Thai Cancels Koh Samui Service From Mid-Jan 2013

rheinwiese

THAI Cancels Koh Samui Service from mid-Jan 2013

by JL

Update at 1750GMT 30AUG12

As per 30AUG12 GDS inventory display, THAI starting 16JAN13 cancels Bangkok – Koh Samui service. The airline currently offers twice daily flights on board Boeing 737-400 since 15FEB08.

Reservation for this flight is closed and removed from the system for travel on/after 16JAN13.

Schedule until 15JAN13:

TG281 BKK0745 – 0850USM 734 D

TG287 BKK1520 – 1625USM 734 D

TG282 USM0930 – 1035BKK 734 D

TG288 USM1705 – 1810BKK 734 D

Source: airlineroute.net

One would have thought they would have waited till the end of the peak season?

My money is on the new current owners of all that other land that the current Gov want to build a 2nd airport on had a whisper into the acting bosses at THAI, kill the flights, get out rage with no competition to Bangkok Airways rip off prices, build the 2nd airport, lots of graft there. cheesy.gif

Are they possibly switching routes to fly from Don Muang, with an as yet to be determined schedule? and therefore they've stop booking flights from the Swamp?

Possibly if their Thai-Smile 'sister-airline' lower-but-not-low-cost subsidiary switches across, otherwise why operate just this one route, from DMK rather than BKK which is their Domestic/International hub ?

I guess the 737-400's are being phased out and replaced with A320's which may be a bit too heavy for USM? Thai SMile has only A320's so not a viable carrier for this route.

Not sure if TG will codeshare PG flights, they do interline now.

People holding ticketed reservations, after 15 Jan. 2013 on the TG flights would be well advised to begin working on alternatives now.

Edited by lomatopo

Wasn't it to serve the great TG strategists that the government threatened to build a 2nd airport in Samui if BKK Airways didn't allow TG to land at their own airport?

That was a couple ago and TG now cancels the destination! Should have the government carried on and this island would be left badly disfigured for nothing. Great planning!

I forget the amount off the top of my head, but Bangkok Airways charges THAI significantly more to land there for a B737 then a B747 at Swampy.

Business is Business I spose.

It's their own private airport. Suvarnabhumi is owned by the government and operated by AOT. Big difference.

TG apparently agreed to paying the landing fees, because the demand was there (still is, I suppose) and they still made profit. I am a bit confused why they stop their service to USM though, I think the OP does not tell us everything.

Heck, I was considering flying to Samui again because of TG's service. I was first there in 1987, when there were rumours about an airport being built. I paid THB 60/night for a "bungalow" on the beach at that time. Considering that THB 6,000 is now considered cheap there, I am not surprised the island is going for a second airport.

Again, my best guess is that TG will no longer have aircraft capable of landing on USM's shortish runway.

Since they haven't made an announcement, that I can find anyway, I assume that they are moving existing reservations over to PG, and planning on code-sharing with PG.

The latter is an assumption, maybe TG doesn't want to communicate bad news, or doesn't have a plan, yet? But anyone holding a ticketed reservation on TG for BKK-USM for 16 Jan 2013 on-wards should contact TG as soon as possible to make plans.

A quick look also seems to indicate PG may be adding at least one daily?

Again, my best guess is that TG will no longer have aircraft capable of landing on USM's shortish runway.

Since they haven't made an announcement, that I can find anyway, I assume that they are moving existing reservations over to PG, and planning on code-sharing with PG.

The latter is an assumption, maybe TG doesn't want to communicate bad news, or doesn't have a plan, yet? But anyone holding a ticketed reservation on TG for BKK-USM for 16 Jan 2013 on-wards should contact TG as soon as possible to make plans.

A quick look also seems to indicate PG may be adding at least one daily?

Best guess is TG dont have a plan.... normal day to day business then.