Divorce & Changing Names

TheGoose

My girlfriend is currently married but is going to court on 5 September to get divorced. The divorce shouldn't be a problem & our intention immediately afterwards was to get her documents changed back to her own family name. I've just spoken to her this morning & she said her lawyer has suggested she needs to wait one month to change her name in case anyone has a problem with the divorce. I don't understand this at all so has anyone else heard of this or anything similar ? I would have thought if anyone did have a problem with the divorce they would have to let it be known prior to 5 September.

If this is her first court appearance don't get your hopes up too high. The parties may reach an arbitration agreement during her appearance and that will speed things up.

If not, there's generally a few court hearings before a decision is made. She only needs to appear the one time, Her lawyers do the rest. Then it depends on her husband appealing. He has a period of time to do that. It could be the 30 days her lawyer mentioned. That appeal process, with one appealing then the other appealing can take many months and even years.

Once the case has run its course the court then issues a verdict. In my experience it may take a month or more for that verdict to be ready for collection from the court by her lawyer.

Once she has the verdict she takes it to the Umphur where its used as authority for divorce. She can change her name at the same time.

If you intend to get married you then need to look at the rules for a divorced woman to remarry. There is a waiting time period (300 days?) which can be shortened by a doctors certificate.

Edited by Farma

Thanks for the replies.

I see the name change & divorce as being two separate things, ie one is not dependant on the other, although it is normal to change your family name as a result of marriage or divorce. The reason for the court appearance is to be granted a divorce not a change in family name. She could change her name & documents at any time independently of her court appearance could she not ?

I'd check with the lawyer just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure but would imagine a name change in the middle of divorce precedings could have a delaying affect as the documents already submitted will be in her married name.

When she produces the court verdict at the umphur I know the umphur checks the name listed on the court verdict against the current ID registered name. Any discrepancy and they require the ID card to be updated prior to them processing the divorce.