Learning To Fish With A Cast Net.

shaggy1969

I had great fun learning to fish with a net last time I was up in Isaan.My G/F's uncle gave me an old net to practice.so after he had showed me how to fold and hold the net we went out into our Soi and started with learning how to cast it.After many failed attempts in casting i finally got the hang of launching it ,netted one of our dogs by accident which gave the folks that were watching a good chuckle.

The next day Uncle came round and said that i did ok the day before and that he wanted to take me to a nearby small lake to give me my next lesson.After many many failed attempts i finally managed to get a good cast and haul (not a single fish in the net but i was still happy that I had opened the net fully and had got a nod of approval from the master).

Learning to cast.

post-126208-0-14787200-1345967763_thumb.post-126208-0-74356500-1345967767_thumb.

Lam pao

post-126208-0-08298800-1345967824_thumb.post-126208-0-86766600-1345967827_thumb.post-126208-0-69788100-1345967832_thumb.

One day this could be me (I hope)

post-126208-0-58279800-1345967937_thumb.post-126208-0-36262200-1345967941_thumb.post-126208-0-60959600-1345967945_thumb.

I really enjoyed the experience and will continue practicing next time I am in Isaan.Anyone else tried tried this? if so how did it go?

Shaggy

• Like 2

I too am learning how to use one. Got hold of a 9 foot one and after a few lessons and many failed /dismal attempts actually went out today and bought a 5 foot one to learn on. Not sure if I am taking the easy way out or not but time will tell. I have actually caught quite a few fish but admittedly this is in my stocked pond in front of the house so cheating a bit really.

• Like 1

I too am learning how to use one. Got hold of a 9 foot one and after a few lessons and many failed /dismal attempts actually went out today and bought a 5 foot one to learn on. Not sure if I am taking the easy way out or not but time will tell. I have actually caught quite a few fish but admittedly this is in my stocked pond in front of the house so cheating a bit really.

Well done patongphil,doesn't really matter if it is a well stocked pond in front of your home or a lesser stocked lake,the fact is that you are opening your net and hauling it well by the sounds of it.I started with a cotton 8 foot net but I have got a 10 foot nylon/cotton one now.Maybe it's only me but I think that the nylon is easier to cast seeing as it doesnt soak and hold water the same as the 100% cotton does.I would really like to be able to do the same as my Uncle,he casts into deep water and then dives in to check the net for snags before hauling,but I am many years off that target.Good luck with your new net and happy catching.

Shaggy

• 3 months later...

Well done patongphil,doesn't really matter if it is a well stocked pond in front of your home or a lesser stocked lake,the fact is that you are opening your net and hauling it well by the sounds of it.I started with a cotton 8 foot net but I have got a 10 foot nylon/cotton one now.Maybe it's only me but I think that the nylon is easier to cast seeing as it doesnt soak and hold water the same as the 100% cotton does.I would really like to be able to do the same as my Uncle,he casts into deep water and then dives in to check the net for snags before hauling,but I am many years off that target.Good luck with your new net and happy catching.

Shaggy

me too guys i learned about 2 weeks ago

two attempts failed then one more attempt and it was great circle,

i thoght i got!

wrong took me another 20 try's to get the hand of it,

great fun and great skill i love it, not so lucky for the fish

and im getting ready to teach my son too with a smaller net offcourse,

go to youtube

type (how issan fishing net) there is tutorial by an young ameracan i think thats where i learned

• Like 1

Have tried many times to get it right, only ever caught mud and stones, yet I know there are fish in the pond. Can catch them with a little net on a pole, throw in some food and scoop them up.

Back of the house there is a river and the old guy next door will walk down caste his net and catch 3 or 4 fish. I'm lucky if I can catch a cold. Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shaggy

me too guys i learned about 2 weeks ago

two attempts failed then one more attempt and it was great circle,

i thoght i got!

wrong took me another 20 try's to get the hand of it,

great fun and great skill i love it, not so lucky for the fish

and im getting ready to teach my son too with a smaller net offcourse,

go to youtube

type (how issan fishing net) there is tutorial by an young ameracan i think thats where i learned

Thanks for the youtube tip,I watched and I try and do the same apart from I hold the chain line loosely with my left little finger.This seems to open the net out better for me.

I hope that you have great fun teaching your son to cast.

Shaggy

Have tried many times to get it right, only ever caught mud and stones, yet I know there are fish in the pond. Can catch them with a little net on a pole, throw in some food and scoop them up.

Back of the house there is a river and the old guy next door will walk down caste his net and catch 3 or 4 fish. I'm lucky if I can catch a cold. Jim

Keep at it Jim,I think I must of thrown the net 50 times before I finally managed to catch anything and the first fish I did catch would of looked more at home in a goldfish bowl.

Maybe you are throwing your net on top of the fish but hauling it too quick and not giving the fish time to get caught up in the net.

Shaggy