More Ups Than Downs Surviving In Isaan

Jezz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer darling, which is the norm (I think). biggrin.png

Yes, if you're British or from some parts in North America.

So the rest of the planet is Papa eh. ? laugh.png ..................................bah.gif

Chéri if you speak French for instance.

Agree, l am in Isaan and the few times l have come across the Papa thing is when a guy looks old and his mrs doesn't sad.png . Seems to me that it's for the natives to think the old guy is a carer for the young native. If my mrs referred to me that way l would be a bit pissed off. I prefer darling, which is the norm (I think). biggrin.png

As long as it is Darling and not Duckling all is good. Listen closely as I have heard a few Isaan girls slip in the second version. All embarrassed when I raise the eyebrows on the pronunciation. I generally get Gaoa Laoa or something like that which I know means old fart (local interpretation).

Cheers

Slight spelling mistake there. I think it was meant to be darkling. tongue.png

A trip up to the sticks a while back, some girl referred to me as dak ling, she was most pissed off when I referred to her as na ling, raucous laughter from the natives as one pissed off local exited stage left.

• Like 1

Papa is reserved for non-sexual relationships with men of an older generation.

I think that will be ok then, as the OP already said that he was married.

quite right , my girl friends mother , calls me papa.

in a previous relationship , i was know as farang sam ?

best of luck to farang number 4 , he sure needs it , pang .

clap2.gif

Papa is reserved for non-sexual relationships with men of an older generation.

I think that will be ok then, as the OP already said that he was married.

quite right , my girl friends mother , calls me papa.

in a previous relationship , i was know as farang sam ?

best of luck to farang number 4 , he sure needs it , pang .

clap2.gif

Thought you were known by mum as........A.....low T.....im............M.....y son........laugh.png

Slight spelling mistake there. I think it was meant to be darkling. tongue.png

A trip up to the sticks a while back, some girl referred to me as dak ling, she was most pissed off when I referred to her as na ling, raucous laughter from the natives as one pissed off local exited stage left.

To which you were reffering: นา or น้า ? either way, hillarious

หน้า, was what I was referring to.

Perhaps the mods will cut us some slack here for posting in Thai font, as has been evidenced above, there is just no way to get the intent of naa across in English, just a bit of light hearted banter with no harm intended.

I've been married to my Thai bride for 11 years and we has referred to each other as papa and mama the entire time. We have a four year old son and now she frequently refers to me as daddy when he is present. Our age gap is only ten years so I hope she hasn't been deeply disrespecting me this whole time. She comes from a small village in the Sakon Nakhon province. Maybe it has different meanings in different areas perhaps?

I've been married to my Thai bride for 11 years and we has referred to each other as papa and mama the entire time. We have a four year old son and now she frequently refers to me as daddy when he is present. Our age gap is only ten years so I hope she hasn't been deeply disrespecting me this whole time. She comes from a small village in the Sakon Nakhon province. Maybe it has different meanings in different areas perhaps?

Dad or Daddy has no negative meanings in Thai language, so not a problem if you have children together.

Papa is altogether different.

My experience of Isaan is that they mostly speak Lao,so the OP learning Thai is never going to understand them. Strange that he hasn't figured this out, and his wife never told him.

Ah! Thanks. That's where I've been going wrong. But seriously, you overlook the fact that Lao-speaking Isaan folk are readily understood all over Thailand, and have little problem with the main Thai language. Maybe that's why there are more Thai language schools than Lao language schools.

My experience suggests, that the only people who understand them are other Isaan people, of which there are many all over Thailand. They are supposed to have learned Thai in school, but choose to speak their own language together.

lol I'd assume he ment หน้า ลิง (naa ling - face monkey), although น้า ลิง(naa ling - uncle/auntie monkey) or นา ลิง (naa ling - farm monkey) would all be quite funny in the right situation regardless lol

In general though I definitely agree with the OP, Isaan life isn't for everyone. I've only been living here for 2 years, but so far I absolutely love it, any barriers can be overcome and then you're sorted for in the future

Edited by SlyAnimal

Dad or Daddy has no negative meanings in Thai language, so not a problem if you have children together.

Papa is altogether different.

Like I said. We call each other mama and papa when son is not in the room. Have done this our entire 11 years together. Are u suggesting that I have been disrespected this entire time? If so. How so?

Like I said. We call each other mama and papa when son is not in the room. Have done this our entire 11 years together. Are u suggesting that I have been disrespected this entire time? If so. How so?

If a Thai lady is calling you PAPA, she is announcing to the world that she considers you too old to be her sexual partner.

• Like 1

If a Thai lady is calling you PAPA, she is announcing to the world that she considers you too old to be her sexual partner.

I think the difference is when it is said. If its just between the two, and no one else can hear, its just pillow talk. It is disrespectful when she would have said it when others, esp her close friends and family is around

Personally,I do not like to be called "papa".But after 20 years here in Isaan,I know,that it is meant respectfully!! In the same way,as people here can call a stranger "mama",or an older gentleman "uncle" and so on.The point is,that since most people respect older relatives,especially their parents,to call somebody with the same word as they call their relatives,is a sign of respect;not the other way round!! Why don`t you just check with your Isaan gf/wife and wise up!!

Personally,I do not like to be called "papa".But after 20 years here in Isaan,I know,that it is meant respectfully!! In the same way,as people here can call a stranger "mama",or an older gentleman "uncle" and so on.The point is,that since most people respect older relatives,especially their parents,to call somebody with the same word as they call their relatives,is a sign of respect;not the other way round!! Why don`t you just check with your Isaan gf/wife and wise up!!

I've actually never heard anyone (over the age of 5) call anyone MAMA.

I totally agree uncle/aunt is used to respectfully address people of an older generation.

But we aren't discussing that, we are talking about the use of the word PAPA in public, and it only has one particular use.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

lol I'd assume he ment หน้า ลิง (naa ling - face monkey), although น้า ลิง(naa ling - uncle/auntie monkey) or นา ลิง (naa ling - farm monkey) would all be quite funny in the right situation regardless lol

In general though I definitely agree with the OP, Isaan life isn't for everyone. I've only been living here for 2 years, but so far I absolutely love it, any barriers can be overcome and then you're sorted for in the future

Na ling is also "fat monkey" and the duckling as mentioned in a post before is "dag ling" monkey's ass. Many hidden infos in Isaan language. The locals love it if you don't understand but they will respect you the more if you do. Learn the language and your life quality increases dramatically. Enjoy Isaan.

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well,Tommo,Perhaps I should have used the thai words for mama;mae,but I assumed that people understood anyway.I do not know where you live,but around here,it is used regularly! Amongst others by my 49 year old "wife" to older women...Regarding the word "Papa",some people,who needed some favor from me,called me that. Hard to think,that they meant to be disrespectful,especially since their bodylanguage accentuated respect! I guess,that because in many western countries,old people are seen as burdens,put in homes and beyond expiredate already when they reach 40-50 years,some people expect that all other countries have the same sorts of values (or lack of..).That`s why they conclude,that Papa and similar words are insults..Never mind,you can go on getting angry over imagined insults if you want.However,now you have been briefed,your choice!

• Like 2

Well,Tommo,Perhaps I should have used the thai words for mama;mae,but I assumed that people understood anyway.I do not know where you live,but around here,it is used regularly! Amongst others by my 49 year old "wife" to older women...Regarding the word "Papa",some people,who needed some favor from me,called me that. Hard to think,that they meant to be disrespectful,especially since their bodylanguage accentuated respect! I guess,that because in many western countries,old people are seen as burdens,put in homes and beyond expiredate already when they reach 40-50 years,some people expect that all other countries have the same sorts of values (or lack of..).That`s why they conclude,that Papa and similar words are insults..Never mind,you can go on getting angry over imagined insults if you want.However,now you have been briefed,your choice!

I constantly laugh at the way posters change what they say to support their side of the argument.

Why on earth would anyone assume MAMA is Mare (translated in some strange way to tinglish)

From that statement can I assume you only speak bar girl Thai?

Yes,posters change words ,even other people`s words,which is obvious from your post,in which you changed my attempt to wright Thai in roman letters. I wrote "mae" You changed it to "mare".It made me laugh too;I think it is the word for a female horse? Whether that is bar girl Thai,I haven`t a clue.But I take your word for it,guess you are familiar with that sort of things...

• Like 1

Yes,posters change words ,even other people`s words,which is obvious from your post,in which you changed my attempt to wright Thai in roman letters. I wrote "mae" You changed it to "mare".It made me laugh too;I think it is the word for a female horse? Whether that is bar girl Thai,I haven`t a clue.But I take your word for it,guess you are familiar with that sort of things...

Thai transliteration into Roman script isn't all it should/could be.

Mae (as written) would be pronounced by most English speakers as May (the month) which a Thai person cannot understand.

Mare (the horse) is much closer to the Thai pronunciation for the word mother, only missing the 'high tone', and most Thais would understand an English speaker saying 'mare' means mother.

Of course a person who can't read or speak Thai would be unlikely to understand that.

Always amusing when for example a foreigner in CM tries to get a SongTow to Mae (May?) Rim or Mae (May?) Tang (arai na)...... when they should be asking for 'Mare Rim' or 'Mare Tairng'.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If I wrote the Thai word for "mother" wrong,I am in good company! I got it from one of my books,"Essential Thai" by James Higbie.FYI,there is no "high tone" in that word!It is a "Low class consonant" with a "myayk" over it,indikating a FALLING tone!No wonder Thais do not understand,when spoken wrongly.... Anyway,thanks for the conversation,this has to be my last word on the subject.

Romanised spelling of Thai words gives little (or no) indication of correct pronunciation.

Which is why learning Thai without reading Thai script is so pointless.

Have to disagree with this.

Learning Thai through listening and using Thai is very achievable, but learning Thai with Roman spelling is near impossible.

Anyway sorry to the OP for questioning 'Papa', I can see you are more than happy in Issan which is the important thing.