Tourism Ministry To Review Plans To Raise Entrance Fees At All National Parks: Thailand

webfact

Tourism Ministry to review plans to raise entrance fees at all national parks

BANGKOK, 30 August 2012 (NNT) – The Tourism Ministry has agreed in principle to look at a request from the private sector to review the planned rise of entrance fees at all national parks.

Tourism Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa said he has received a letter from the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), requesting the Tourism Ministry to discuss with the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department the planned increase in the entrance fees at all national parks across the country.

The National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department initially planned to raise the fee on October 1. Mr. Chumpol said that he has accepted to heed ATTA’s request and will proceed to look at the matter without delay.

In other news, the Tourism Minister said that the ministry has assigned the Tourism Authority of Thailand to work with its overseas offices and TAT representative offices in 14 countries to conduct a study on how to revive the Thailand Elite Card project among international visitors. Mr. Chumpol expects the study to draw a conclusion by September before being presented to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for consideration.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-30 footer_n.gif

Government responsiveness to concerns expressed by many? Oh frabjous day!

Perhaps the 2-tiered pricing system might also be a topic for discussion. Even at the Grand Palace/Wat Phra Kaew, Thai-farang family members are separated into different entry gates to exact different fees (work permit, tabien baan, residency permit notwithstanding).

• Like 2

I would like to know if the price hikes are plowed directly back into park/monument maintenence and improvement, or are funneled back the usual government afternoon tea fund. I would not mind so much if the money was used towards preserving these places. As it is I don't visit any parks that requires me to pay a seven fold increase over a local, as it it smacks of just being down right rapacious. Probably most group tourists don't know they are being squeezed on entrance fees, since this is prepaid with in the package, but if they did it, would just be another blemish on the image of Thailand as a tourist destination. Even the infamous Phuket tuk tuk drivers don't jack the price up 700% on a falangs as every time. No matter how much a Thai is smiling at you, one wearies of them having their hand in your pocket at the same time.

• Like 2

I despise the double pricing system as much as any of you. That being said, the last time I visited Chiang Mai Zoo I was given the royal treatment. Not only did I pay the same entrance fee as my Thai GF but, they gave me, at no charge, an unlimited trail-train pass. I had to buy one for my GF but, mine was free. Sometimes they like us, sometimes they don't.

Edited by DowntownAl
  • Like 2

I think the concern here is not the rise in farang prices (25per cent) but the 150 per cent in the price for the locals. To then suggest that this will not reduce visitor numbers is pure Kittirattspeak.

The guides and the businesses within the parks will be the ones to suffer.

All the park workers are getting pay rises (eventually) so costs are going up. To maintain income levels, entry fees and other charges have to increase, same as most other prices.

Those with the least money get the rough end of the pineapple again, as usual.

Oh man, what a primitive Thai way to solve a problem, raise the entrance fees for a farang to "get more $$$$$$$ out of their pockets, since they can't speak freaking Thai or understand any Thai rule circumventing matter...

And where does the money go in the end???? To the same corrupt and exploiting greedy politicians and businessmen property managers who created the environmental deforestation problems in the first place...

Fees are rising for everyone, Thais included. Living here 12 years, I don't often attend these places anymore. It's mainly aimed at tourists who might only visit Thailand once or twice, and I doubt most of them are concerned with dual pricing.

I would love to see double pricing in Oz or in any western country,can you imagine the racist outburst from our international tourists and the feelgood brigade,there was a job add on a web site the other day stating , lazy Indians and Asians need not apply, you don't think that got some air time.Time for another cuppa.coffee1.gif

I would like to know if the price hikes are plowed directly back into park/monument maintenence and improvement, or are funneled back the usual government afternoon tea fund. I would not mind so much if the money was used towards preserving these places. As it is I don't visit any parks that requires me to pay a seven fold increase over a local, as it it smacks of just being down right rapacious. Probably most group tourists don't know they are being squeezed on entrance fees, since this is prepaid with in the package, but if they did it, would just be another blemish on the image of Thailand as a tourist destination. Even the infamous Phuket tuk tuk drivers don't jack the price up 700% on a falangs as every time. No matter how much a Thai is smiling at you, one wearies of them having their hand in your pocket at the same time.

I got two, and a wake up!

Oh man, what a primitive Thai way to solve a problem, raise the entrance fees for a farang to "get more $$$$$$$ out of their pockets, since they can't speak freaking Thai or understand any Thai rule circumventing matter...

And where does the money go in the end???? To the same corrupt and exploiting greedy politicians and businessmen property managers who created the environmental deforestation problems in the first place...

Fees are rising for everyone, Thais included. Living here 12 years, I don't often attend these places anymore. It's mainly aimed at tourists who might only visit Thailand once or twice, and I doubt most of them are concerned with dual pricing.

If its for Thais as well as I just briefly skimmed through the paragraphs… it's even worse for all visitors. They rip us all off, Thais and international tourists.

That extra money that every visitor is paying for is going into the pockets of those corrupt politician and business National park owners who use that money for more under the table business…

I mean what do you expect??? That they use the money to invest in reforestation venues??? Are you kidding me? Welcome to Thailand...

Edited by MaxLee

National Parks should be just that National Parks, a place where all should be able to enjoy the natural enviroment of the country. I think the costs are already too high. 40 THB is already prohibitive for a large segment of the Thai population. That means a family of 6 is paying 240 THB +50 THB vehicle = 290 THB just to get in to the park. That is a full days wage for most Thais.

The foreigner price is also a bit steep. Last year I had three family members visiting, we were cruising through Kanchanaburi and thought it would be nice to have a picnic lunch by the waterfall. 1200 THB for them + 80 THB for the wife and I + 50 THB for the car = 1330 THB. Thats a bit steep for a picnic.

As for all the two tiered pricing haters... I have to say I really disagree. These are facilities paid for by Thai taxes so Thais should receive a discount. We all know that if the rate for Thais was 400 THB very few Thais could afford to go.

I am from the USA so I can't speak for any other country.... but two tiered pricing happens all the time in the USA.

I grew up in a beach town. Every household in town got two free season passes, all outsiders could only buy week long passes at 20USD per week or day passes at 5USD per day. Now my US home is in a different beach town where we dont have that same policy. It infuriates me that we dont have a similar system. If I want to take a walk on the beach when I come home from work just 200 meters from my house it costs me the same as any tourist, 8USD even though I pay the high taxes associated with operating a tourist town; lifeguards, beach cleaning, large police force etc. they do not.

State Universities are probably the best example. Out of state residents usually pay about 100% more than in-state residents, foreign students pay about 100% more than that (so 4X what a local would pay). Again, in my opinion this is totally reasonable since state and federal taxes pay for those schools.

Some of the many other examples are; county parks, county golf courses, swimming pools, town parking permits etc etc etc. not to mention two tiered pricing for seniors, disabled people, military, students... the list goes on and on and on... so I don't feel any need to beat up on Thais about this.

And if it bother you so much... go get a Thai DL. Its cheap and simple and I've never been asked to pay the foreign price after showing my Thai DL. Never need to show my Tambien Ban, work permit or anything. Just Thai DL.

Jai Yen Yen Mo Fo's

• Like 1

I think the concern here is not the rise in farang prices (25per cent) but the 150 per cent in the price for the locals. To then suggest that this will not reduce visitor numbers is pure Kittirattspeak.

I think it can be argued that it's good to have a price high enough that most people that go there do it because they really want to and feel it worth the price.

I've seen more than my share of Thai tourists, flocking into a national park and leaving a trail of garbage on their wake. Not that foreigners are blameless, but nothing even close to the disregard for nature I see in most Thai people.

Last year going through some very remote roads in the Himalayan mountains in Kashmir, we stopped to take some photos of golden marmots and what do you think I saw on the side of the road? A Thai Mama noodle plastic wrap. bah.gif

• Like 1

National Parks should be just that National Parks, a place where all should be able to enjoy the natural enviroment of the country. I think the costs are already too high. 40 THB is already prohibitive for a large segment of the Thai population. That means a family of 6 is paying 240 THB +50 THB vehicle = 290 THB just to get in to the park. That is a full days wage for most Thais.

The foreigner price is also a bit steep. Last year I had three family members visiting, we were cruising through Kanchanaburi and thought it would be nice to have a picnic lunch by the waterfall. 1200 THB for them + 80 THB for the wife and I + 50 THB for the car = 1330 THB. Thats a bit steep for a picnic.

As for all the two tiered pricing haters... I have to say I really disagree. These are facilities paid for by Thai taxes so Thais should receive a discount. We all know that if the rate for Thais was 400 THB very few Thais could afford to go.

I am from the USA so I can't speak for any other country.... but two tiered pricing happens all the time in the USA.

I grew up in a beach town. Every household in town got two free season passes, all outsiders could only buy week long passes at 20USD per week or day passes at 5USD per day. Now my US home is in a different beach town where we dont have that same policy. It infuriates me that we dont have a similar system. If I want to take a walk on the beach when I come home from work just 200 meters from my house it costs me the same as any tourist, 8USD even though I pay the high taxes associated with operating a tourist town; lifeguards, beach cleaning, large police force etc. they do not.

State Universities are probably the best example. Out of state residents usually pay about 100% more than in-state residents, foreign students pay about 100% more than that (so 4X what a local would pay). Again, in my opinion this is totally reasonable since state and federal taxes pay for those schools.

Some of the many other examples are; county parks, county golf courses, swimming pools, town parking permits etc etc etc. not to mention two tiered pricing for seniors, disabled people, military, students... the list goes on and on and on... so I don't feel any need to beat up on Thais about this.

And if it bother you so much... go get a Thai DL. Its cheap and simple and I've never been asked to pay the foreign price after showing my Thai DL. Never need to show my Tambien Ban, work permit or anything. Just Thai DL.

Jai Yen Yen Mo Fo's

When was the last time you used your DL to get the lower price in a park? They changed that about a year ago so now you need a thai id to get a lower price. They won't accept your DL.

• Like 1

before being presented to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for consideration.
(of the revived non-Elite Card scheme)

"Hum, should the new-version Thailand-Elite card be red or red, tough call there, let's set up a panel to decide within 90 days, send for DPM-Chalerm !" rolleyes.gif

When was the last time you used your DL to get the lower price in a park? They changed that about a year ago so now you need a thai id to get a lower price. They won't accept your DL.

I went to Khao Yai National Park about 6 weeks ago and probably three other Natl parks in the past year. Never any questions asked when just using my Thai DL

Jai Yen Yen Mo Fo's

quite a point you got

I think it can be argued that it's good to have a price high enough that most people that go there do it because they really want to and feel it worth the price.

I've seen more than my share of Thai tourists, flocking into a national park and leaving a trail of garbage on their wake. Not that foreigners are blameless, but nothing even close to the disregard for nature I see in most Thai people.

Last year going through some very remote roads in the Himalayan mountains in Kashmir, we stopped to take some photos of golden marmots and what do you think I saw on the side of the road? A Thai Mama noodle plastic wrap. bah.gif

At least there wasn't a Thai Mamasan next to it!

But to be serious for a nanosecond. I have no objection to non nationals paying higher charges to visit parks, museums etc in any country. It's just a question of scale.

Edited by bigbamboo

Get over it ... esp. the melodrama. It's not at all unusual for some countries to have multi-teir fees for parks, museums, etc. In fact, my home state of Oregon sets cheaper entrance fees to state parks for Oregon residents.

It's just sad. Racism by any other name is still racism. Continued overt racism administered by the national government on down, is ultimately not sustainable and will leave Thailand isolated and abandoned by the rest of the world--and wondering why. "Gee... what did we do to make them so pissy?"

Get over it ... esp. the melodrama. It's not at all unusual for some countries to have multi-teir fees for parks, museums, etc. In fact, my home state of Oregon sets cheaper entrance fees to state parks for Oregon residents.

Can you distinguish them by their skin color?

Jai Yen Yen Mo Fo's

Be very careful commenting on the US as a whole as there are few generalizations that hold up to scrutiny... federal and, in my experience, state attractions do not charge different rates based on residency and I am very curious to know where you live that you have to pay for a walk on the beach? Are you entering a national park? state park? I am from Virginia and while tuition rates do reflect your post nothing else does. In DC the Smithsonian system and National Zoo are free for all. When I lived in New Orleans, a major tourist town, PRIVATE businesses offered discount cards to locals but their was no two tier pricing scheme similar to what is found here.

Regarding Thais paying for these attractions in taxes, the vast majority of foreigners in Thailand (including those not paying income tax) pay far MORE in taxes than the typical Thai as there is no income tax below 20,000 baht per month but rather a VAT of 7% (and the foreigners spend more thus outpacing the natives in tax contributions). I really don't see how discriminatory pricing can be justified with regard to nationality in a country where the vast majority only pay VAT and not income tax and the attractions themselves are hardly maintained to an high standard.

Right. And I have been a taxpaying resident of Thailand for 17 years - but I still pay more to enter national parks here, solely due to the color of my skin / length of my nose. Does Oregon really charge Thais legally living in Oregon more than it charges farangs living there? Somehow I doubt it.

Be very careful commenting on the US as a whole as there are few generalizations that hold up to scrutiny... federal and, in my experience, state attractions do not charge different rates based on residency and I am very curious to know where you live that you have to pay for a walk on the beach? Are you entering a national park? state park? I am from Virginia and while tuition rates do reflect your post nothing else does. In DC the Smithsonian system and National Zoo are free for all. When I lived in New Orleans, a major tourist town, PRIVATE businesses offered discount cards to locals but their was no two tier pricing scheme similar to what is found here.

Regarding Thais paying for these attractions in taxes, the vast majority of foreigners in Thailand (including those not paying income tax) pay far MORE in taxes than the typical Thai as there is no income tax below 20,000 baht per month but rather a VAT of 7% (and the foreigners spend more thus outpacing the natives in tax contributions). I really don't see how discriminatory pricing can be justified with regard to nationality in a country where the vast majority only pay VAT and not income tax and the attractions themselves are hardly maintained to an high standard.

I do realize that state and local laws vary widely in the US. So I am not trying to generalize about all of the USA but only stating my experience. The beach towns I am referring to are in New Jersey. These are town controlled beaches not community, state or national parks. The first town where residents received while non-residents have to pay was Ocean Beach III, a section of Lavalette NJ. The town where I now own a home and all have to pay to access the beach is Avon-by-the-Sea NJ. You can look it up. I am sure the beach fees are outlined on the town websites. In fact I think you will find that most towns in New Jersey charge for beach access.

I have also lived in Hoboken, NJ, where residents park for free on the streets but non-residents have a 4 hour limit, have pay a parking deck, or feed a meter. I am sure this is detailed also on Hoboken's website

Most counties in New Jersey have county golf courses. All of which have different fees for residents and non-residents.

Our town pool has one price for residents and another price for non-residents.... also to be found on the Avon-by-the-Sea NJ website if you are interested.

And as for your comments on Thai and US taxes... I'd rather fight you to the death with plastic soup spoons than dissect the intricacies of Thai and US tax law. But both of these tax systems are based on a mix of income, VAT, and corporate taxes. In both systems higher income people pay much higher percentages of their income than lower income people, Of course, higher income people also pay much more VAT... because they buy more. same in both countries. And you forgot to mention corporate taxes which are high in both countries. It is also import to remember that there are many non US citizens who contribute to the US tax base also. But the basic fact is still that the taxes collected by the Thai government pay for institutions like the National parks and museums.

Do agree completely with your comments on the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC. If any readers of this forum have the opportunity to visit Washington DC you should make a point of taking advantage of this US taxpayer provided gift to the culture of the world. They are great institutions and research facilities.

I pay more Thai taxes then 95% of the Thai's the double pricing is really a joke. However if you bring your Thai Work Permit they usually let you in for the Thai price at national parks. I have done that a few times in Samet.

Seems to depend on the park - some accept Thai driver's licence as proof of residence - but Khao Yai will not budge whatever you produce.

What I see in Khao Yai national park (I visit often) is that the new park chief is rebuilding his home in the park, a new visitor center was built (though that was financed by PTTEP, the oil company), older buildings are being removed. But I see no improvements regarding conservation, no increased patrolling. The national park department's reservation webpage states the bungalows come with hot showers, but the park has stopped offering this because the money goes to the 'more important' projects. Conservation and visitor's well-being is not their priority.

People are getting fined for parking along the road to watch gibbons, while I never hear that anybody driving over 60KM/hr got fined. probably because the people that do drive over 60 are the park rangers, themselves. They don't reduce speed when they see monkeys. I've seen a ranger purposely kicking a monkey while driving by on his motorbike. I've seen rangers causing dangerous situations (and possibly future situations; elephants remember everything) chasing elephants away from the road.

They've closed the road to Pha Dieo Die viewpoint. To let the forest regrow, which does look like conservation. But then the question rises why they had to build this ugly boardwalk to that same viewpoint which was said to prevent damage to the tree roots. (a lot of money was spend on it, and within no time the boardwalk needed repair. and again , and again. ) Luckily there are Thais that do care about nature and protested against the platform built on top of the natural sandstone outlook. The platform was removed soon after. Before they closed this area, I had personnaly encountered and reported two poachers in that same area. I almost started to believe that the park's chief would be involved in these practises, closing the area for tourists so the poachers can go on with their work without being disturbed by wildlife fanatics like me. But I really hope he's not that corrupt.

Reducing poaching should be their main concern. And if a higher entrance fee would help reducing it, I don't mind paying for it. However, I'm sceptical about it, and afraid no effort will be made. I understand it's hard to look for armed poachers in an area three times the land surface of Singapore, but you could at least try.

You don't need to wander far off trail to see the scars on valuable trees made by poachers. It's really everywhere. And the same people have almost (if not totally) wiped out the tiger population. I've never seen proof in recent years of the survival of tigers. I've been incredibly luckt to have seen Clouded Leopard, but still hoping for tiger.

Khao Yai is probably the most popular national park of Thailand. Over 90% are Thai visitors, and as some have already stated, not all Thais are good at bringing the garbage back home. But still, I believe that everybody, especially locals, should be able to enjoy nature otherwise they would certainly never ever care about preserving it. I think the high entrance fee for the Thais will reduce visitor numbers, though the question is if that's a good or bad thing. Last year about 790.000 Thais and 30.000 foreigners visited Khao Yai. I guess the number of foreigners won't drop. So that's 3000000 baht extra profit. The question is how many Thais will stay away.

I just hope that this wonderful place will remain protected, and hopefully better than it is now. Please, spend the money wisely!

I would love to see double pricing in Oz or in any western country,can you imagine the racist outburst from our international tourists and the feelgood brigade,there was a job add on a web site the other day stating , lazy Indians and Asians need not apply, you don't think that got some air time.Time for another cuppa.coffee1.gif

Actually in Australia it is totaly ilegal. Everyone by law must be treated equally. Any business/organisation who tried it would face horrendous fines.