Bicycle Riders Beware

Lost in LOS

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of taking a look at Huay Yai for housing, but Thai wife tells me that a lot of problems with gangs/theft in the Huay Yai area

Utter nonsense, one of the safest areas around, very well policed night and day. There a lot of police check points around here at night times for the police to try and catch the baddies coming from Pattaya and Jomtien trying to get across to the 331, so whilst the baddies are maybe caught here the crimes are not commited here.

I have lived in this area for many years without incident, it is normal for us to go out and leave the house open, many houses here don't even have walls/fences around them! Very much of a small community spirit around here - anyone out of place here is easily spotted.

There is a cycling club/team that ride around here everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 sometimes 30 or 40, sometimes at the weekends much more, a mix of Thais and Foreigners.

OK, maybe she just doesn't want to move

• Like 1

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

good idea that collapsable baton,

Gonna copy you on that one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

not cheap but looks like it wont fall apart like the thai market ones and they will ship to thailand. Just ordered

http://www.amazon.co...words=asp baton

I can attach it to the bike using the pump holder, looks about right

I am going to buy the best pepper spray I can find here, for the non windy days.

safe than sorry

Edited by Lost in LOS

What stealth weapons you mean? Stun gun? Pepper spray?

Certainly not. Being caught carrying either of these can mean jail time in many countries, and they are both fairly obvious in appearance and purpose.

I have what's known as a "Stinger" key-ring and an "Impact Kerambit". (I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by giving product names.)

Both very low-profile but effective.

Now if you sold the gold chain ,you could afford more than just a bike to get around.biggrin.png

i know LostinLos personally and my best guess is that you'd be a much happier man if you owned a fraction of what he owns whistling.gif

I dont flount my wealth by wearing heavy gold chains smile.png

ps ,i am one of the happiest men around and its not just that i have money,but good friends a terrific wife and familly.

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

touché

Why the touche (can't get the thingy)? Gone, you called this one wrong...

He can't outrun them on a bicycle. If he called the police, could he make himself understood? (I speak Thai. Not one of my friends do, not enough to explain the situation anyway.) Call for help? A low probability tactic in most countries...

He had a plan. conceived in a time of stress perhaps, but a plan. No ordinary snatch and grab (or kick you off your vehicle) here. They came back again and again. ( I hate those guys with a passion. Seen too many people bloodied for a few baht. They are not just robbers, they don't care, in fact intend to hurt you)

Well done OP to get out of that with as little damage as you did.

Now to set them up.... smile.png

I'm pleased for the op that he managed to get out of trouble, I'd be in the morgue or hospital but he did rather write his story like he should have changed into Captain America or Batman so he could treat these dasrardly villains to some of thier own medicine. But none of this detracts from the fact that the LOS just isn't what it used to be (and I go back to the 80's)

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

touché

Why the touche (can't get the thingy)? Gone, you called this one wrong...

He can't outrun them on a bicycle. If he called the police, could he make himself understood? (I speak Thai. Not one of my friends do, not enough to explain the situation anyway.) Call for help? A low probability tactic in most countries...

He had a plan. conceived in a time of stress perhaps, but a plan. No ordinary snatch and grab (or kick you off your vehicle) here. They came back again and again. ( I hate those guys with a passion. Seen too many people bloodied for a few baht. They are not just robbers, they don't care, in fact intend to hurt you)

Well done OP to get out of that with as little damage as you did.

Now to set them up.... smile.png

I'm pleased for the op that he managed to get out of trouble, I'd be in the morgue or hospital but he did rather write his story like he should have changed into Captain America or Batman so he could treat these dasrardly villains to some of thier own medicine. But none of this detracts from the fact that the LOS just isn't what it used to be (and I go back to the 80's)

The guy just defended himself and was sensible about it. I don't read a tale of an ex SAS or commando here. I just read the tale of someone who was smart and defended himself and got away with it.

Not a bar stool account of how an ex SAS kicked some Thai but. I read this story as a warning to us all to be more careful.

Different people see different things in stories obviously.

Entire world has changed easyride....entire world...

Yes, good to hear you managed to get away without any serious injury and that finally you got some help even if it was from some ladies in a car. Maybe those ladies had more guts than the others. Well done to them too for making sure they followed you until you got somewhere safe.

Seems to me there are some desperate people about lately and from the news it seems they are targeting Thai as well as foreigners in robberies. Maybe about time the police did some more patrols on foot and on bikes. ( Maybe the Mayor might get that sorted - cheesy.gif )

Is it really and more dangerous than western towns? Think I saw much more violence in the uk and oz than ever in Thailand ... I guess as its a smaller expat community here so we all hear about problems when they do happen ... But yep good to be reminded that you need to be aware of what can happen... Is there a thread of what may be best to do in such situations? What to do if someone comes up on you trying to kick off scooter? Speed up..slow down... Stop?! Not sure what I would do

Yes, good to hear you managed to get away without any serious injury and that finally you got some help even if it was from some ladies in a car. Maybe those ladies had more guts than the others. Well done to them too for making sure they followed you until you got somewhere safe.

Seems to me there are some desperate people about lately and from the news it seems they are targeting Thai as well as foreigners in robberies. Maybe about time the police did some more patrols on foot and on bikes. ( Maybe the Mayor might get that sorted - cheesy.gif )

Dont be silly the police were doing a motorbike patrol.it was them chasing himbiggrin.png

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

Thanks to the OP for the report. I ride regularly from early morning to after dark, but mostly in heavily trafficed areas in Central Pattaya. I do also ride throughout East Pattaya and south quite a ways along backcountry roads where I am very suspicious of appraching vehicles from both directions.

In the States I've encountered carloads of gangster wannabes so have learned evasive maneuvers, but mainly to anticipate to avoid being trapped.

A few years back before moving to Pattaya, I also researched Chiang Mai and Hua Hin where I learned farangs on motorbikes were occasionally getting wacked on the back with pieces of wood just for the heck of it and no robbery intent.

It happens everywhere and when bad guys have the opportunity with odds in their favor, they will do for fun or profit. Be prepared while living your life.

P.s. My bike is <10k baht, but as mentioned it's not always for profit.

So, one could assume that if you were in the same position, you would not defend yourself and cry for help? Grow a pair.

The OP is an idiot for making himself a target by wearing gold. I do tip my hat to him for defending himself, but he put himself in that position in the first place, so I'm curious as to what he was thinking. If you live in Pattaya/Jomtien and don't know the risk of wearing gold out in public, then the impetus is on him.

Thais don't like crazy. If the OP had acted like a lunatic and went after the bad guys with a passion, they would most likely have run away. In best case scenario, if the OP had gone beserk and charged the guy with the pipes, he could have taken him down will little to no injury. Then let the beating begin, on him.

If you're going to make yourself a target, at least know how to handle attackers.

So, one could assume that if you were in the same position, you would not defend yourself and cry for help? Grow a pair.

The OP is an idiot for making himself a target by wearing gold. I do tip my hat to him for defending himself, but he put himself in that position in the first place, so I'm curious as to what he was thinking. If you live in Pattaya/Jomtien and don't know the risk of wearing gold out in public, then the impetus is on him.

Thais don't like crazy. If the OP had acted like a lunatic and went after the bad guys with a passion, they would most likely have run away. In best case scenario, if the OP had gone beserk and charged the guy with the pipes, he could have taken him down will little to no injury. Then let the beating begin, on him.

If you're going to make yourself a target, at least know how to handle attackers.

Grow a set in Thailand? Why would I. i know how to avoid these kinds of situations and would never get into it with a Thai. In my home country sure I would have but here......no thanks. i'm a survivor NOT a macho man.

Yeah going berserk and attacking Thais is very good advice.............if you are good at dodging bullets.

I have been confronted here years ago and just kept walking, I was baby slapped which didn't hurt me or my ego, called names and walked right out of a totally avoidable situation. And that was after being here for 1 year and deciding not to wear Gold.

If someone is beating you then of course you defend yourself to the max but if it's just some annoying drunks yelling, name calling etc why bother with a confrontation?

Why the hell would you want to go around wearing jewelry ? I don't even wear a watch and dress in cheap stuff.. enough falangs around in nice clothes, watches and gold chains who will make a way better target :P

Edited by yoslim

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

good idea that collapsable baton,

Gonna copy you on that one...

not cheap but looks like it wont fall apart like the thai market ones and they will ship to thailand. Just ordered

http://www.amazon.co...words=asp baton

I can attach it to the bike using the pump holder, looks about right

I am going to buy the best pepper spray I can find here, for the non windy days.

safe than sorry

Just remember to stay up wind with the pepper spray mate, I personally wouldn't bother with that,the yabb`d up fool might think it's deodorant:lol: and the situation could all go pear shaped, the visual deterrent of the baton`s better.

We'll done for the way you dealt with it, you could be lying in a morgue now if dealt with like some of the other TV members who'd roll over and take it up the ar$e......

I have to agree that there is no point to riding around like a "billboard" with gold chains and exposed phones. I ride a lot (not in Pattaya) and sport no chains, don't carry more than 100 baht and my cell phone is in my pocket. I mean, why invite trouble. It's like walking across a golf driving range with a target on your back.

On the other hand, this comment about playing Steven Seagal could only come from a pussy. fuc_king A defend yourself. It's a damned shame you weren't able to kill the SOB's. If I am attacked, I may get killed, but my goal will be to inflict as much damage as possible on my tormentors. If I can kill them and ride off, all the better. If i get killed, so be it. Far from giving farangs a bad name, refusing to be a victim will protect farangs as Thai thugs learn they are not to be fuc_ked with. Running away is a pussy tactic that will paint us as chickenshit victims. Bravo for standing up.

• Like 1

well thanks for being blunt. The man was trying to kill me, in a yaba rage, since I tricked him 3X [while cars and motorbikes were riding by] and I defended myself. What did you want me to do, bozo, stand there and let him hit me?? I wouldnt be able to post this then

as or having nice things, yep have a nice phone, yep have a nice bicycle, yep have a wallet with money in it, yep have a gold chain. All under my clothes, the only thing showing was my bicycle, and since I ride 18 to 20 kilometers daily it is a good one. What farang doesnt have nice things and money on his person, or at the very least the thais will think that.

I guuess, according to you I should stay at home in case a criminal thinks I may be concealing valubles. Not gonna happen dude.

Now, maybe advice would have been dont ride on back roads, where this all started, but I am nervous about cars hitting me. I have to start riding in high traffice areas now, something I am not looking forward to.

by the way, in answer to someone elses post, this happened last thurday about 9 in the morning. I posted on another site. My friend that cleans up the beach saw me and told me I should also post it on here as a warning to others that ride the same area, so I copied and pasted it this morning

Bravo. I live in a rural area and ride all the back roads, through rice paddies, etc. The Puyai told my wife to tell me to stop doing it because it would be dangerous. I have been doing it for three years. I hate riding the main roads -- boring. My response was I would rather be dead than scared. And for anyone out there that thinks that's stupid, you are entitled to your beliefs and you are probably a pussy, whose body language will also make you a victim. I have no interest in living in fear and if the alternative is death, so be it.

I have gone into dangerous places in different countries all my life and have never been attacked. Threatened yes, but never attacked. Maybe I have been lucky, but I think it is 99% body language. Thugs won't normally attack somebody who is unafraid and they can smell fear just like a dog. I say "normally" thugs won't attack someone unafraid. Drugs alter this situation. A drug crazed person is the wild card in all this.

By the way, my attitude towards soi dogs is, "If you bite me I am going to kill you with my bare hands." They don't bite me. When the come out barking, I whip around with a viscious glare and they turn tail and run. I don't carry sticks or pepper spray, it's all in the attitude.

• Like 1

Grow a set in Thailand? Why would I. i know how to avoid these kinds of situations and would never get into it with a Thai. In my home country sure I would have but here......no thanks. i'm a survivor NOT a macho man.

Yeah going berserk and attacking Thais is very good advice.............if you are good at dodging bullets.

I have been confronted here years ago and just kept walking, I was baby slapped which didn't hurt me or my ego, called names and walked right out of a totally avoidable situation. And that was after being here for 1 year and deciding not to wear Gold.

If someone is beating you then of course you defend yourself to the max but if it's just some annoying drunks yelling, name calling etc why bother with a confrontation?

Good god, man, if you are really like this, at least don't admit it out loud. You'll never have any respect, but then maybe you don't care. Of course an intelligent person avoids unnecessary risks. I always ignore name calling, but the OP was attacked. Again, I'd rather be dead that a "survivor" that who was ashamed of his cowardly lifestyle every time he looked into a mirror.

Really, you let somebody "baby slap" you? Whoa.

a couple more pics. this one is a couple hours after the incident, before going to the doctor

post-24771-0-23396900-1346724104_thumb.j

this one is this morning at the gym for a short workout

post-24771-0-06308900-1346724112_thumb.j

to the guy that got attacked while walking. I am sorry for your incident, its getting scary out there because of yaba.

Be ready for all the guys that say you shouldnt be out walking and will blame you for it

They were after him, he was followed. It could not be avoided. Totally different from ignoring some drunk on the street. If you don't see that..

Seems there's been another incident near this:

http://www.thaivisa....ttaya-violence/

I was assailed by two street thugs today 11PM. A bike pulled over on the opposite side as I was walking, passenger got off the back of bike seat.

Yeah I saw that too and it's strange how the grammar and wording seem just like this post.