• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Sharing Or "in Law" Unit

gk10002000

Just wondering about sharing a place in Pattaya. Here in the USA, when I am working out of town across the country, I have had very good luck sharing a house or big condo. I get one that is furnished. I don' have to deal with starting and stopping utility services etc. Sometimes I get lucky like on this job and find a decent in law type of unit. Separate entrances. Overlooked a golf course. Was quiet. Really was all I needed. Now I am sharing a house, has everything, membership at swim and fitness club etc.

The idea that while I like my own place, if I spend a lot of time in the LOS, I pay the overhead of getting my own place, as does the other person. It seems better if 2 people pool their resources and rent a place that is bigger and cheaper than 2 separate single units? Yes I know the housemate issues, who is the Felix Unger and who is the Oscar Madison, who makes more noise, who has too many guests, etc. But I would think with a decent house cleaner and if the place is arranged right, those issues are minor. For example in this house, the bedrooms are at opposite ends of the house and each has their own bathroom. I literally never hear my roomie.

Are there decent houses like that?

Just a thought

Well every house could be shared of course and it's not so much the "Odd Couple" factor here I think. It would be finding someone who you can trust 110%

I pay 2,800 baht for my apt and after bills around 4k per month and when I go to work in other countries I just lock my door and everything is safe and the day before I come back, I call my landlord and ask him to turn the power in my room on and pet some water and a few wobbly pops in my fridge.

Houses are cheap to rent here and if you find the right room mate then yeah it's a good idea too as long as someone is there all the time.

Well every house could be shared of course and it's not so much the "Odd Couple" factor here I think. It would be finding someone who you can trust 110%

I pay 2,800 baht for my apt and after bills around 4k per month and when I go to work in other countries I just lock my door and everything is safe and the day before I come back, I call my landlord and ask him to turn the power in my room on and pet some water and a few wobbly pops in my fridge.

Houses are cheap to rent here and if you find the right room mate then yeah it's a good idea too as long as someone is there all the time.

Slightly off topic, but I'm just curious, what exactly do you get for 2,800 Baht??

Whatever you gain in savings you will more than likely lose in headaches

I have lived here, on and off, for 14 of the past 22 years, and have many friends, but would not want to share a house with any of them

Look on the Friendship / Foodland / Carefour boards and also websites and you will be able to find yourself a house or condo to your liking at a price which you will feel is good value.

Also, as here we often have guests whom we may have known for a limited amount of time, or if even for a longer period of time, and those guests may disappear magically, it is important that nothing of much value is ever left in the common areas.

Best of luck to you.

Slightly off topic, but I'm just curious, what exactly do you get for 2,800 Baht??

A 35sqm studio apt. furnished, back & front balcony and great security. Of course I bought my own fridge, big screen TV etc. but what else do I need when I'm single. I don't spend much time in my room anyways and when I go to work it's safe.

post-147691-0-75991100-1346693351_thumb.

post-147691-0-44135700-1346693386_thumb.

post-147691-0-12425500-1346693410_thumb.

post-147691-0-75957600-1346693651_thumb.

post-147691-0-44150400-1346693674_thumb.