Have Home Lan With 100Mbps , How Do I Get 1000Mbps ?

BKKdreaming

I have a very fast fiber optics internet coming into my house and then to the router ,, then a Cat 5 cable from fiber optics router to my computer.

But the card in my computer is 10-100 Mbps , and thats what I am getting now , 100 Mbps

Can I just change the PCI card to a 10-100-1000 Mbps one (do they make those ? )

or what would I need to do ?

i am paying for all this bandwidth and would like to use it :)

thanks for your ideas

BK

Have you checked the speed of the internet through a VPN bypassing the proxies in Thailand ? I've yet to see a public ISP allowing international bandwidth in excess of 100M in Thailand. It's more like under 10M. So I wouldn't bother if it's only about internet.

A full 1G home LAN is good though, just update all cards and routers.

Ah ok. Well all of the recent motherboards I've bought have come with built-in 1G net, but yes, if you don't have one just get a new net card. All of the network has to be 1G, so check the router as well.

My setup uses 1G in the house with 300M wlan, the router then connected to an ADSL modem via it's WAN port. HW is from Zyxel/SMC and was not expensive.

Yes well, my cabling is from Tukcom Pattaya, no-name cables put together on front of my eyes :D

Works ok, transfer rates are bound by disk I/O, not the net. I think I did try to test it once with two linux boxes, can't remember if the result was 500 or 700M, but well above the other HW limits anyway. The most notable effect I've seen is in the latency, that too is only important if you have applications requiring extremely fast response times.

Since it's cheap, why not.

OK.....well getting the PCI card is cheap , I would just like some of the streams to be quicker like Veetle or Justin.TV when I am watching Myth busters or Top Gear :)

I am sure my older computer will be the bottleneck anyway :)

right now I have 5 / 15 fiber optics ( Fios from Verizon) but might sign up for 25. 50 which is now available here.

thanks again for your ideas

BK

Will I see the change just be changing the card if I do the test on Speedtest.net ?

One of my problems is I have 30 to 50 windows open all the time so that takes some resources .

yeah just a bad habit I have of opening a new window for each thing I find on google or Ebay and reading it later !

BK

Edited by BKKdreaming

Yeah, you can put 1gb nic cards in your PCs up your performance, but CAT 5 is only rated to 100mb. Oops.

Wrong. Cat 5 can do 1000BaseT. Also depends on distance.

100BaseT-TX use two pairs, 1000BaseT uses four pairs (all 8 conductors). Figures of merit include attenuation, jitter, noise (crosstalk), etc, which degrade with length. 100 meters is the standard; using a 5-10 meter Cat 5 cable for 1000BaseT would likely be no problem.

Yeah, you can put 1gb nic cards in your PCs up your performance, but CAT 5 is only rated to 100mb. Oops.

Wrong. Cat 5 can do 1000BaseT. Also depends on distance.

100BaseT-TX use two pairs, 1000BaseT uses four pairs (all 8 conductors). Figures of merit include attenuation, jitter, noise (crosstalk), etc, which degrade with length. 100 meters is the standard; using a 5-10 meter Cat 5 cable for 1000BaseT would likely be no problem.

Actually this is not quite right either. Cat 5 won't support 1000BaseT but CAT 5E does (& CAT 6, of course). There is a difference. I have a gigabit LAN at home and when I've used standard CAT 5 patch cables I'll only get a 100Mb connection. Change the cable to a CAT 5E & immediately switches to 1Gb.

Actually this is not quite right either. Cat 5 won't support 1000BaseT but CAT 5E does (& CAT 6, of course). There is a difference. I have a gigabit LAN at home and when I've used standard CAT 5 patch cables I'll only get a 100Mb connection. Change the cable to a CAT 5E & immediately switches to 1Gb.

That is correct. I'm running Cat5e on a 1Gbps fiber optic backbone at a distance of around 40 meters, Cat5 was unstable. The fiber connection does not auto-negotiate speeds in my case and is locked at 1Gbps.

Cat 5 is 100BaseT (100 Mbps w/ 100 m range)

Cat 5e is 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) w/ a 75m range

Cat 5e ONLY has a 100m range if you get Base-TX. (Not base T)

Cat 6 is 100m and supposedly can do over 1.2 Gbps

" Actually this is not quite right either. Cat 5 won't support 1000BaseT but CAT 5E does (& CAT 6, of course). There is a difference. I have a gigabit LAN at home and when I've used standard CAT 5 patch cables I'll only get a 100Mb connection. Change the cable to a CAT 5E & immediately switches to 1Gb."

WOW.....thank you

I would never have known that......

I just have the cable running around the edge of the room from the router to the computer , so when I put the 1 gig ethernet card in my computer is it better to get Cat 5e or cat 6 cable ,

its only 10 meters long ,

and are the Cat 5e - Cat 6 end connectors the same ?

Thanks again

BK

No I don't think you will see any speed difference between a 10M CAT5E or a CAT6 cable. However, if I was going to the trouble of wiring a whole house I would definitely use CAT6 even just for future-proofing because the difference in cost isn't that much.

All 3 specs use the same RJ45 connectors. Only the way they are terminated differs.

No I don't think you will see any speed difference between a 10M CAT5E or a CAT6 cable. However, if I was going to the trouble of wiring a whole house I would definitely use CAT6 even just for future-proofing because the difference in cost isn't that much.

All 3 specs use the same RJ45 connectors. Only the way they are terminated differs.

Actually, you probably won't see any difference on 10M CAT-5, 5E or 6 cables. The reason is 1000Mbps is run across all 4 pairs and uses a slower clock rate, more bits per clock cycle. Attenuation and cross-talk are the culprits at long distance. If you do have to do long runs, follow the specifications. CAT-5e is only slightly more expensive than CAT-5 today.

There are two different wiring TIA/EIA-568A and TIA/EIA-568B, the most popular is TIA/EIA-568B, but either will work. The difference is which pair in the cable is connected to which pins in the connector. Follow the specs for long distances.

Cheap 10 / 100 cables have only 2 pair, which if connected to a Gig NIC / switch will downgrade to 100 Mbps. Only 4 pair cables will work at 1000Mbps. The NIC / switch will negotiate speed and duplex. Older Windows drivers on 10 / 100 Mbps would often auto-negotiate to 100Mbps/half duplex. If you have a 4 pair cable that won't go to 1000 Mbps, assuming you are using a 1000Mbps NIC and switch, it's defective. Replace or check continuity on matching pins with a cable tester or Ohm meter and replace the connector.

"Regular" (straight through) 4 pair cables work with NICs and switches at 10 / 100 / 1000 mbps. "Twisted" (crossover) 4 pair cables work between two NICs or two switches at 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbps.

Either "Regular" or "Twisted" cable configuration will work at 1000 Mbps regardless of NIC to switch, NIC to NIC or switch to switch.

Edited by rakman

Cat 5E or Cat 6 <-- more pairs

If they dont have either of them written on your cables then its not the correct cable. Also make sure all your devices have a gigabit support. 10/100/1000

One side of my house has 1000 and one side has 100.

Nope.. both have 4 pairs, the difference is the size of the wire and insulation. CAT-6 is 23 gauge, slightly bigger than CAT-5's 24 gauge wire, plus the insulation is different to reduce attenuation and cross-talk.

No, they are terminated the same way. TIA/EIA-568A or B specification.

There is stranded and solid wire CAT-5, 5E and 6. "Patch" cables are usually stranded for flexibility, long run cables are usually solid. You have to use the proper connector depending on the wire type for proper termination.

" Actually this is not quite right either. Cat 5 won't support 1000BaseT but CAT 5E does (& CAT 6, of course). There is a difference. I have a gigabit LAN at home and when I've used standard CAT 5 patch cables I'll only get a 100Mb connection. Change the cable to a CAT 5E & immediately switches to 1Gb."

WOW.....thank you

I would never have known that......

I just have the cable running around the edge of the room from the router to the computer , so when I put the 1 gig ethernet card in my computer is it better to get Cat 5e or cat 6 cable ,

its only 10 meters long ,

and are the Cat 5e - Cat 6 end connectors the same ?

Thanks again

BK

The reason your cable went to 100Mbps, it only had 2 pair or the cable was defective when the NIC/switch negotiated speed.

OK.....well getting the PCI card is cheap , I would just like some of the streams to be quicker like Veetle or Justin.TV when I am watching Myth busters or Top Gear smile.png

I am sure my older computer will be the bottleneck anyway smile.png

right now I have 5 / 15 fiber optics ( Fios from Verizon) but might sign up for 25. 50 which is now available here.

thanks again for your ideas

BK

Your network performance is limited to the slowest link, usually from the ISP to the abode (house or apt). One thing I've noticed is better system performance with 1000Mbps network than 100Mbps. Seems counter intuitive, but the drivers seem better. Moving data within the house is much better on 1000Mbps network, obviously. So if you have a "file server" holding your movies and are playing them on another device attached to the TV, then you may see an improvement.

Upgrading the router often produces better throughput from the ISP, and less latency in general. YMMV (your mileage may vary).

If your using your router as a switch as well and you have multiple PCs, connectivity between the PCs will be much better at 1000Mbps, the limitation is then usually the PC, but newer PCs do much better. Upgrade SATA drives to SSD, and the performance will improve. Upgrade PCs and life just gets better.

Yes well, my cabling is from Tukcom Pattaya, no-name cables put together on front of my eyes biggrin.png

Works ok, transfer rates are bound by disk I/O, not the net. I think I did try to test it once with two linux boxes, can't remember if the result was 500 or 700M, but well above the other HW limits anyway. The most notable effect I've seen is in the latency, that too is only important if you have applications requiring extremely fast response times.

Since it's cheap, why not.

You can test the speed with a RAMDISK unit, the speed is around 6000Mb/s (RAM CPU) where the HDD is around 100Mb/s so you just download directly to the RAM and check the speed wink.png

http://www.softperfe...ducts/ramdisk (free trial ramdisk)

http://www.steelbyte...=download&pid=1 (free tool to check the speed on hdd/cards/ramdisk/dvd etc)

Edited by ITGabs

Again, thanks for all your help......

An add on question,

I have fiber optics to the router and 4 LAN ports out of the router ,

Can I run some Cat 6 cable out of the LAN port to the other side of the house and run a 2nd router there ?

the 2nd router could have WiFI and a few extra LAN ports to connect a couple computers and maybe a printer etc ,

And is there anything I would need extra other than the Cat 6 cable and 2nd router ?

Thanks again

BK

Edited by BKKdreaming

Again, thanks for all your help......

An add on question,

I have fiber optics to the router and 4 LAN ports out of the router ,

Can I run some Cat 6 cable out of the LAN port to the other side of the house and run a 2nd router there ?

the 2nd router could have WiFI and a few extra LAN ports to connect a couple computers and maybe a printer etc ,

And is there anything I would need extra other than the Cat 6 cable and 2nd router ?

Thanks again

BK

That would work & no you don't need anything else. But you don't actually need (or really want) a "router" at the 2nd point, just a "LAN switch" which are cheap and require no configuration.

If you are going to buy a WiFi Access Point, then get one with 4 Lan ports (most of them come like that anyway) and it will act as a switch as well. When you do the initial setup, make sure you configure it (probably using the setup wizard) as an "Access Point" only, not as a router. In a small home network you only want/need one router doing the NAT, DHCP etc. 2 routers only complicates matters and if anything degrades perfomance.

That is correct. I'm running Cat5e on a 1Gbps fiber optic backbone at a distance of around 40 meters, Cat5 was unstable. The fiber connection does not auto-negotiate speeds in my case and is locked at 1Gbps.

Cat 5 is 100BaseT (100 Mbps w/ 100 m range)

Cat 5e is 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) w/ a 75m range

Cat 5e ONLY has a 100m range if you get Base-TX. (Not base T)

Cat 6 is 100m and supposedly can do over 1.2 Gbps

Also to note that what is written on the cable has nothing to do with what inside the cable....We could never do 1000 Mbit in the office, even with Cat 5e and nowhere even close to 75 meter. I think the longest cable is 20 meter.

I bought good cables on ebay in Germany. connected them and now everywhere is 1000GB even I use the cheapest router.

Just checked what those tukcom cables were, 5e it says on them. They were dirt cheap, something like 200b for three 5m cables. Like mentioned, they work fine for me.There's a lot of writing on them, one being "151ft", I wonder if that's the indicated max length. Would be ~30m.

How come flat LAN cables never really caught on? They were widely available in Japan when I lived there over ten years ago (and still are.) I know they can be ordered online, but never saw them in electronics/computer stores in the USA or Thailand.

Here's a pic comparing some flat ones (blue and silver) to a traditional round, fat cable (light grey):

post-33251-0-12936300-1346987936_thumb.j