Cannot Use True Adsl With Mac?

Krit

I'm moving to a new apartment and asked the landlord to get me an ADS line. It's provided by True and includes a rental modem. I had to fill in some details for the subscription but when it came up that I have a Macintosh the landlord said that apparently this DSL cannot be used with a Macintosh. :o

Well the True order form certainly had lots of text but about the only words I could understand were "Macintosh", "Linux" and "Windows 2003". Apparently it said that you cannot use the modem with these operating systems.

Now what is this all about? I don't understand why I couldn't use my Powerbook if they just bring me some sort of, well, decent broadband box with a RJ-45 Ethernet LAN plug. (I don't want a USB modem of course.)

Actually I have a Zyxel wireless hub of my own so I'm not going to connect my Mac directly to the net but would connect my hub to the modem instead and then use the AirPort. Now, the hub certailnly doesn't have Windows XP either, so we called True's customer service and found someone speaking English. He told me that the system should work if I have a WLAN hub but it doesn't work with Macintosh... for some reason.

Perhaps someone here can tell me what this non-Mac fuss is all about? It's not like I'm going to use AppleTalk here, right? What is the modem like?

I don't have True, but I think you'll find that they supply a USB modem. I suspect that it doesn't come with Mac or Linux drivers.

If you have an ADSL router you ought to have no problems connecing your Mac or even your Vax11-750 :o

I am using PCL ADSL modem/router I bought from Apple Store here in Bangkok + SURECOM Wireless LAN Router (3,000 Baht saving from AirPort) for my Apple PowerBook G4 and have no problem using TRUE ADSL service. I was also told when I signed up for TRUE almost two years ago that they only have USB modems. It was just a matter of going to an apple store and asking what modem they have that I can use for TRUE.

TRUE works fine with a Mac do not worry. I know this for a fact.

Why do they say it does not? My theory is that because TRUE are regularlry called out to homes due to bad connections/line drops and a multitude of other problems, and their 'technicians' are not very well trained, there is no way they are going to try and problem solve a Mac. They just do not know what they are looking at. And there are too few Mac users to worry about lost business.

The billion router they provide will work fine with a Mac - you have to download the drivers from the website. Sounds like you already have a router though. You will have to adjust the VPI and VCI settings in the modem/router software - VPI = 0 VCI = 100. If you go with the main alternative provider Loxinfo (it depends on who has supplied your phone line) it is VPI = 0 VCI = 35 (if memory serves).

The only problem you will have with the mac is in the event that you have to call out thier engineers. They will take one look at the mac and say its your fault. Have a cheap desktop around and there is no problem. DTs are very cheap to buy here.

Thanks guys, I've got it up and running now. :o First I plugged the LAN cable directly to my Powerbook and used Virtual PC to install True's software, now how pervert is that! Got it working right away. Luckily I managed to get the wireless router (sorry, I think I said hub before) also working and can now use the net wirelessly with OS X as well.

For some reason the username/password paper reads "truehisp Hispeed 256/128" and I thought I've got the wrong package as I ordered something like 3M line. International speed tests seem to give readings like 108-122 Kbps but within Thailand it's about 2,5 Mbps so, er, I think this is the 3M line after all!