Retirement In Los For Seniors Over 70 Yo

cloudtiger

I'm trying to convince my folks to retire in LOS where I spend most of my time. Both of them are over 70, reasonably healthy, and financially secure. I would most likely rent/buy a place on the beach and have them stay with me with a staff to take care of the house chores, driving, and cooking. At some point, they would need homecare, nurse, etc., and I thought this would be a good way to keep an eye on them. They'd be coming from the US.

I was wondering how many of you TV members are over 70 and living here in LOS. What are the ups and downs of living here? Any tips at all? Thanks.

One big issue may be heat, and will they acclimatise? Where are they living now, and where in Thailand are you considering?

cv

They're in Hawaii. I was thinking Phuket or Hua Hin, someplace with access to good hospital. Thanks. Most likely, they'll spend most of the day indoor with the aircon set at 26C :o

Hua Hin will seem more at home. Cleaner by far than Phuket, and better beaches.

cv

Just a point about hospitals around Hua Hin. The Adelaide Alkie chopped one of his fingers off and badly damaged 2 others whilst attempting to adjust a deck chair (using a handphone is beyond him, so why he tried, I don't know). He was in hospital for 3 days and apparently the cost was in excess of Bht 70,000!

Hua Hin will seem more at home. Cleaner by far than Phuket, and better beaches.

cv

Just a point about hospitals around Hua Hin. The Adelaide Alkie chopped one of his fingers off and badly damaged 2 others whilst attempting to adjust a deck chair (using a handphone is beyond him, so why he tried, I don't know). He was in hospital for 3 days and apparently the cost was in excess of Bht 70,000!

Not sure what point you're making here.My guess is you are saying the medical costs of this unfortunate incident were huge.My conclusion is precisely the opposite, 3 days in a first class hospital, an intricate bit of surgery,nursing care, drugs, food etc for about Pnds Stg 1,000.Looks cheap to me and to anyone else not blessed with NHS free care.

Agreeing with Cassandra: elderly people coming from America, and used to private hospital prices, will possibly see a 90% decrease in their hospital and doctor costs. 5-baht pills are not unusual, and generic antibiotics (without prescription) go as cheap as 10 baht. There's no comparison.

However, the care in Hua Hin's best hospital, Sao Paulo, ranges from good to bad, depending on your luck of the draw at the time. In a difficult situation, removal to one of Bangkok's best hospitals is wise.

And if they're accustomed to beachside prices at Waikiki beach, they're going to love the prices for beachside homes in Hua Hin. I just have a two room bungalow, modern, 50 steps from the beach, and I only pay 10,500 baht. Honolulu, it might be 4,000 DOLLARS per month.

Thanks all. Hua Hin sounds great. The last time I was in Phuket 4 months ago, I found it rather hectic.

Basically, it's the depressing seniors retirement home for them or come to Thailand. I'm just more surprised that I don't see more 70+ yo seniors here. It just seems so much nicer than rotting in a nursing home at $5K US/mo.

And if they're accustomed to beachside prices at Waikiki beach, they're going to love the prices for beachside homes in Hua Hin. I just have a two room bungalow, modern, 50 steps from the beach, and I only pay 10,500 baht. Honolulu, it might be 4,000 DOLLARS per month.

Thanks. You're right about HI, Peaceblondie.

I'm trying to convince my folks to retire in LOS where I spend most of my time. Both of them are over 70, reasonably healthy, and financially secure. I would most likely rent/buy a place on the beach and have them stay with me with a staff to take care of the house chores, driving, and cooking. At some point, they would need homecare, nurse, etc., and I thought this would be a good way to keep an eye on them. They'd be coming from the US.

I was wondering how many of you TV members are over 70 and living here in LOS. What are the ups and downs of living here? Any tips at all? Thanks.

Absolutely crazy advice you are offering... IMHO.

Really? Why? Please elaborate.

Would you rather sit in a nursing home with all the other geezers waiting to die while the company sucks your life savings dry or stay in a big mansion with servants, nurse, driver, cook, and maybe even little children to play with?

I'm not trying to be facetious. I'd like to know if I'm about to commit a serious error.

Udon,

Sorry, but my camera's been misplaced or gotten legs and walked off. I don't have a photo. It's about 520 square feet (47 square meters), tile floor, lots of full length glass sliding doors with screens, set among palms and other trees. It's air conditioned, with a full modern toilet with hot water and flush commode, and a full kitchen. I pay 200 baht extra for tap water, 500 for full laundry service on premises, and 250 per week for a thorough cleaning. It's partly furnished (2.5 wardrobes, other pieces available on demand, but I have my own).

Naturally, I'd like to think I've gotten a real bargain, but I don't know how it compares with other places in Hua Hin. The last guy who lived here is now paying twice as much for a fifth floor penthouse with a 360 degree view right on the beach, nearby.

I ran into a tourist from Hawaii, who thought a two room condo on Waikiki beach would be at least US$100 per night (4000 baht). Actually, some of the 5 star hotels, condos and resorts here cost more than that, nightly.

Really? Why? Please elaborate.

Would you rather sit in a nursing home with all the other geezers waiting to die while the company sucks your life savings dry or stay in a big mansion with servants, nurse, driver, cook, and maybe even little children to play with?

I'm not trying to be facetious. I'd like to know if I'm about to commit a serious error.

No argument with you about the unreasonable costs in The US for senior care. I do not see anything appealing about Thailand to an elderly couple from the US. Nothing. I would consider Mexico a better option, maybe in Oaxaca Mexico for example. It seems to me Costa Rica is also a better option in the case you describe.

I suspect most of the retirees in LOS are men who take up with Thai girlfriends as compared to a couple in their seventies.

Chookdee

Udon,

Sorry, but my camera's been misplaced or gotten legs and walked off. I don't have a photo. It's about 520 square feet (47 square meters), tile floor, lots of full length glass sliding doors with screens, set among palms and other trees. It's air conditioned, with a full modern toilet with hot water and flush commode, and a full kitchen. I pay 200 baht extra for tap water, 500 for full laundry service on premises, and 250 per week for a thorough cleaning. It's partly furnished (2.5 wardrobes, other pieces available on demand, but I have my own).

Naturally, I'd like to think I've gotten a real bargain, but I don't know how it compares with other places in Hua Hin. The last guy who lived here is now paying twice as much for a fifth floor penthouse with a 360 degree view right on the beach, nearby.

I ran into a tourist from Hawaii, who thought a two room condo on Waikiki beach would be at least US$100 per night (4000 baht). Actually, some of the 5 star hotels, condos and resorts here cost more than that, nightly.

PB, sounds like a bargain, esp the location for only $250+ a month! :D

To cloudtiger.

Bring the oldies out for a holiday and let them decide. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful about medical insurance. If your folks are relying on medicare it is of no value in Thailand. It will not cover medicine or hospital or doctor. Once you reach the age of 70, it is difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to get medical insurance.

Health care in general is excellent in Thailand, but certain procedures are not performed often in Thailand, and a reasonable person might be well advised to have these procedures (e.g., prostrate surgery) performed when the surgeon performs them frequently.

If your folks have many friends in Hawaii, they may miss their friends.

I might suggest they give it a try for say, three months.

Why not bring them out here for a holiday and see if they like it, want to stay longer or feel the need to go back to familiar surroundings

You could split it into two parts with them getting familiar with both areas you mention.

As several posters are already advising, the insurance factor is very important at this stage in life, especially when your in Thailand, as it,s a long way from home and the alternatives are to worrying to think about unless you have mega cash to back them up.

If something serious happens how are you going to get them back home should this happen.

Personally i think vacations in the cooler seasons are most suitable for them, again due to being in later life. then going back home for the warmer months there.

Good luck and i hope it works out for all of you.

marshbags :o:D:D

Health care in general is excellent in Thailand, but certain procedures are not performed often in Thailand, and a reasonable person might be well advised to have these procedures (e.g., prostrate surgery) performed when the surgeon performs them frequently.

Tim,

I agree with your suggestion that his parent's give Thailand a 3 month tryout before deciding to move here.

I disagree with your statement that Prostate surgery is not performed often in Thailand.

I know many urologists (6 at least) in Bangkok and they perform prostate surgery all the time. It is probably the most common operation that any urologist anywhere in the world performs. One older doctor told me that he was used to perform as many as 5-6 TURPs daily (TURP is the medical name for prostate surgery). That was about 10 years ago.

Bangkok also has what is referred to as the "cutting edge in prostate surgery" at Bumrungrad Hospital for the last 3 - 4 years. It is called Laserscope surgery and is much less invasive using lasers instead of the old-fashioned heat and blades used in a TURP operation. I know this from personal experience, as I had it done last year at Bumrungrad and could not be happier with the results.

On a followup with my urologist (Dr. Pailboon), he told me that he was doing the same operation on an American MD who was visiting Thailand. Laserscope (aka PVP Greenlight) was started about 5 years ago in the states by a California firm and is growing in popularity among urologists around the world. Dr Paiboon told me he is doing about 200 of these surgeries each year in Thailand.

Also, I recall reading that Don "Tiny Bubbles" Ho from Hawaii visited Thailand in December to have heart surgery performed that was not available yet in the US. He said it saved his life. I think the procedure was not yet approved for surgeons in the US.

All of the people I know who have had medical procedures done here (Bankgok) were happy with the results and ecstatic about the cost.

I agree, nursing homes are totally depressing if you still have some mental facilities. Went to visit an a 90 year-old aunt and basically could not pick her out of the rows and rows of doddering white haired old ladies. Hire a couple of cheap locals to help them as they age and give them some dignity.

One thing you should consider is the availability or lack thereof of emergency services. If your Mom or Dad have a heart attack where they live in the US there is a good chance that trained rescue personnel could be there within 5-10 minutes. There is absolutely no chance of that happening here.

My landlady is a Thai with a lot of property, about 62 years old with a mother still living. She recently purchased a home in a new hospice/retirement home that just started in Bangkok, that includes nursing care. I just saw the video they can send you in the mail, and am about to check their website. PM me for details. The idea of such a facility may not appeal to most Thais (esp. since they can't afford this place), but it makes more sense to us older farang.