Excess Luggage Storage Question

skydancer

Visiting Thailand for 60 more days. Booked flight with AsiaStar and just read the baggage inforamtion and realized that we have too much luggage. Husband and I each have one large bag and one carry-on. Also have my purse from hel_l that my husband says I could live out of for a few days (ha ha).

Our large bags exceed 20kg check-through limit and carry-on exceeds 7kg limit. We have trimmed down as much as possible by giving away clothes, shoes, books, etc., but my medical equipment and electronics are where the weight is and I can't get rid of those. The excess baggage fine is quite stiff and I would have to pay it for all flights. Also want to fly to Krabi, Chiang Mai, etc.

Is there a convenient place in Bangkok for us to store luggage? The motel where we are staying doesn't have a facility to store luggage for an extended period of time.

Does anyone in Bangkok want to store some luggage for me? Do you know of a place where I could store it? Would need to access it between trips to dip into my store of vitamins, special lotions, etc.

Skydancer

There's a left baggage facility at the airport in BKK. There's one (or maybe more) in one of the international terminals, I don't remember which terminal though. And another at the domestic terminal. But it's not cheap. I remember something like 100 Baht per day, but they might have a discount for longer periods, though not sure about that. At the international terminal they wanted to open and search my bags before leaving. But it took me 30 minutes to get it closed during packing because it was so overfilled, so I wasn't about to open it again. I went to the domestic terminal left baggage and they accepted it without having me open it.

Thank you, Soju.

Your information was just want I needed. I laughed about your overfilled bag because I have had to sit on mine before to get it zipped. No way I could get all of the stuff back in if it was searched. We will get to the airport extra early to assure for time to find the left baggage facility.

Deborah

There's a left baggage facility at the airport in BKK. There's one (or maybe more) in one of the international terminals, I don't remember which terminal though. And another at the domestic terminal. But it's not cheap. I remember something like 100 Baht per day, but they might have a discount for longer periods, though not sure about that. At the international terminal they wanted to open and search my bags before leaving. But it took me 30 minutes to get it closed during packing because it was so overfilled, so I wasn't about to open it again. I went to the domestic terminal left baggage and they accepted it without having me open it.

Bag storage is 90 baht/day at the International Terminals and 70 baht/day at the Domestic Terminal. I haven't stored a bag at domestic in a while so the charges may have been equalized between terminals.

You never know what's going to happen with the low-cost airlines and their excess baggage charges. Sometimes they make you pay for each and every gram overweight and sometimes they don't seem to care. Best to plan on paying the charges and then be happy if they look the other way.

Thanks to everyone for your advise. Prior to posting I was searching the airport layout for the word "lockers". I never would have thought that left luggage meant that I could store luggage there. I thought it was a place to go to claim your luggage when your bag arrived late - on a later flight. Live and learn.

Skydancer

if you are in downtown area, there is a left luggage-counter at Hua Lamphong Railway station too, and cheaper than the one at the airport, as far as I remember.....