Atv Panther Big Bear 150Cc / 250Cc - Any Thoughts?

jambco984

These two ATV's can be found at atv.co.th

At 66,000 baht (150cc) and 96,000 baht (250cc)

Has anyone owned one of these or tested one or even just looked at one. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to know.

Yes they are Chinese, yes they are loosely based knock offs of the Yamaha Big Bear 400cc but will they give me hours of enjoyment or one ride and be broken.

I have a dealer in my province who can get them and has mechanics who can fix them and can get hold of parts if there is a booboo. I know Thais who ride these and seem to have no problems and when I have asked they say all is ok so maybe all the hype about them being crap is unfounded (I HOPE).

Mostly I will be using it on the road (yes kind of illegal if you don't know the cops) and on gravel dirt tracks, no lagoons or real messy fun, unless people out there think that these can take some of the real action to be had in Thailand.

I am more interested in the 250cc but if the 150cc is a good contender and doesn't lag too much in power then I will save myself 30,000 baht.

If it is no good according to the thaivisa members who input on this then what is a suitable substitute and not costing the earth is a big plus as it is only for a bit of fun I am not a serious ATV head........ YET ;-)

Take care and looking forward to your help.

jambco984

I not have any experience with the ATV's from them, but I bought an off-road motorcycle from a closely related company (maybe same company different department). And I have nothing to complain about there service – all I have to say that I basically only buy parts from them if I need them and ask them for advice if I not understand something...

An alternative source for good ATV's is Gemcar http://www.gemcar.co...oducts/atv.html, but my experience is that they're also a good amount more expensive.

The only official 'wellknown' ATVs available and officially distributed in Thailand are to my knowledge Polaris. Which are distributed by H20 Co., Ltd, Tel. 02-743 5151 ask for Khun Pinthanon (or Charles) email [email protected] (without the real need to say it, I guess you understand Polaris ATVs are not the cheapest)

Import your own ATV, ATV are in Thailand classified as farm equipment (not motorcycles), and if you have a family member who has a farm (and registered as so) you can import a ATV relatively cheap.

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

I not have any experience with the ATV's from them, but I bought an off-road motorcycle from a closely related company (maybe same company different department). And I have nothing to complain about there service – all I have to say that I basically only buy parts from them if I need them and ask them for advice if I not understand something...

An alternative source for good ATV's is Gemcar http://www.gemcar.co...oducts/atv.html, but my experience is that they're also a good amount more expensive.

The only official 'wellknown' ATVs available and officially distributed in Thailand are to my knowledge Polaris. Which are distributed by H20 Co., Ltd, Tel. 02-743 5151 ask for Khun Pinthanon (or Charles) email [email protected] (without the real need to say it, I guess you understand Polaris ATVs are not the cheapest)

Import your own ATV, ATV are in Thailand classified as farm equipment (not motorcycles), and if you have a family member who has a farm (and registered as so) you can import a ATV relatively cheap.

Thanks for being the first RichardBKK mucho appreciated.

Like I said I don't want to be spending a small fortune on something that is a novelty item and feel that these two I mention are quite solid. Just need backing up or shooting down. Maybe in the future if I like getting down and dirty then I would consider spending a bit more.

Thanks

I have had one of there bikes ,well 2 actually first one broke after 1 day so they gave me another and that 1 started leaking fuel from fuel tap same day,took it back and they wanted to take fuel tap of other returned bike and glue it onto my bike not the professional fix I was looking for.

These bikes are simple to fix but the whole point of buying something new is for reliability so if your stuck in the middle of no where you could have real problem.

I think you will only ever buy 1 Chinese bike then neither again once you have seen what they are like

• Like 1

I have had one of there bikes ,well 2 actually first one broke after 1 day so they gave me another and that 1 started leaking fuel from fuel tap same day,took it back and they wanted to take fuel tap of other returned bike and glue it onto my bike not the professional fix I was looking for.

These bikes are simple to fix but the whole point of buying something new is for reliability so if your stuck in the middle of no where you could have real problem.

I think you will only ever buy 1 Chinese bike then neither again once you have seen what they are like

Bit busy at the mo will say more later but which one did you have of theres?? Just interested to see, yeah reliability is the main thing your right, if they are pants then it will soon become an irritation.

Was it a bike or a quad you had??

Thanks

jambco984

• Like 1

I had a pitster pro called l 140 cc bike managed to get full refund after 3 days of phone calls to head office in Bangkok the shop near me where I bought it does not seem to sell them any more what does that tell you.

Sounds like you had a nightmare, very lucky to get your money back.

I hope to check the second hand market out but its difficult not knowing where to look. I have tried bahtsold.com but basically clueless.

Thanks.

http://www.thaiatvsales.com/atv.html

Security Guard in our Village has one of these, 42,000 baht used many times in 12 hours 7x week for the past 2 years..

Old Thai man in the next Village has one and can been seen all over the place, seen him 7km away in a Village the other day, his cost more somewhere around 66,000 I think he said, is a 150cc and had it 2+ years.

• Like 1

http://www.thaiatvsales.com/atv.html

Security Guard in our Village has one of these, 42,000 baht used many times in 12 hours 7x week for the past 2 years..

Old Thai man in the next Village has one and can been seen all over the place, seen him 7km away in a Village the other day, his cost more somewhere around 66,000 I think he said, is a 150cc and had it 2+ years.

Good to know thanks a lot, restores a little faith in the cheaper end of the market so thats at least something.

I found thaiatvsales.com last night and I am impressed with the range, my local dealer has offered to buy the one I want and pay them a little extra, saves using the delivery method of every 100km its 1,500 baht, I live 400km from Bangkok, I'd rather give the money to someone else.

Still going to put some commitment time aside for more thinking to see if there are any other options to be had.

The best advice is to listen to the advice of the guy who has bought and ridden one because he`ll have first hand knowledge of the pros and cons.

Your right its just there are so many out there its hard to know but knowledge is best ;-)

I did some research on ATV's about a year ago. Not a lot of good quality ATV's around Thailand. Some of the Chinese ATV's are sturdy little machines for sure. The cheap end of the market is all chain drive. I foresaw problems with not only the chain and sprockets but accelerated wear on the tyres and rear suspension bushes. For our needs a 500cc engine and strong chassis was needed.

In the end we decided the extra money for a new tractor was worth it.

• Like 1

I rented one of these on Koh Samit

http://www.amornatv....TV M STORM.html

post-57474-0-31330000-1345748251_thumb.j

it obviously has a hard life and the tires had seen better days but still got to the bottom of the island on some really bad tracks 2 up OK and was a lot of fun

If you go to Samit to try one I rented from the place behind Silver sands beach resort and think i paid around 600 baht for the afternoon

cheers

• Like 1

I own a Chinese 250 jainshe puma and a 400 ho Polaris. My 250 set me back 135,000. And has had some small bugs but easily sorted. Polaris set me back 295,000. Very nice bike. You will get what you pay for. For on road use a 150cc will be ok. Off Road you will want a 250cc minimum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I did some research on ATV's about a year ago. Not a lot of good quality ATV's around Thailand. Some of the Chinese ATV's are sturdy little machines for sure. The cheap end of the market is all chain drive. I foresaw problems with not only the chain and sprockets but accelerated wear on the tyres and rear suspension bushes. For our needs a 500cc engine and strong chassis was needed.

In the end we decided the extra money for a new tractor was worth it.

Yeah I am starting to think a little extra money will go a long way to ensuring I don't buy a scrap heap of metal.

I rented one of these on Koh Samit

http://www.amornatv....TV M STORM.html

post-57474-0-31330000-1345748251_thumb.j

it obviously has a hard life and the tires had seen better days but still got to the bottom of the island on some really bad tracks 2 up OK and was a lot of fun

If you go to Samit to try one I rented from the place behind Silver sands beach resort and think i paid around 600 baht for the afternoon

cheers

Unfortunately no one rents where I live so I can't get a real feel for what I want, I am at the mercy of the TV members who comment. ;-)

I own a Chinese 250 jainshe puma and a 400 ho Polaris. My 250 set me back 135,000. And has had some small bugs but easily sorted. Polaris set me back 295,000. Very nice bike. You will get what you pay for. For on road use a 150cc will be ok. Off Road you will want a 250cc minimum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have started to realise that anything less than a 250cc is not going to make me too happy. I need power and strength so it will now be a minimum requirement to spend 100,000 baht that will include the 250cc Big Bear at 96,000 baht. I wont spend anymore than 130,000 though or I will find myself in a never ending search for greatness and spending 400,000 baht haha.

Thank you all for your input.

Please keep the comments coming.

jambco984