Newly Married To Thai In U.s. Do I Need Non-'o' Visa? Can I Stay 6 Months?

We just got married in the U.S., and now we want to travel to Thailand for 6 months. My previous 6-month visits to Thailand have been on 2-entry Tourist Visa's, where I purchased a 30-day extension after the initial 60-days; then had to leave the country and re-enter to get the second 60-days followed by another purchased 30-day extension.

Now that we are married, can I apply for an 'O' Visa in the U.S. that will allow me to stay in Thailand for 6 months without having to leave the country on a visa run after 90-days? Or should I just keep doing the same Tourist Visa thing?

Thank you in advance!!

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Img.aspx

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes:

- To perform official duties: (Category “F”)

- To conduct business / to work: (Category “B”)

- To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects or seminar, to attend a conference or training course, to study as a foreign Buddhist monk: (Category “ED”)

- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter: (Category “M”)

- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned: (Category “R”)

- To conduct scientific research or training or teaching in research institute: (Category “RS”)

- Other activities: (Category “O”) as follows: To stay with the family, perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

- To stay after retirement for a person who over 50 years old or older: (Category “O-A”)

Possibly you could get a Non-O for staying with family.

A Non Imm O Visa single Entry gives a stay of 90 days.

A Multiple Non Imm O Visa is valid for 12 months and gives multiple entries of up to 90 days each entry.

Or you can stay with the Tourist Visas.

Either way you are going to have to leave the country after 90 days.

We just got married in the U.S., and now we want to travel to Thailand for 6 months. My previous 6-month visits to Thailand have been on 2-entry Tourist Visa's, where I purchased a 30-day extension after the initial 60-days; then had to leave the country and re-enter to get the second 60-days followed by another purchased 30-day extension.

Now that we are married, can I apply for an 'O' Visa in the U.S. that will allow me to stay in Thailand for 6 months without having to leave the country on a visa run after 90-days? Or should I just keep doing the same Tourist Visa thing?

Thank you in advance!!

-----------------------

Actually either way would work in your particular case.

The advantage of a non immigrant O multi-entry is that it would be good for one year from issue and each entry would get you 90 days stay within that year.

The disadvantage is that it costs more and there may be more paperwork to get it originally.

With a multi-entry O visa....you can do a "border run:....to the nearest Thai border from where your staying.

With that border run you do not need to actually spend more than a few minutes outside of Thailand.

On a border run you simply go to the nearest border, exit Thailand making sure to get your exit stamp as you leave, then immeadiately turn around and re-enter Thailand.

On re-entry you are again stamped in for another 90 days....as long as that multi-entry visa remains valid.

Therefore there is no need to spend time in another country...unless you want to.

Here in Bangkok, a border run like that can be done as about a 12 hour day trip....by air conditioned 16 passenger van....all provided by the border run company. Everything done for you except the actual effort of physically leaving and returning across the border.

Couldn't be easier. For a (relatively cheap) fee of course.

wai.gif

Get a triple tourist will be cheaper. Send in your marriage cert to aviod all the FREAKING hassles these days.

Actually a multi entry non O would be 5,000 and 3 entry tourist 3,000 and the tourist visa would require an extra exit or two extra extensions so not likely to be cheaper. And the multi O may cover the next visit or change of plans easier. And if change to extension of stay is desired save a 2,000 baht step.

I am fro the US

I have the Non O based on marraige.

I have the 1 year multi entry visa

If you leave and return just before it expires, it really is good for 15 months

ake sure in Thailand to register your marraige. this may take a little running around for a day, but helps alot in the future with visas and other issues that may come up when you end up living here and you will . . .

The registration of foreign marriage is not required unless you will be using this as a reason for extensions of stay from Immigration at some point - it is not required for any visa issue. You are married here regardless of the actual marriage having taken place elsewhere.

Normally this would be a multi day event as you must have translation/embassy papers and then record at Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then take that recording to record at a District Office.

I am from the USA and over the past 40 years I have used visa exempt entry, Tourist Visa and Non-O visa based on Thai wife. I have found that a Non-O with multi entry works best in the long run and offers options should events cause a change in plans. I get my Non-O at the Dallas Texas Honorary Consulate with little effort. Just proof of marriage, a letter from my wife asking for a visa and the usual pictures and proof of funds. I make an appointment and take all the documents. Usually out within 30 minutes with a new Non-O visa with multi entry. The last visa cost $200.

Thank you in advance!!

-----------------------

Actually either way would work in your particular case.

The advantage of a non immigrant O multi-entry is that it would be good for one year from issue and each entry would get you 90 days stay within that year.

The disadvantage is that it costs more and there may be more paperwork to get it originally.

With a multi-entry O visa....you can do a "border run:....to the nearest Thai border from where your staying.

With that border run you do not need to actually spend more than a few minutes outside of Thailand.

On a border run you simply go to the nearest border, exit Thailand making sure to get your exit stamp as you leave, then immeadiately turn around and re-enter Thailand.

On re-entry you are again stamped in for another 90 days....as long as that multi-entry visa remains valid.

Therefore there is no need to spend time in another country...unless you want to.

Here in Bangkok, a border run like that can be done as about a 12 hour day trip....by air conditioned 16 passenger van....all provided by the border run company. Everything done for you except the actual effort of physically leaving and returning across the border.

Couldn't be easier. For a (relatively cheap) fee of course.

wai.gif

I would like to see some sort of official answer to the part about "not entering the other country, just turn around and go back through Immigration".

I didn't want the OP to get the wrong information, that was my reason for asking as the last time I went through a land crossing there was one guy who was sent back to get the stamps before being allowed to re-enter. It was very busy and he thought it would be quicker.

Thank you! Good information, all!

We will be on Koh Mak (running a little 5-room guesthouse, Thaidaho Vista Resort), so a border run to Cambodia can be accomplished in a matter of hours. The costs work out about the same between a 2-entry Tourist and a multi-entry 'O', and both approaches still require one border run. But the point about avoiding the two 30-day extension applications, required for the Tourist Visa approach, is spot on. The multi-entry 'O' would require just one border run, done. So I think I'll try that route. And yes, I do understand that one must enter and leave Cambodia, getting all appropriate stamps.

Thank you, all!!