healthy dog ,they will have Blood-Brain Barrier for protect , in case of collie /shepland and some dogs who has a prob with brain, we dont use IVM

Maybe the dog should also have some antibiotics if she has skin infections. I know antibiotics with the substance metrinidazol is good for skin infections.

Metronidazole, is bacteriocidal, for anaerobic bacterial , we will use it in abcess , deep wound ,coccidiosis,food poisioning,GI tract infection

drug of choice for dermatitis =

Sulfa-trimethroprim

Norfloxacin

Amoxycillin+Clavulinic acid

Cepharosporin group

For another 500 he can take the landlord instead.

Showering them when the vet. doesn't have time to come really helps. Do it one per week and very soon (first signs within days) the hair starts growing out again.

Only not that as soon as it start going to far, with really darkened areas and heavy hairloss, the leather-type-effect and darkening of the skin is permanent... get it fixed as soon as you see the first signs!

(Manage to quickly stop my dog from having any problems when I saw first 'scratchmarks' and thining of hair on the back towards the tail.)