Keeway 200Cc Superlight Cruiser . Chinese Import

scorpio

can anyone give me any info on these bikes, they are selling for around 68,000 new. ngreat looking bikes and just what i want though i want to know the good points and bad points about them. i will be planning long journeys like bangkok to samui, koh chang etc so want to know if these bikes are reliable.

thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to reviews I have read, the Keeway's/M-Bikes seem to be of significantly better quality than China's last attempt at bikes, the Platinum's and JRD's. They have a fairly good dealer distribution in Thailand.

imagerphp.jpg

imager.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

I quite like the look of these bikes myself, and the price is certainly right... but they aren't getting very good reviews on the Thai forums. Here's a sample:

[Original is here, in the third post. Actually, that isn't the original; it was copied from the pantip.com forum, but I can't find it there. The translation is mine.]

Keeway Superlight 200 Review

Pros:

1. Looks - the big, fat tires look great, and overall it's a really nice looking bike.

2. Quiet - but then, it's only 200cc.

3. Good ground clearance - along with the big tires, rough ground is no problem for this machine.

4. It's light - only 120-130kg, for responsive turning and easy pushing.

5. Long warranty - 30,000km. Pretty good for this price, but it's only for the engine, nothing else.

Cons:

1. Footpegs too high - and not in a position where you can stretch your legs out. The driving position is tiring, and the positioning of the gearshift makes shifting difficult. If you're going on a long trip, expect cramps.

2. Confusing turn switch positioning - instead of being on one side, the left signal switch is on the left, and the right switch is on the right, and you have to hit the button twice to turn the signal off. No idea why they made it like this.

3. All kinds of switches and buttons on the handlebars, who knows what they're all for - there must be at least six. I forgot to ask what they do when I picked up the bike, but isn't a simple high/low beam switch enough? The wiring for this bike must be a nightmare.

4. It's slow - somewhere between "very slow" and "extremely slow". If you don't really twist it, you'll hardly realize you're moving. It isn't too bad if you just like piddling along, and looking at it positively, it's a smooth, easy ride. But it'll take all day just to pass granny on her scooter. Is this really a 200cc? I've never driven a bigger bike before, but it really isn't much different from my old Suzuki Beat 125. Actually, I think the Suzuki was a little faster.

5. The unique design - it does look good, but it's probably hard to get parts from anywhere but the service center.

6. Durability - the bike's only seen rain a couple times, but there's already rust on exhaust pipe. Who knows how the rest of it'll hold up.

If a Thai guy thinks the riding position is cramped, I doubt the average-size westerner will fit very well on it. And if you're going to do any highway riding, you'll probably be better off with a scooter even. But still, it does look nice!

keeway_superlight_200_1.jpg

keeway_superlight_200_3.jpg

If your planning on geeting a bike to do long trips on I think you would be better off with at least a tried & true bike the Phantom or Boss has to be a much better & comfortaable ride & parts for them are easily accessable.

I looked at the key way line & it looked like a ploished up JRD without the rediculous imbellishments. With a name Like KEY WAY (THE WAY OF SHIT) I wouldn't personally be interested at 30,000 baht. It most likely will have a zero resale value like the JRD & Platinum. If you get it keep an Eye in the rearview mirror Chinese rides have a reputation of external parts mysteriously falling off as you drive them. Better to lose 10-20,000 baht on a reliable namebrand bike that you can sell quick than to risk breaking down in bum <snip> & finding out they have to order a part from china instead of being made in Rayong. Unless this is just a bike you would pitch when it gives you problems get a real proven ride . Saving 20,-30,000 is well worth not having traveling headaches.Especially in engines. China has a no name no game status in any country other than China

Good luck any way you go.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity.

Well, the mention of the word "Chinese" will inevitably be greeted by sneers. I wouldn't pay too much attn to those. The quality of Chinese bikes has greatly improved and the prices are great. We have a number of members who own Chinese bikes, notably Lifan, and are happy. Any bike can have a problem and problems w/ Japanese bikes are related constantly on this forum. What about the Phantom cam tensioner problem? I've seen old Platinums still running around despite its teething problems.

Chinese do best when they're copying from good sources, like the Lifan 250B based on the Virago. Keeway, now, seems to have a lot of input from European designers:

Research & Development

001th.jpg

"Integrating resources from all around the globe" has been the motto of KEEWAY'S business development. Appreciating the value of superior European product design, KEEWAY insists that all models are designed by professional and experienced firms in Italy and Germany.

The most up-to-date design concepts are ensured to be demonstrative in KEEWAY models. To further consolidate the design expertise, KEEWAY established its R&D center in Italy, where creative and skilled designers from some of the best motorcycle manufacturers or design firms are hired to contribute.

Keeway and Lifan are competing in the international market, and Lifan at least gets good reviews in the international forums.

The Superlight looks great but as noted is underpowered. But so is a Phantom--and besides, Phantoms are no longer manufactured. I would think the comfort problems noted in the review above could be corrected w/ some slight mods. The lower price means you have a bit extra for tweaking. Me, I don't need a powerful bike for hassling w/ Pattaya traffic! You're lucky to get out of 2nd gear.

Keeway would seem to be a viable choice, but I'd prefer the Lifan 250B. Manufactured in Rayong, good price, good rep here on the forum, great looking, 2-year warranty etc. Friend of mine drives one daily, now 6000 km on it w/ no problems, loves it.

keeway_superlight_200_3.jpg

That's the one I saw in Mityon months ago. From a distance it looked good. Once I got up close I saw the engine and though to myself it would have looked great in 1969 when it was a new design!

But what the heck, it may go pretty good anyway!

i like this bake because of its look, matt black finish and big tyres etc, im not into speed, more reliability for trips from patts to koh chang, hau hinn etc...

anyone know a dealer in pattaya ? i suppose a test drive would also be out of the question ?

cheers

i like this bake because of its look, matt black finish and big tyres etc, im not into speed, more reliability for trips from patts to koh chang, hau hinn etc...

anyone know a dealer in pattaya ? i suppose a test drive would also be out of the question ?

cheers

Dealers:

http://www.keeway-thailand.com/eng/east/

BSJ mentioned Mityon. Might check at the Mityon at corner of South Pattaya Rd/Third Rd.

wow, what model of bike?

It is a shitty Chinese scooter man.

And, i have heard these kind of things happening frequently to Chinese bikes after a couple of years of use.

If my life is depending on a machine, it must be strong and reliable man.

I've just got rid of my 4 year old, 200cc Chinese machine. What a relief to see it go, I can tell you! Electrics are rubish and burn out, all the rubber - anything, anywhere, will rot within months. Chrome pits and rusts within weeks. Parts are hard to locate and breakdowns frequent. Need I say more?

wow, what model of bike?

And, i have heard these kind of things happening frequently to Chinese bikes after a couple of years of use.

I am pretty sure the brand name wasn't "Shitty Chinese". If you don't what it was, how can you even say it was Chinese. How do you now it wasn't from Taiwan, or Malaysia. I was looking for the model name because some brands have a better rep than others.

wow, what model of bike?

I am pretty sure the brand name wasn't "Shitty Chinese". If you don't what it was, how can you even say it was Chinese. How do you now it wasn't from Taiwan, or Malaysia. I was looking for the model name because some brands have a better rep than others.

Quote from their web site: http://www.keewaymotor.com/index.html

"In Asia, the regional headquarter was set up in Shanghai, China, covering a subsidiary company in Vietnam and another 6 important countries in central and southeastern Asia ."

All Keeway bikes sold in Thailand are made in China. Fact!

I would't have another if it was given to me!

wow, what model of bike?

Not likely no,but possible.

Brand-Names-20.jpg

wow, what model of bike?

He cannot give the brand name of the scooter, also he cannot show you other pictures of the scooter, as he just found it on the internet. I have seen many of this pictures... most are scooters used in Europe, they are stock 50cc and get modified to go as big as 180cc... and people complain that swingarm snaps... wonder why...

I also have my doubt that the picture is actually from a Chinese made scooter, most Chinese scooters are based on the Honda GY9 design. What means that the engine is mounted on the rear swingarm.

wow, what model of bike?

Quote from their web site: http://www.keewaymotor.com/index.html

"In Asia, the regional headquarter was set up in Shanghai, China, covering a subsidiary company in Vietnam and another 6 important countries in central and southeastern Asia ."

All Keeway bikes sold in Thailand are made in China. Fact!

I would't have another if it was given to me!

But then you 4-year old 200cc was not a Keeway, as Keeway is not on the market so long with a 200cc motorcycle. If I remember correctly you had a Gusto Rumba 200cc, which was distributed in Thailand by the same distributor as JRD. I can tell you for sure that the Gusto Rumba 200cc is not manufactured by Keeway, I think it was Jonway Motor who made the Gusta Rumba

post-12170-0-70464800-1345876029_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

But then you 4-year old 200cc was not a Keeway, as Keeway is not on the market so long with a 200cc motorcycle

Correct, it wasn't...and I'm not saying what it was in case the guy who's just bought it see's my post :-)

Edited by agogohome

But then you 4-year old 200cc was not a Keeway, as Keeway is not on the market so long with a 200cc motorcycle

Correct, it wasn't...and I'm not saying what it was in case the guy who's just bought it see's my post :-)

But you inferred it.

"All Keeway bikes sold in Thailand are made in China. Fact!

I would't have another if it was given to me! "

But you inferred it.

"All Keeway bikes sold in Thailand are made in China. Fact!

I would't have another if it was given to me! "

Sure the Keeway Superlight 200, sold in Thailand, is likely manufactured in China. If you have something against Chinese manufactured goods you probably live a boring live..

To the OP.

They are cheap for a reason.

They have cheap fittings and a cheap finish.

The factory assembly is usually a bit dodgy.

The mechanics however seem fairly sound. The tech is old so most mechanics will have no trouble fixing it should the need arise.

If you get one get a mechanic to strip it down and repack or replace bearings, waterproof electrical connections and reassemble with loctite on all the fiddlybits.

With the new price being 68,000 THB, I would say take also a look at the 250cc Keeway Cruiser 250. As alternative you can also checkout the Lifan LF250-B (which is 100% manufactured in Thailand), currently both the Keeway and Lifan V-twin cruiser are just under 80,000 THB.

Keeway has 3-year warranty and the Lifan has 2-year warranty...

So basically you're just trolling. May His Modship soon kick you out of the thread.

I have see Keeways in Taiwan for many years and always assumed that they were a local brand. Over the past four years, I have bought two sets of "Chinese" scooters for visitors who come over without drivers licenses (here the 50cc scooters don't need a license). The first two were a mainland Chinese brand and complete junk. The second two were Keeway. They are much better made machines.

I saw a Keeway today in Chiang Mai and of it looked handsome in that matt black. It is however, quite small - not simply shorter but not so long as my Lifan 250. Still, if it fits the rider, it might be more handy for the twisties and in town.

I have see Keeways in Taiwan for many years and always assumed that they were a local brand. Over the past four years, I have bought two sets of "Chinese" scooters for visitors who come over without drivers licenses (here the 50cc scooters don't need a license). The first two were a mainland Chinese brand and complete junk. The second two were Keeway. They are much better made machines.

Keeway are made in mainland China PDR but along with Lifan don' have the junk bike rep that many other Chinese brands have. Taiwanese manufactured machines such as Sym and Kymco are way ahead in terms of build quality but, of course, that is reflected in their higher prices. Edited by BirdsandBooze

Keeway are made in mainland China PDR but along with Lifan don' have the junk bike rep that many other Chinese brands have. Taiwanese manufactured machines such as Sym and Kymco are way ahead in terms of build quality but, of course, that is reflected in their higher prices.

The two popular Lifan models currently available in Thailand, LF200GY-5a and the LF250-B, are 100% manufactured in Thailand.

Keeway are made in mainland China PDR but along with Lifan don' have the junk bike rep that many other Chinese brands have. Taiwanese manufactured machines such as Sym and Kymco are way ahead in terms of build quality but, of course, that is reflected in their higher prices.

The two popular Lifan models currently available in Thailand, LF200GY-5a and the LF250-B, are 100% manufactured in Thailand.

so what?

what is the difference of manufacturing the same shitty Chinese bike parts in China or Thailand or elsewhere?

Shit is shit everywhere Richard.:)