Tiger Disco Fire: Pheu Thais Prompong Calls For Bar Safety Crackdown

webfact

Tiger Disco fire: Pheu Thai's Prompong calls for bar safety crackdown

Phuket Gazette

cr1.jpeg

Government Spokesman Prompong Nopparit (left) appraises the damage to the Tiger Discotheque and its beer bar complex with Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan (center) and Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Chalit Kaewyarat. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

cr2.jpeg

The popular “beer bar” complex on the ground floor, beneath the Tiger Discotheque, was also destroyed in the pre-dawn fire on Friday. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- After inspecting the gutted remains of the Tiger Discotheque over the weekend, Government Spokesman Prompong Nopparit has called for increased safety measures at all 198 registered bars, pubs and other nightlife venues registered in Patong.

“An examination of Tiger Discotheque reveals that the building construction itself was a problem. Its walls were made from a flammable foam material. Other fixtures made of cement-coated steel were no problem,” he said.

“I will research which measures to take to prevent fires in the future. I have already coordinated with Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha to set up security measures. We will work with both provincial and Patong Municipality officers so that there is never a repeat of what happened here,” Mr Prompong said.

“These would likely include structural restrictions, such as a ban on flammable construction items, such as foam, as well as more and better-marked fire exits, alarms, and more fire-extinguishing equipment. The budget [for this] will probably come from the Provincial Office,” he said.

“We will also talk to all entertainment venue owners about ways to improve security; it’s certain they don’t want a situation like this occurring at their venues. The owner of Tiger Discotheque also does not want a situation like this happening to him [again], as it has definitely damaged his business, which will take a long time to recover,” he added.

Mr Prompong said there were reportedly about 800 people in the disco when the fire broke out, the vast majority managing to escape unharmed.

He dismissed reports about the bar remaining open past the 2am closing time as hearsay.

“As far as I know, the venue had been closed since 2am, but it was raining hard so people were stuck inside. Also I have information that there are no bars in the area staying open past [the designated] closing time. I would not accuse them without any proof,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...down-16708.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-20

“These would likely include structural restrictions, such as a ban on flammable construction items, such as foam, as well as more and better-marked fire exits, alarms, and more fire-extinguishing equipment. The budget [for this] will probably come from the Provincial Office,” he said.

The Provincial Office is going to pay for all that? Which businesses qualify? :unsure:

Is anyone going to be held responsible and accountable? At this point it doesn't appear to a priority.

We could start with the pub owner for keeping the deemed illegal foam after the law was passed last year. The building inspector for letting it happen. The land owners themselves for not making sure tenants adhered to pertinent safety laws. The "electrician" for having faulty wiring on the new light tower that was hastily removed after the fire was put out. I'm sure I'm missing some more that could and should be held accountable, but I can see this issue being pushed under the rug by some big thick envelopes to make things go away. I sure hope insurance does not pay out to the Tiger group for knowingly staying open past trading hours ( Of course they do this everyday, regardless of rain as everyone knows).

Is anyone going to be held responsible and accountable? At this point it doesn't appear to a priority.

We could start with the pub owner for keeping the deemed illegal foam after the law was passed last year. The building inspector for letting it happen. The land owners themselves for not making sure tenants adhered to pertinent safety laws. The "electrician" for having faulty wiring on the new light tower that was hastily removed after the fire was put out. I'm sure I'm missing some more that could and should be held accountable, but I can see this issue being pushed under the rug by some big thick envelopes to make things go away. I sure hope insurance does not pay out to the Tiger group for knowingly staying open past trading hours ( Of course they do this everyday, regardless of rain as everyone knows).

Staying open late will not make any difference to the property insurance. Independent loss adjusters will be in a better position to find the truth behind the fire but their work is not for the public domain.

Don't know about the liability insurance as many factors may come into play.

The biggest lesson is the same as for each and every major fire where there is loss of life - improve safety standards and actually enforce them!

Staying open is not really the point - this could easily have happened at any time of the day or night, and wringing our hands saying "if the bar had closed and ejected the people at 2am, then no-one would have died" although true, is actually a side issue because the point is the safety issues that endangered lives in the first place.

I think the statement by the spokesperson is fairly standard stuff up to the point where he makes the comment that the bar had closed etc - he should not have stated that at all, when it is patently wrong, but as I said, its not the most pertinent point, especially where he is talking about improving safety standards - safety is an issue 24 hours a day, not just after "official" (read : arbitrary) closing time..

Improve and enforce the safety rules we already have - that would be a step in the right direction.

The fact the owners can dictate who is allowed in for inspection after this tragedy is diabolical. Apparently the new lights have been removed so any proper inspection on those now cannot be undertaken. The electricity guy who stated the transformers were still working & so put paid to the lightning strike story was not allowed inside & no doubt has been taken off Tiger's Xmas card list. Smells like a serious cover up going on because there is no chance of an unbiased, independent assessment of what went wrong. Even if the insurance company does not pay out, reconstruction funds will quickly be recouped once open again.

Will the new Tiger complex be forced to remove all the flammable materials as it looks like it was built in the same style as does the complex on the road behind Jungceylon & possibly many other entertainment venues have been using the same, not only in Patong.

Staying open late will not make any difference to the property insurance. Independent loss adjusters will be in a better position to find the truth behind the fire but their work is not for the public domain.

Don't know about the liability insurance as many factors may come into play.

I agree about the property insurance, but liability probably has some caveats, just as travel insurance does and I would think one of them would be operating within the law etc.

Back to accountability and responsibility, anyone care to guess who, if anyone, will be held responsible besides some minor violation.

The fact the owners can dictate who is allowed in for inspection after this tragedy is diabolical. Apparently the new lights have been removed so any proper inspection on those now cannot be undertaken. The electricity guy who stated the transformers were still working & so put paid to the lightning strike story was not allowed inside & no doubt has been taken off Tiger's Xmas card list. Smells like a serious cover up going on because there is no chance of an unbiased, independent assessment of what went wrong. Even if the insurance company does not pay out, reconstruction funds will quickly be recouped once open again.

Will the new Tiger complex be forced to remove all the flammable materials as it looks like it was built in the same style as does the complex on the road behind Jungceylon & possibly many other entertainment venues have been using the same, not only in Patong.

Once the fire was extinguished, the nightclub became a crime scene. Why didn't the police seal it off and arrest anyone entering and tampering with evidence or removing evidence???? It's a disgrace. It's clear to all who's really running this island.

You now have a useless and contaminated crime scene that can't be used in any criminal case. How convenient for everyone.

Once again, no one held accountable/responsible, and how many dead and injured?

No enforcement, or selective enforcement, equals Phuket being lawless.

Once the fire was extinguished, the nightclub became a crime scene. Why didn't the police seal it off and arrest anyone entering and tampering with evidence or removing evidence???? It's a disgrace. It's clear to all who's really running this island.

You now have a useless and contaminated crime scene that can't be used in any criminal case. How convenient for everyone.

Why do you think that the place was not sealed off ? I just talked with one of the bar owners and he has not been allowed back into his bar to salvage stock.

Why do you think that the place was not sealed off ? I just talked with one of the bar owners and he has not been allowed back into his bar to salvage stock.

There's been widespread reports from multiple sources ( including those that witnessed this) that the lighting rig was taken away ASAP after the fire was put out. I've also seen photos of this.

Was he a farang bar owner???

PHUKET: -- After inspecting the gutted remains of the Tiger Discotheque over the weekend, Government Spokesman Prompong Nopparit has called for increased safety measures at all 198 registered bars, pubs and other nightlife venues registered in Patong.

“An examination of Tiger Discotheque reveals that the building construction itself was a problem. Its walls were made from a flammable foam material. Other fixtures made of cement-coated steel were no problem,” he said.

“I will research which measures to take to prevent fires in the future. I have already coordinated with Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha to set up security measures. We will work with both provincial and Patong Municipality officers so that there is never a repeat of what happened here,” Mr Prompong said.

“We will also talk to all entertainment venue owners about ways to improve security; it’s certain they don’t want a situation like this occurring at their venues. The owner of Tiger Discotheque also does not want a situation like this happening to him [again], as it has definitely damaged his business, which will take a long time to recover,” he added.

Mr Prompong said there were reportedly about 800 people in the disco when the fire broke out, the vast majority managing to escape unharmed.

He dismissed reports about the bar remaining open past the 2am closing time as hearsay.

“As far as I know, the venue had been closed since 2am, but it was raining hard so people were stuck inside. Also I have information that there are no bars in the area staying open past [the designated] closing time. I would not accuse them without any proof,” he said.

So, if there were 800 people inside, and the average person had two drinks, the disco generated about 400,000 baht, in just those few hours. They cannot afford safety measures? They cannot afford to pay compensation to each and every victim? He will talk to all entertainment venues about ways to improve safety. Could this clown possibly be any wimpier? How about dictating policy? How about creating, and enforcing laws. A little late for talk, right? And the least credible thing this clown had to say is that it is only hearsay that the bars are staying open past 2am. Well, not sure the fire occuring at 3:30am has much to do with hearsay. This wimp could not fight his way out of a paper bag, and he is put in a position of great responsibility. He should be cleaning lounge chairs on the beach. Maybe he could handle that?

Was he a farang bar owner???

Yes, and I see where you are going with this. Point taken.

There's been widespread reports from multiple sources ( including those that witnessed this) that the lighting rig was taken away ASAP after the fire was put out. I've also seen photos of this.

Yes, I read that report too. It never made any sense to me that a lighting rig could be removed after a major fire. Surely it would have been burned up ??

The Management of safe entertainment venues is not about crack downs. After every crack down in Pattaya the Police are believed to exclude their favorite Bar keepers from penalty and exposure. Thai law would seem to be adequate if the Police Commissioners could provide the incentive to their police officers to function in accordance with Thai Law. Unfortunately it is the most scurrilous bar owners that seem to have police protection.