In Praise Of Skype Around 10 Bahts A Minute To Uk Bank

RubbaJohnny

Frustrated by wrong numbers and waiting for CAT ?TOT 100,105 etc I bit the bullet and used my Oz Skyep account

Clear line issue resolved 4 minutes total charge 30cents around 10 baht or 20p

Not everyone knows you can buy credit to call any landline and was especially handy for keying in account stuff on big easy to use screen keypad.

I spend $13.99 a month for unlimited call plan with Skype. I also have some inbound numbers so family can call me for $30 a year. Between Skype & Magic Jack I couldn't be happier.

Unlimited Skype calls3 to landlines and mobiles in

• Canada
  • China

• Guam
  • Hong Kong S.A.R., China

• Puerto Rico
  • Singapore

• Thailand
  • United States

Unlimited calls3 to landlines only

• Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia

• Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan

• Korea, South
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia (Moscow and St.Petersburg only)

• Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/pay-monthly/

Clear line issue resolved 4 minutes total charge 30cents around 10 baht or 20p

Not sure I understand your title and/or detail, but a 4 minute call for a total of 10 baht would be more like 2.5 baht/min? That is a good rate, and assuming your internet is trouble-free, a good alternative.

Termination to a landline in the U.K. yields the cheapest rates, I guess there must be some sort of regulatory-mandated termination charge on mobiles as those rates always seem to be + 3 ~ 4 baht?

A typical local calling card offers 2 baht/min to a fixed line in the U.K, while it is 6 baht/min to a mobile. CAT, TOT, DTAC, Truemove, AIS all seem to have similar prcing on their low-cost prefixes re: fixed and mobile.

Edited by lomatopo

If calling the UK on Skype, dont forget the connection fee (now about 9p a call inc VAT) and the VAT that is charged on top of displayed call rates. VAT is charged at 15% whenever you pay a credit top-up if you have a billing address in the EU. So, not quite as cheap as it first looks when you see the headline billing rates on their site, but still good value if you are calling a UK landline - whether standard or premium number. Calls are rounded up to the next whole minute on Skype.

• Calls to a standard landline number (ie non-premium number) are 1.4p per minute plus the once-per-call 7p connection fee with all this being subject to VAT at 15%. A short sub-1 minute call may be cheaper on your Thai mobile.
  • For a call to a mobile the cost is around 14.9p per minute plus connection and VAT. I find the 007 numbers on my payasugo 1-2call Thai mobile (TOT) to be about the same and slightly more convenient to use for these calls
  • A call to a premium landline number is 8.1p per minute (0844) to 12.7p (0870) per minute plus connection fee plus VAT.

All assuming you are paying by credit top up - as other posters have pointed out, if you are a high volume user the packages are good value.

Don't use your Thai TOT landline for international calls if you have one (many do to get the TOT internet in the sticks). Expensive

I have used VOIP cards a lot before but usually get frustrated by call quality and dropped numbers. Maybe others posting here have found good ones.

Edited by SantiSuk

I spend $13.99 a month for unlimited call plan with Skype. I also have some inbound numbers so family can call me for $30 a year. Between Skype & Magic Jack I couldn't be happier.

http://www.skype.com...es/pay-monthly/

I spend the same $13.99 a month my gf and me we use the same skype account and she can call from her Iphone using True 3G without any problems, I use a lot to call to America, plus Thailand and USA free of charge for mobile phones.

I have a phone in US with skype too so people can call me to skype like calling local in US, only 30 bucks per year with my other subscription http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/online-number?intcmp=so-offer2-r1-50offOnlineNumber

i like voipbuster because i can pick up any of three dedicated cordless phones in my house and make calls without being tied down to a computer. that the system works without any PC running goes without saying.