Can't They Build Anything Straight Here ?

Butterfly

Am I the only one who think that Thai builders can't build anything "straight" here ? even in the "expensive" projects ? from walls to fixtures, I have noticed that nothing is really "straight"

I am looking at this concrete beam, and it's not "straight"

This Thai guy is drilling holes and he can't even hold his tools in a straight manner to drill straight :o

They are putting the air conditioning units and the pipes on the wall doesn't follow a straight line, even with the "plastic cover" on the top of the pipes :D

Didn't they get the memo ? :D

Building a house here is quite challenging :D

Edited by Butterfly

Several years ago, shortly after I moved to BKK, my boss (at the time) had some bookshelves built to fit in a short niche between the glass wall and a building support pillar in one corner of his office. The work was done while he was away on a long business trip.

When he returned, he and I were looking at the shelves and noticed that the top shelf was not parallel to the ceiling. The bottom shelf looked like it was OK with the floor, just the top shelf didn't look right. When I made some comment or other about this, his comment was that this is Thailand -- don't jump to conclusions, it could just as easily be the floor and ceiling were not parallel.

He had to get a square to check which was right. In any case, he had the carpenters come back and make it look right.

Am I the only one who think that Thai builders can't build anything "straight" here ? even in the "expensive" projects ? from walls to fixtures, I have noticed that nothing is really "straight"

This Thai guy is drilling holes and he can't even hold his tools in a straight manner to drill straight :o

They are putting the air conditioning units and the pipes on the wall doesn't follow a straight line, even with the "plastic cover" on the top of the pipes :D

In short "NO" - the reason being that very few people here have any pride in the standard of their work and quite frankly do not care!

You get wat you pay for, and 150 baht a day dont get you much!

I'm having the same problems with my house Butterfly.

"Lack of skilled labour" is what it's called... coupled with the building boom... all leads to the possibility of an Isaan rice farmer and his family working as bricklayers/carpenters/whatever on your house. :D

All I can recommend is... smile... point out discrepancies... smile some more.... point out some more discrepancies... smile some more... etc. :o

Frustrating innit? :D

I'm surprised to read about these examples of poor workmanship. Our house is nearing completion now and the quality of workmanship is nothing short of excellent. A close eye has been kept on every stage of the project, including by myself in recent weeks, and the care taken by all of the trades would put to shame the work of many of their British equivalents. As an example, the tiler periodically goes back over his work and replaces tiles that are not perfectly set or where the colour shade is not sufficiently close to that of surrounding tiles.

Perhaps we have been fortunate in choosing a good builder who, in turn, has employed only good sub-contractors. However, I've had a casual look around the village at other new building work, including a traditional timber house, and found only one example of shoddy work and that was the use of second-quality window frames. When we complain, do we compare Thai workmanship with standards back home or with a own view of perfection?

Here's a pic. of the commencement of the 'granite' floor grinding work:

post-19699-1138008605_thumb.jpg

You get wat you pay for, and 150 baht a day dont get you much!

Not in Bangkok. Still for Burmese (the majority of those workers), 150 baht is still good.

I think it must be something else

I'm having the same problems with my house Butterfly.

"Lack of skilled labour" is what it's called... coupled with the building boom... all leads to the possibility of an Isaan rice farmer and his family working as bricklayers/carpenters/whatever on your house. :D

All I can recommend is... smile... point out discrepancies... smile some more.... point out some more discrepancies... smile some more... etc. :o

Frustrating innit? :D

Frustating is the word. I also need a good foreman, but those usually are missing in action on the fields.

Smile ? I tried to. But sometimes I get more result by playing the "not smiling" farang. They get an idea that I am not happy with the work. When I smile, they smile too and they keep doing what they feel is right and I know is wrong :D

The key is to micromanage them and to be behind them 24/7 or else nothing is done per your requested. A full time job :D

In short "NO" - the reason being that very few people here have any pride in the standard of their work and quite frankly do not care!

I won't be as negative as that. I think they do take pride in their job as long as it doesn't require too much effort or thinking skills. Not care ? more like just happy with the minimum, the "mai pain rai" attitude. If it looks good then it's good enough, even if not really "straight"

Why are those crazy farangs nickpicking on everything ? :D

Several years ago, shortly after I moved to BKK, my boss (at the time) had some bookshelves built to fit in a short niche between the glass wall and a building support pillar in one corner of his office. The work was done while he was away on a long business trip.

When he returned, he and I were looking at the shelves and noticed that the top shelf was not parallel to the ceiling. The bottom shelf looked like it was OK with the floor, just the top shelf didn't look right. When I made some comment or other about this, his comment was that this is Thailand -- don't jump to conclusions, it could just as easily be the floor and ceiling were not parallel.

He had to get a square to check which was right. In any case, he had the carpenters come back and make it look right.

I know already for a fact that the ceilings and floors are not parallel in my house (too late for making changes) and I am expecting this same problem when I build the bookshelf

Welcome to my slanty shanty!

Aircon unit, crooked.

Front awning, crooked.

Storage room wall, crooked.

Storage room door frame, crooked.

Front fence, crooked

Support pilars, crooked and twisted, was fun putting on baseboards

Walk-in closet, crooked, door won't slide.

Back fence, crooked, I had to build a crooked lattice fence on top to make it look straight.

Level I bought here, crooked :o

i've lived in and owned a few houses in the UK and US where straightness was hard to find, but they were mostly more than 50 years old.

you have to check EVERYTHING as it's been built and point out the problems constantly. there is no easy way around that, except maybe hire a project manager to watch over the builders.

Answer? Divide the work into stages, when one stage is completed to your satisfaction the head honcho gets his money. Go out of your way a little bit, water and ice every day, a bit of food too, party when the roof goes on, party when you turn the key. Make them realise that they have a good job, cock it up and bye bye mate, don't call us, we'll call you.

It won't add much to the overall cost, but it will help to ensure you get a decent house built. My mate in Lampang did all that, and more, he had a few problems sure, but at the end of the day he has a good house.

I'm surprised to read about these examples of poor workmanship. Our house is nearing completion now and the quality of workmanship is nothing short of excellent. A close eye has been kept on every stage of the project, including by myself in recent weeks, and the care taken by all of the trades would put to shame the work of many of their British equivalents. As an example, the tiler periodically goes back over his work and replaces tiles that are not perfectly set or where the colour shade is not sufficiently close to that of surrounding tiles.

Perhaps we have been fortunate in choosing a good builder who, in turn, has employed only good sub-contractors. However, I've had a casual look around the village at other new building work, including a traditional timber house, and found only one example of shoddy work and that was the use of second-quality window frames. When we complain, do we compare Thai workmanship with standards back home or with a own view of perfection?

Here's a pic. of the commencement of the 'granite' floor grinding work:

post-19699-1138008605_thumb.jpg

Hey Morden, where are you building ?? you said village, so presume not bangkok then.

By the way, in your pic, did you see the wall to the right is crooked ??

Don't let them drill any supporting beams, Butterfly!

I was happy with the craftsmanship overall, considering the low price, until it came to painting the walls and woodworks, something well above 'normal' standard where I live.

To put it in one sentence: I forgat to specify I didn't want the floor, ceiling and windows painted as well.

Hi Butterfly

I must be lucky all my walls etc seem level but then the builders did have a plumb line (a bit of string with a rusty nail dangling from it! :D

My problem is the plumbing, first of all they never seem to of heard of a "U" bend consequently an amusing aroma in the bathroom!! :D

Despite all the pipework being large diameter the pipe diameter through the water heaters is miniscule so you need to plan ahead should you want a bath! :o S'pose I can get some commercial heaters, just havn't got round to It.

If anyone has any info on larger bore water heaters would appreciate it.

Anyway Chock Dee

TBWG

The U bend for drains is available everywhere and you can also use the flex plastic type fittings for it. Floor drains is usually where they forget to put a trap but they are also cheap and would not take them long to replace. Just make sure you keep some water in them.

Most water heaters are designed for showers and are in the low 3 to 5KV range so can not heat up much water fast enough. You can obtain tank type units from HomePro and such now that would serve your needs.

The gravitational pull and earth's tilt in Thailand is different than in the west by exactly 2.6 nanometers. The angles you see in Thai buildings are correct; they just look slightly off, but they are correct.

:o

Ahhh... that explains it!!!

The gravitational pull and earth's tilt in Thailand is different than in the west by exactly 2.6 nanometers. The angles you see in Thai buildings are correct; they just look slightly off, but they are correct.

:D

Ahhh... that explains it!!!

I thought it was because Toxin had piled up all the money and gold at his end. :o

Sadly right.

If you are having work done you have to watch like and hawk and stop them immediately you

see somthing wrong. Check every measurement and level..............

The make them correct it before they continue.

Otherwise they will just carry on and you are lumbered with it.

On a major contract it is a good idea to have 10-20% with-held for a year, pending faults you find

after you move in.

The U bend for drains is available everywhere and you can also use the flex plastic type fittings for it. Floor drains is usually where they forget to put a trap but they are also cheap and would not take them long to replace. Just make sure you keep some water in them.

Most water heaters are designed for showers and are in the low 3 to 5KV range so can not heat up much water fast enough. You can obtain tank type units from HomePro and such now that would serve your needs.

Thanks lopburi

I appreciate that "U" bends are readily available but was just advising butterfly so that he does not fall into the same trap, good pun huh :D My probem is that it is a major building/re-tiling task to put one in the sunken bath. So I am resigned to using lots of bleach and having the tank regularly emptied!! :o

When you refer to a tank type heater do you mean like the heating elements they have in UK hot water tanks?

Thanks again TBWG

Thanks lopburi

I appreciate that "U" bends are readily available but was just advising butterfly so that he does not fall into the same trap, good pun huh :DMy probem is that it is a major building/re-tiling task to put one in the sunken bath. So I am resigned to using lots of bleach and having the tank regularly emptied!! :o

When you refer to a tank type heater do you mean like the heating elements they have in UK hot water tanks?

Thanks again TBWG

Can't you just leave the pop the cap back down once you're done with the bathtub? That would keep the fumes from coming back up.

Today they forgot to sand the wall. That didn't stop them from painting it :o

Also, is it OK to paint a concrete wall without plastering it first ? :D

W/out sealing it first?

Short answer - no; especially with the domestic paint available in Thailand. :D

You people have no appreciation for being practical !! That crooked wall works just as well as a straight wall. Just as traps on plumbing work so does a straight pipe and you save the money. So what's a little odor? The water puddles on the bathroom floor from not having fall towards the drain are seldom higher than the soles on the sandals beside the door so what's the harm ? Water collected under my bathroom sink so I had them lay concrete blocks on their sides and tile on top of the blocks to build it up to a type of shelf that would provide dry storage. I do appreciate dry toilet paper. LOL! I went in to check the progress and the guy was happily chipping the tile off the floor before laying the blocks. I told the wife to tell him to forget the tile and to just lay the bock on top of them. She told him and he got an amazed look on his face. He took the job for a price so it wasn't because he was dragging the job out. All in all, I'll put up with Thai style. It's not EASY to get used to but I am trying. I think I'll stay!