How Much Are They Worth Then?

Pseudolus

I bought a tin of wood stain after the flooding, and was told that if I return the tin I would get 100 baht back. Even had it written on the can in Thai. That's got to be a winner though - 100 baht a tin (one of the big ones). R Whites lemonade used to have a few pennies back on the bottle I recall - I get the feeling that the coke / pepsi bottles are not paid upon return but more they lose a deposit against them if they do not return them - thats what they do with gas bottles / big water bottles in some places of the world.

Yes, I think the consumer pays the deposit and that deposit is held by the company until redeemed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does that add on to the cost of the product, and how much does it reduce the choice available to the consumer?

I think in the UK people voted with their feet and their wallets that they would rather buy milk in cardboard cartons in the supermarket than in reusable glass bottles at the doorstep.

SC

oh..its appeared now..sorry..ignore this

Edited by BookMan

I bought a tin of wood stain after the flooding, and was told that if I return the tin I would get 100 baht back. Even had it written on the can in Thai. That's got to be a winner though - 100 baht a tin (one of the big ones). R Whites lemonade used to have a few pennies back on the bottle I recall - I get the feeling that the coke / pepsi bottles are not paid upon return but more they lose a deposit against them if they do not return them - thats what they do with gas bottles / big water bottles in some places of the world.

Yes, I think the consumer pays the deposit and that deposit is held by the company until redeemed.

I washed it out and keep my 1 baht coins in it lol It's now worth about 200 baht I think.

How much does that add on to the cost of the product, and how much does it reduce the choice available to the consumer?

I think in the UK people voted with their feet and their wallets that they would rather buy milk in cardboard cartons in the supermarket than in reusable glass bottles at the doorstep.

SC

I'm not sure how much it adds to the cost. There is a 5 cent mandatory deposit on all plastic containers also, which may include milk cartons.

I think it is about reusing and minimising landfill waste not just the re use of glass.

In Taiwan, landfill is taxed. The bin lorries come round every night; 3 nights a week they collect paper, carboard etc for recycling, three nights a week glass and cans; six nights a week they collect compost and pigswill. It was quite a community event, meeting the neighbours down at the bin lorry. And then there was 7 baht tax on a taxed bin bag for landfill.

SC

Funny you should mention it, but I think that's the only thing that is metric. (and it should be 10 cents for a 2 liter bottle, but the battery on my wireless keyboard is dying so it's missing characters every now and then). Everything else is still the British Imperial System.

US system. 16 ounce pints, rather than 20 ounce pints is the most obvious difference. I don't know of any others. American standards now use both sets of units,` with the SI units given precedence e.g. 244 metres (800 feet).

SC

Funny you should mention it, but I think that's the only thing that is metric. (and it should be 10 cents for a 2 liter bottle, but the battery on my wireless keyboard is dying so it's missing characters every now and then). Everything else is still the British Imperial System.

US system. 16 ounce pints, rather than 20 ounce pints is the most obvious difference. I don't know of any others. American standards now use both sets of units,` with the SI units given precedence e.g. 244 metres (800 feet).

SC

very True - things re changing there. A few years ago 1 dollar was 100 cents. Now, 1 dollar is worth about 60 cents. lol

SC

very True - things re changing there. A few years ago 1 dollar was 100 cents. Now, 1 dollar is worth about 60 cents. lol

From wikipedia:

"In 1804, a British five-shilling piece, or crown, was sometimes called "dollar". It was an overstruck Spanish 8 real coin (the famous 'piece of eight'), the original of which was known as a Spanish dollar. Large numbers of these 8-real coins were captured during the Napoleonic Wars, hence their re-use by the Bank of England. They remained in use until 1811.[18] During World War II, when the US dollar was (approximately) valued at 5 shillings, the half crown (2s 6d) became nicknamed a "half dollar" by US personnel in the UK."

So 60 (old) pence (five shillings) is about right for a dollar. Currently, they're worth slightly more. Its not our fault if your pennies are now only 100th of a dollar. And you can look elsewhere for the discussion on pounds and baht...

SC

SC

From wikipedia:

"In 1804, a British five-shilling piece, or crown, was sometimes called "dollar". It was an overstruck Spanish 8 real coin (the famous 'piece of eight'), the original of which was known as a Spanish dollar. Large numbers of these 8-real coins were captured during the Napoleonic Wars, hence their re-use by the Bank of England. They remained in use until 1811.[18] During World War II, when the US dollar was (approximately) valued at 5 shillings, the half crown (2s 6d) became nicknamed a "half dollar" by US personnel in the UK."

So 60 (old) pence (five shillings) is about right for a dollar. Currently, they're worth slightly more. Its not our fault if your pennies are now only 100th of a dollar. And you can look elsewhere for the discussion on pounds and baht...

SC

Now that is confusing. I have no idea about what you are talking about. Besides, what are Thai Baht made of? Steel I assume? Can they be recycled?

This has to be a joke of a thread, 11 mins !!!

I have been told that our 1L milk bottles are worth about 1B each, apparently they weigh them. We have a lady who delivers 8 bottles of cold milk, just like an old fashioned "milk man", it is cheaper to buy it in 1L bottles than 2L bottles, I prefer as they stack better in our fridge door on the upper shelf. I chop the tops off and use them for fox tail palm seeds, to get them going. Locals think I am nuts not selling them and using black bags for the seeds. Recycling is live and well in Thailand. I just wish they didn't litter as much, but not much I can do except set a good example.

The price of raw mateials now, it's worth saving your empty chang cans and bottles up and weighing them in every few months! Pay's for another night on the pop!

Another good trick is to superglue a shiny coin on the floor in a busy bar and watch how many ladies bend down to try and pick it up, hours of endless fun while your having a nice sabai relaxing smoke.

replacing the "C" in your assumed name with an "S" would be an appropriate action bah.gif

I'll still taste the same and still be drunk in copious amounts and still give the #hits in the morning.lol.

However, #hitty #hang #hang does have a nice ring to it!