Media Visa Possible If Working For Large Travel Writing Website?

Hello,

I've been checking out all the requirements for the non imm M visa, and I seem to fit the bill entirely, but the company I work for publishes my work only on a popular Southeast Asia travel website and in their iPad travel magazine. They do not currently have any print publications (and by that I mean paper, not electrons).

I'm American but it's an Australian company. They already pay me a monthly salary and are more than willing to write the letter stating that they want me to be their Thailand correspondent. Up until now I've been going on tourist visa runs. My work mainly involves writing stories related to culture and some current events in Thailand.

Apart from currently not having the right visa, I'm a legitimate travel writer/journalist and my company is legit as well, but does anyone know if I'd be rejected solely because it's "only a website"?

Any other thoughts? Could I conceivably get a non imm B with a letter from my company even though they're not based in Thailand?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

That's incorrect. Things work differently with media visas. As I understand it, you get a work permit after Thai authorities have checked that you are a legitimate journalist; in this case the work permit is granted after you've being cleared as a journalist for a reputable publication, and I'm fairly certain that publication does not have to be based in Thailand (well, I'm positive they don't have to based here, as the New York Times is not based in Thailand but can still sponsor journalists to get media visas here, but I'm fairly certain the publication doesn't need to have an office in Thailand either).

Anyone else?

The following information is from police order 777/2551 clause 2.12 for one year extension but would be the same for a visa.

2.12 In the case of performing duties in the mass media: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must have been confirmed and requested by the Government Public Relations Department or the Department of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

From 305/2551 that lists document required.

2.12 In the case of performing duties in the mass media: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of work permit

4. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay issued by the Government Public Relations Department or the Department of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Since you are working for a foreign based company I think the MFA would be the place to start the process.

Edit: Deleted first line about work permit and added additional info. A visa might not require the work permit but if you plan on staying here long term an extension would be good to get.

Edit: The info you need can be found here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/media-center/25543-Information-for-Foreign-Press.html

From 16 August 2010, all foreign members of media applying for media accreditation to work/reside in Thailand or to renew their visa, work permit and press card, have to submit their applications through the MFA Media Online Service (MMOS) website.

For the general process and procedure, please follow the Guidance for foreign journalists who wish to work in Thailand.

For how to use the MMOS website, please follow the User Manual for the MMOS website.

The MMOS is a system developed by the Foreign Ministry to support the following services to members of media:

1. Online media registration for important meetings, conferences and other events hosted by the Foreign Ministry for both Thai and foreign media based in Thailand who wish to cover such events.

2. Online accreditation service for foreign members of media intending to work or reside in the Kingdom as well as for the annual renewal of the media accreditation to obtain extension for visa, work permit and press card.

3. E-newsletter service for updated news from the Foreign Ministry.

Entering the MMOS website, please go to http://mmos.mfa.go.th

Edited by ubonjoe

Are you currently in Thailand, working? Have you previously worked in Thailand for this company?

You are breaking the law if you are working in Thailand without a work permit. Your employer should obtain all the necessary documentation for you as well as the work permit. They too are in breach of Thai law if they are employing you to work for them while in Thailand. Does not say much for your company if they are willing to break the Law by employing you illegally.