Four Tourists Reportedly Killed In Phuket Discotheque Fire

webfact

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the Tiger Group is untouchable in Patong. When the crackdown occurred in March, the Phuket Gazette ran this story;

Agreed. The principals will not get arrested ( at least for anything serious, although perhaps a minor fire law violation), there will be some sort of token payout, and everything will be back to status quo come high season. These guys have deep pockets and a lot of influential friends.

RIP to the deceased who were only trying to have a good time on a night out.

I am so sure, Phuket is still reeling from all the bad publicity in the Internally press it has recieved this year. It is trying to rebuild it's reputation on the international stage as a safe holiday destination. The two who murdered the travel agent were arrested and convicted very quickly because of the bad international press reports. This story has alread gone viral and the lead story on many media outlets around the world. If the fire escapes were found to be obstructed or even worse locked and the poor victims were located near them there will be huge international interest. Heads will roll for the tourists baht

<snip>

Wow. I am sure there isn't an honest bar, disco or karaoke owner in Thailand. It's all a snake pit. Now, how does the owner and the local police commander explain that there were people in the place at a time that it's not supposed to be open? Perfect timing to start a crackdown on that sort of lowlife corruption.

Closure means closing the front door and shut the bars, but existing customers can stay on if allowed by the management but they can purchase no more drinks, but the music and the dancing can continue.

However, many Disco's carry on regardless of legal procedures, but it does of course not create a fire, a fire can occur at any time and is mainly caused by electric installation problems, or by burning cooking oil in kitchen deep-fryers.

Nevertheless, local authorities should visit night clubs in order to ensure that the security exits are appropriate for the size of their authorized admission numbers, and then should visit from time to time during opening hours to check that the exit doors are always unlocked in order to provide a fire escape for the internal masses.

safety first? why is their no sprinkler system in place ? why is the bars open after trading hours ? with so many tourists dieing every week, no wonder not many tourists are going ? cant blame it all on natural causes . thai goverment should look deep into WORKSAFE! rather than counting the billions of bht they are hopeing to get over the next three years! ( no tourist, no bht.) land of smiles or the land of tears or fears? ITS A SHAME! the place I love ! its going to pot !!! who is policeing trading hours ? a lot of answers needed for this one? GOD OR BUDHA was not happy !!!!!!!!!!!!.

A toy factory burned in the late 90's when i worked in Bankoks jewelry district, many deaths and the doors were locked to prevent workers from pilfering a toy. Hope they don't still do that crap now.

The hospital reports the dead bodies are unrecognizable, can't even determine gender, yet the police believe they are tourists, based on what? based on their need to spout &lt;deleted&gt; just so it appears they have a clue.

• Like 1

<snip>

Wow. I am sure there isn't an honest bar, disco or karaoke owner in Thailand. It's all a snake pit. Now, how does the owner and the local police commander explain that there were people in the place at a time that it's not supposed to be open? Perfect timing to start a crackdown on that sort of lowlife corruption.

Closure means closing the front door and shut the bars, but existing customers can stay on if allowed by the management but they can purchase no more drinks, but the music and the dancing can continue.

However, many Disco's carry on regardless of legal procedures, but it does of course not create a fire, a fire can occur at any time and is mainly caused by electric installation problems, or by burning cooking oil in kitchen deep-fryers.

Nevertheless, local authorities should visit night clubs in order to ensure that the security exits are appropriate for the size of their authorized admission numbers, and then should visit from time to time during opening hours to check that the exit doors are always unlocked in order to provide a fire escape for the internal masses.

I have noticed a few clubs that I have been to do continue after hours, with music and drinks. They simply lock the doors so new arrivals can't enter and unlock as individuals want to leave. Personal observations that I have witnessed, been in them whilst it happens.

I go to Tiger Disco rarely for this reason. Most people don't notice, but when I'm in Tiger, i think about the exits and the fire exit setup is bizzare. Note: After Santika, the fire inspections were visable in Patong regularly. These inspections likely saved many lives last night!

From the main dance floor:

• To the front entrance, likely where most people would run to, narrow (2+meters) between the mezzanine stairs and bar and about 10 meters (through the front part of the disco) to the double doors, from the outdoor patio/entranceway on the 2nd floor, it is then about another 12-15 meters to the scariest spiral staircase, then 5 meters through (narrow) 1st floor Tiger Bars to Bangla Rd. Think stampede!

• At least 2 other fire doors on the back of the disco, maybe more. I've looked on a regular basis, and they appear to not be locked.

• Here's the crazy thing, there are SEVERAL more fire exits (3, if I was to guess) - up on the mezzanine level. They appear to have been installed after construction, which is good. So, you have to go up, to go down, I've gone through this mantra often, wondering if I would remember if there was a panic. BUT, I would bet that very few people (even Thais) knew of these escape routes/doors.

Last night I left Tai Pan about 2am, things were rockin'. I assume Tiger and Hollywood were packed. After bad press caught BKKs attention of deaths (in Hollywood disco, I think) and the assassination attempt in Phuket town early in the year they had a firm 3am closing... for quite some time, slipping to 3:30 then to appx 4:30. Less than 2 weeks age they inched back to 5am.

Really ? and in Hollywood where is the fire exit ? Tiger had, in HW there isn't.

Fire in Phuket kills 4 and injures 11 others

PHUKET, 17 August 2012 (NNT) - Phuket authorities confirmed that a fire at a nightclub early this morning killed four people and injured 11 others.

Undersecretary of the Governor’s Office Chaiwat Thepi said fire broke out at Tiger disco club in Patong beach at 4 AM local time, killing at least four people, believed to be 2 foreign tourists and 2 Thai nationals. Police are awaiting results from the autopsy to identify the dead.

According to local police, the cause of the fire appears to be lightning which struck a nearby transformer at around 2 AM.

Mr Chaiwat added that the Patong municipality has cordoned off the burnt building and is preparing to send civil engineering teams to inspect the damages the building sustained from the fire.

The provincial authorities are set to start the compensation process for fire victims soon.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-17 footer_n.gif

If this was at all likely everh building in thailand would have burnt down 100000000 times by now.

Call it intuition, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be slightly exaggerating here...

How many lightening strikes per year in Thailand? How many hit transformers in built up areas? If they do, what odd s only a single premises goes up in an inferno?

If the odd s were remotely likely, buildings would be going up every day all over the country.

RT @191Thailand: Pictures of Tiger pub after the fire & one of the injured (Daily News) http://yfrog.com/mm8m7sjj http://yfrog.com/ocbyiouj

8m7sj.jpg

Which policeman will be tranferred to sharpening the pencils and filling the inkwells for allowing illegal trading hours ?

The whole alleyway looks like a death trap

safety first? why is their no sprinkler system in place ? why is the bars open after trading hours ? with so many tourists dieing every week, no wonder not many tourists are going ? cant blame it all on natural causes . thai goverment should look deep into WORKSAFE! rather than counting the billions of bht they are hopeing to get over the next three years! ( no tourist, no bht.) land of smiles or the land of tears or fears? ITS A SHAME! the place I love ! its going to pot !!! who is policeing trading hours ? a lot of answers needed for this one? GOD OR BUDHA was not happy !!!!!!!!!!!!.

I feel sad for all relatives and friends of the deceased. Let's hope the injured ones will have a speedy and full recovery. But I also feel sad about posts like yours.

You might have to "fall in love" with another holiday destination......wai.gif .

If the odd s were remotely likely, buildings would be going up every day all over the country.

...and by your calculations every one of them would have burned down 100000000 times each... wink.png

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

Well some have been standing for 50 years. What odds dinky wiring.

Dinky wiring in Thailand, fires electicutions and the like, umm can I get back to you on that onethumbsup.gif

Phuket Gazette reported: "Security guards are now allowing controlled access to let bar owners in to check their properties."

Great way to protect a potential crime scene. Let the owners in so they can have the opportunity to remove those problematic little things that might be called evidence.

Like perhaps, locks and chains on exit doors or any obstructions designed to prevent people from accessing the exits.

You have to wonder what "influential people" and maybe police officers are the owners/silent partners of Tiger Disco.

I find it totally amazing that this event hasn't happened more often in Thailand. Bangkok has so many places that aren't designed properly for escape in fire or whatever. It is only a matter of time before this plays out again in Patpong, Silom Soi 2, Silom Soi 4, Soi Cowboy or many other Bangkok locations. Santika Club wasn't a one off incident. Chiang Mai and Pattaya are also problems getting ready to happen. Most Thai entertainment establishment have similar problems. Safety cost big money and the owners don't want to spend it.

<snip> It has to do with proper safe design of exits and facilities and police and fire/building inspectors doing a responsible job and inspections. Thailand is about making money and human life and safety aren't part of that equation.

Edited by soundman
Name calling.
  • Like 2

Phuket Gazette reported: "Security guards are now allowing controlled access to let bar owners in to check their properties."

Great way to protect a potential crime scene. Let the owners in so they can have the opportunity to remove those problematic little things that might be called evidence.

Like perhaps, locks and chains on exit doors or any obstructions designed to prevent people from accessing the exits.

You have to wonder what "influential people" and maybe police officers are the owners/silent partners of Tiger Disco.

I find it totally amazing that this event hasn't happened more often in Thailand. Bangkok has so many places that aren't designed properly for escape in fire or whatever. It is only a matter of time before this plays out again in Patpong, Silom Soi 2, Silom Soi 4, Soi Cowboy or many other Bangkok locations. Santika Club wasn't a one off incident. Chiang Mai and Pattaya are also problems getting ready to happen. Most Thai entertainment establishment have similar problems. Safety cost big money and the owners don't want to spend it.

<snip> It has to do with proper safe design of exits and facilities and police and fire/building inspectors doing a responsible job and inspections. Thailand is about making money and human life and safety aren't part of that equation.

Do you really expect a far less developed economy to have the same health & safety standards as richer, fully developed economies? Give it time, maybe 50 years, and it might be achieved.

Tiger fire ‘sounded like a bomb’, report staff

Phuket Gazette

pg1.jpeg

A woman waits beside a friend's bed at Patong Hospital as the victim recovers from the Tiger Disco fire early this morning. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

pg2.jpeg

Thamrongsak Boonrak, Legal Counsel for Tiger Discotheque, said compensation will be paid in full. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Staff at the Tiger Discotheque in Patong initially thought the sound of an exploding transformer was a bomb, which caused people to panic and stampede towards the door when fire broke out at the Phuket venue early this morning. Four people were killed and at least 12 others injured, according to officials.

Thamrongsak Boonrak, Legal Counsel for Tiger Discotheque, told the Phuket Gazette this morning: “The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but I have been told that lightning struck a transformer. The power shut down and came back on three times before staff heard an explosion. At first they thought it was a bomb."

“People panicked and ran. Then a fire broke out and people started choking on the smoke. People stampeded for the exits, trampling one another as they ran for the doors,” he said.

“Our staff tried to fight the fire with more than 30 extinguishers. If they hadn't fought the fire, there would have been many more people injured. They stayed as long as they could to fight the fire, but in the end they had to leave the building,” he added.

Mr Thamrongsak assured that the club owners will compensate victims caught in the fire, as well as their families.

“The club is insured. Compensation will be paid in full for the people who were injured and the families of the those who died in this tragedy."

“We are not going to deny any responsibility. We will not let this affect Thailand’s reputation as a tourism destination. We have already arranged to cover medical expenses at the hospital,” he said.

Mr Thamrongsak said he was not sure of the total cost of property damage at this stage.

As legal counsel for the Tiger Group of entertainment companies that operate in Patong, Mr Thamrongsak added that the nightclub building complied with all building regulations.

“It is fully legal,” he said.

However, he added, “I don’t think the building can be used anymore. We will have to talk to the owner, as we rent the premises."

“I will talk with Patong Municipality. If they say the building must be pulled down, we will ask the owner to do it. We would not risk public safety by re-opening [the club] in a building with structural damage by fire."

Asked why patrons were still inside the nightclub at 4am, Mr Thamrongsak replied, “Heavy rain started to fall at about 1am, the time we usually close. That’s why people did not want to leave the club.

“It was still packed when the fire broke out [at 4am],” he said.

For more photos of the fire and the rescue effort, click here.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/2012/Tiger-fire-sounded-like-a-bomb-report-staff-16688.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-17

What a terrible tragedy for the people visiting Phuket, clubs allowed to be open after legal closing hours, packed full with no capacity laws or proper fire protection in place. Everyone accepting the payoffs from this greedy club owner, should be held responsible... Too bad the Thai authorities are so greedy and are not smart enough to leave things alone that work.... Like the old Shark Club & Discotheque..... very doubtful anything like this would have happened. Patong was a much better place then, there was some style to the place. Thai authorities responsible for yet another tragedy.

Hopefully the International community will demand that Thailand hold all persons responsible for this, and that they are made accountable, and given the severest punishment by law.

S. Martin

Edited by metisdead
: Font reset.

Why is it important what time this event occurred? Because the owners are bribing the police to allow them to trade illegally, and every BIB at the local station up to and including the commander could hardly fail to notice the noise created.

So what? Do you think the BIB accepting bribes are going to police other violations and risk their corruption being revealed? It would be interesting to see how many times arrests have made for drug dealing, under-age drinking, spirit substitution or any other of the offences likely to occur on these premises. Safety rules violations wouldn't even rate a mention.

And I am not smearing Phuket - the same thing happens on Samui, Pattaya and many other areas.