Computer Keeps Crashing-Help!

russianrobert

My computer keeps crashing lately and i get the following Dialog Boxes.

What's the best course of action to resolve the situation?

(the attached photos are out of sequence. I get the second one first, then the first, when i click on that i get the last)

Cheers

post-63049-0-86978700-1346223021_thumb.j

post-63049-0-12814300-1346223064_thumb.j

post-63049-0-61422300-1346223137_thumb.j

I had a similar problem recently where my PC crashed at various times and I had the blue screen message. Sometimes I'd get the unrecognised USB message first while at other times it might crash when I tried opening a media player. Sometimes it just crashed on start up. I had two strips of ram connected and one of those turned out to be faulty. Unplugged it and everything is back to normal (with less ram of course).

details of the computers, model, operative system.

looks like both of you have installed wrong drivers, try to upgrade the drivers of the motherboard, chipset, and usb drivers from microsoft or better directly from the branch or fabricator.

• Like 1

looks like both of you have installed wrong drivers, try to upgrade the drivers of the motherboard, chipset, and usb drivers from microsoft or better directly from the branch or fabricator.

Not a case of Sumrit having the wrong drivers installed. I had the same problem of crashes for a while before I discovered on RAM block was faulty.

I am using a Sony Vaio, E Series. Running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have recently installed a new anti virus software and then i needed to download a Windows service pack to make it work properly. I installed the service pack after the problem had already started, so I don't think it's that.

The anti virus software was downloaded from the manufacturers website, not from an installation disc.

Not sure what to do next.

a RAM problem it's very very strange and it's better to start with the easy things, in the third image it's obviusly that bad drivers or not drivers at all are installed for USB, and since USB need the bridge chipsets of the motherboard to work, they must install the latest drivers for these three things. Install the latest drivers to fix blue screen problems all the time is a good practice, run all the memory checks could take many hours, plus learn about do it.

a RAM problem it's very very strange and it's better to start with the easy things, in the third image it's obviusly that bad drivers or not drivers at all are installed for USB, and since USB need the bridge chipsets of the motherboard to work, they must install the latest drivers for these three things. Install the latest drivers to fix blue screen problems all the time is a good practice, run all the memory checks could take many hours, plus learn about do it.

Thanks for your reply, ITGabs.

Where do i download the latest drivers for 'these three things'?

What the hell is a' memory check' and where do i learn how to do it?

Cheers

Hi It could be a number of things

" Blue Screens of Death" are notoriously spurious though this looks as though it is acurate with the other 2 pics in support of USB error

To upgrade the usb drivers will probably require a cmos flash. I had to do it for my laptop Contact the Manufactures Support site ) a bit messy.

First try

1 Checking your CMOS settings (Press F12 for setup) to make sure Legacy USB is enabled. If not eneable it.

2 Check every USB Port If some is plugged in Try moving it to another slot then check if the unknown device error changes with it IF it does then you have the culprit May Mouse keyboard Bluetooth device. Remember there are slots front and back

2. You could just disable the unkown device on the usb hub and see what happens whatever it is is not working so you don't need it anyway

3 you can uninstall you the usb hub with the unknown device (this could be your mouse or Keyboard if they are USB ) Then restart and it will reinstall

4 You have a bluetooth device in the USB take it out and reboot check for the unknown device then

5 Check you computer with a different virus software There are a few nasty viruses that attack USBs

Hi It could be a number of things

" Blue Screens of Death" are notoriously spurious though this looks as though it is acurate with the other 2 pics in support of USB error

To upgrade the usb drivers will probably require a cmos flash. I had to do it for my laptop Contact the Manufactures Support site ) a bit messy.

First try

1 Checking your CMOS settings (Press F12 for setup) to make sure Legacy USB is enabled. If not eneable it.

2 Check every USB Port If some is plugged in Try moving it to another slot then check if the unknown device error changes with it IF it does then you have the culprit May Mouse keyboard Bluetooth device. Remember there are slots front and back

2. You could just disable the unkown device on the usb hub and see what happens whatever it is is not working so you don't need it anyway

3 you can uninstall you the usb hub with the unknown device (this could be your mouse or Keyboard if they are USB ) Then restart and it will reinstall

4 You have a bluetooth device in the USB take it out and reboot check for the unknown device then

5 Check you computer with a different virus software There are a few nasty viruses that attack USBs

Okay, i had a feeling this was going to degenerate into a foreign language. I have no idea what CMOS settings are but i pressed F12 and nothing happens. What is that shortcut supposed to do?

I have nothing plugged into any of my USB ports. My iphone is connected to the computer via Bluetooth all the time. I occasionally sync the iphone to itunes on my computer via the USB port but it works okay. I downloaded photos from my camera via the USB port yesterday, worked okay too.

Thanks for your reply, ITGabs.

Where do i download the latest drivers for 'these three things'?

What the hell is a' memory check' and where do i learn how to do it?

Cheers

go to this page http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?NOPROD=YES&DIRECTOR=DRIVER&1=3

you must introduce your model number, here are the instruction to find it http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264#notebook

you can use download and install the drivers for windows 7, but you need to know what version of win 7 you have, x86 or x64

for know that, go to windows -> control panel -> system, in the system (bottom) area, you will find the system type: that will tell you what version you have.

you can upgrade safely all except the "BIOS" (you can try it but I not recommend it since could be complicated)

At the end or after reboots (many drivers will ask you for reboot o restart) you can check the status of the drivers on

windows -> control panel -> Device Manager

when everythigs is ok you must see only around 15 or 20 items in one line, if you see more and in a second line that it's mean some of the devices in the second line still have problems, sometims happend that you need to uninstall completely the device drivers with problems (right button ->uninstall on the device with problems) and later install again the driver, or in some extrange cases you must uninstall all the second line, in your case all the usb things, and follow this order to install the latest drivers from sony.

Chipset Intel/motherboard

Card readers/Chipset (Ricoh,XHCI)

USB

integrated video drivers

Ati or Nvidia drivers

Sound card

and all the rest, network, wifi, touchpad, key mappings and periferical.

I think that will fix your problem

take care with the usd plugs, you must connect like you park a car in your garage, not crushing with the two side walls or verticaly crashing with the floor or the roof, USB plugs have voltage that in a bad position can produce a short circuit producing the blue screen and in the worst cases killing a part or all your mainboard.

If you still have problems after remember to take pictures of the blue screen, that codes are very useful so we will do more checks

Might be worth a try:

"...I discovered the answer. It couldn't have been more simple! Just disconnect the power lead and remove the battery. Leave the machine powered down for a few minutes till all capacitors are fully discharged, then power it up again - problem solved!

Apparently, this can happen if a USB port becomes overloaded with excessive current draw, or if you remove a usb device without first selecting remove hardware. I feel that Vaio support should have known this, and should not simply have fobbed me off with a dismissive "we don't support Win 7 on this machine..."

http://www.sony-euro.../message/655879

Might be worth a try:

"...I discovered the answer. It couldn't have been more simple! Just disconnect the power lead and remove the battery. Leave the machine powered down for a few minutes till all capacitors are fully discharged, then power it up again - problem solved!

Apparently, this can happen if a USB port becomes overloaded with excessive current draw, or if you remove a usb device without first selecting remove hardware. I feel that Vaio support should have known this, and should not simply have fobbed me off with a dismissive "we don't support Win 7 on this machine..."

http://www.sony-euro.../message/655879

That is also a very interesting post. I have been guilty of removing devices, particularly my flash card without first selecting 'remove hardware'

I will look into all options posted at report back.

Cheers

You sir have faulty ram. Download RAM Test and run diagnostics on it. better yet download Hi-Rens and keep it on a bootable USB stick for when you need it.

Also try cleaning the dust out of your ram by removing and blowing on it and in the slot.

Some of the answers in this forum are funny. "BOD means many things.." actually it tells you whats wrong. *shakes head*

I have not used remove hardware in all my years of owning USB devices.