Thai Democrats Lay Out Governments Six Key 'Failings'

webfact

YEA! its not like they shut down an airport or anything.... err wait, nevermind.

Here we go again........

The job of the Opposition is to question the policies of the Government if they feel they are not in the country's best interests.

What's your objection to a democratically elected Government justifying it's policies?

PM pleased with government’s 1-year performance

I bet she is, so would I too if I was given 25 billion baht as my personal budget to spend as I like with no checks and balances and all she has to do for this money is not turn up for work.

Democrat MP for Krabi Pichet Panvichartkul questioned the transparency of the budget bill as he said details of allocations worth 25 billion baht to the PM's Office were missing.

Yesterday was the second day of the second reading of the 2013 Budget Bill. The MPs considered the budget for the PM's Office set at Bt25 billion.

MP Boonyod Sooktinthai proposed that the PM's Office budget be cut, saying the spending was ineffective.

Boonyod compared the travel costs racked up by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra when attending World Economic Forum in Davos to her predecessor Abhisit Vejjajiva. Yingluck spent Bt13 million on chartered flights while travelling to Switzerland and then to New Delhi in January. Meanwhile, Abhisit spent Bt4 million travelling on commercial flights to Switzerland, and it would have cost only about Bt5 million if his group had continued to India, the MP said.

Reacting to the criticism of Yingluck by the Democrats, Kittiratt said Yingluck was doing a good job in promoting the country, including when she shopped during trips abroad as it created a good impression on foreigners.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Opposition-demands-details-of-spending-30188523.html

Edited by waza

[...] Kittiratt said Yingluck was doing a good job [...]

http://www.nationmul...g-30188523.html

Another white lie.

"Kittiratt said Yingluck was doing a good job in promoting the country, including when she shopped during trips abroad"

Surely Miss Thailand could do the same, if not a better job of promoting Thailand.

I hope I'm not insulting the holder of the title if I say "looks but no idea of policy"

All excellent and valid pionts that will never be answered under the Thaksin dictatorship.

A "dictatorship" that has won every election this century.ohmy.png

An elected dictatorship is still a dictatorship. Possibly the need for further elections will become unnecessary

All excellent and valid pionts that will never be answered under the Thaksin dictatorship.

An elected dictatorship is still a dictatorship. Possibly the need for further elections will become unnecessary

What on earth could cause you to put that up ?...... the electorate has voiced its opinion on several occasions .. often under severe pressure -- or oppression. The only non-elected Governments have been repeatedly rejected.

What on earth could cause you to put that up ?...... the electorate has voiced its opinion on several occasions .. often under severe pressure -- or oppression. The only non-elected Governments have been repeatedly rejected.

I won't admit to an understanding.

Thai Democracy seems unique. As you point out, they seem to have many attempts to get the same thing, but end up losing it.

Is it possible that people take advantage of the elections? In which case the democratic process goes backwards.

All the time Governments and criminal activity seem to be linked, I don't see an end to this cycle.

Is Thailand likely to achieve the perception of not being corrupt?

Once it does, I believe a true democratic process will emerge with Governments serving their terms. Until then, there will always be the 'line-drawing' when things go too far.

Then we're back to square one.

As always - IMHO

These clowns, whatever shirt they may wear, would get a lot more done if they would spend more time taking care of business and less time on critiquing the other's faults.

The problem is they are taking care of their own business, not the business of running the country

North Korea has elections every 5 years!

Hi kireB

With such a rubbish responce it is difficult to understand just why you bother. I have children just into high school who are able to differentiate between "elections" in "The Democratic People's Republic of Korea" and elections in the majority of the rest of the world. Pretty sad!

The name the North Koreans choose for their own country tends to give it up for most people --- but apparently not for you KireB?

I won't admit to an understanding.

Thai Democracy seems unique. As you point out, they seem to have many attempts to get the same thing, but end up losing it.

Is it possible that people take advantage of the elections? In which case the democratic process goes backwards.

All the time Governments and criminal activity seem to be linked, I don't see an end to this cycle.

Is Thailand likely to achieve the perception of not being corrupt?

Once it does, I believe a true democratic process will emerge with Governments serving their terms. Until then, there will always be the 'line-drawing' when things go too far.

Then we're back to square one.

As always - IMHO

Hi Noistar

"I won't admit to an understanding." Probably the most correct and honest statement in this thread ---- May I say ...... +1

Sadly (or not) the Democrats in Thailand have not won an election in living memory. Many people seem more to vote against them rather than for the opposition. Obviously the current Government does have huge support .... but it is boosted by an underlying longstanding mistrust of the Dems.

In addition a large part of the population shall never forgive or forget the September 2006 Coup which took place just weeks before scheduled National elections ---- strange ... no?? .... they believe their individual choice was hijacked ........ and shall continue to vote that belief for some time.

Had - immediately after the Coup -- The Dems have condemned what was obviously an illegal and totally undemocratic act ---- then the outcome for them may well have been much different.