Bicycle Riders Beware

Lost in LOS

I posted this in anohter forum, and then I thought I ought to do it here to give bicycle riders in Jomtien a heads up

So I am doing my 18 kilo bike ride today. When I am near the middle of it, on the back roads, the far end of jomtien, I saw two suspicious Thai guys on a motorcycle behind me. I did my usual evasive trick. and while watching them in the mirror, I rode closer to the center of the lane, just before they got to me I quickly turned to the curb. They had to go on by, slowed down and gave me a thumbs up and two smiles for outsmarting them. Crazy dudes. They stopped further up by a place where is it just woods just ahead. One got off and was watching me, I rode up to them, keeping slow till a car was going by, [very very few] and pulled out on the other side of the car quickly and kept riding. They were pretty pissed. I rode fast but they came up again, with a pipe out, and it did my swerve move and tricked them again. I was getting close to soi chaiyapruck and there were people now, so off they went. Instead of continuing the back roads I went from soi chaiapruk to the new second road and rode that way keeping a lookout in my mirror. I should have gone the other side on the sidewalk, but I was pissed. I was gonna quickly get up on the sidewalk where there were a bunch of large bricks [they are fixing the sidewalk]. They got smarter and rode behind a car, so I couldn't see them, and came right at me before i could move, all I could do was duck. He hit me in the leg with a big pipe, he had two, and I hit the curb, I tried to get off my bicycle but he got another one on my leg, since that was the only part open to him. I dove off the bike onto the sidewalk and rolled onto my back and waited for him, trying to appear scared. He had a crazy smile on him [the other one waited on the getaway bike] and was waving both his pipes at me, when he got close I went for his knee with a side kick. Luckily for him, he jumped back just in time. I was a few seconds too soon, but the pipes were long and I didnt want to take a chance. I got up, took off my sandals and waited for his next attack. He was surprised. I know how to defend against pipes, so I almost got one away from him. He was much more cautious, now knowing he bit off more than he was prepared for. He kept coming in but I was very close to getting him several times, and he was overly cautious but swinging both pipes like a crazy man. I called him and old women, trying to get him more crazy and make a mistake but he only fell for it for a bit and then got cautious again. I yelled to motorcycles going by but no one would stop. I then saw some cars coming, and waited for his next swing , and went around him to the center of the street and called him out. He came at me, like I knew he would, and I made sure the cars couldn't go around us, and had to stop. He wanted to keep fighting but his friend was yelling for them to get out of there. He reluctantly got on the bike and they left. I was very lucky the first strike wasn't to my head, but he underestimated me. Lucky me

The car had three girls in it, and pulled over to see if I was okay. I told them I was okay, but they wouldn't leave, and followed me for the next few kilometers while I rode the bicycle, so the idiots couldn't come back, till I got to the market. I thanked them and went on home

I know, I have a gold chain. I also have an iPhone. I also have a wallet with money. I also have an expensive bicycle. If they want money they are going after a farang, not matter what you have. They just weren't prepared for someone street smart.

• Like 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...glad you are OK! Riding around with a gold chain is just asking for trouble.

My landscaper was driving down Suk here a few days ago. He saw a scooter with 2 guys on it knock down a Thai gal on another scooter and rob her. It was so fast, he couldn't stop and go help. He did a U-turn down the road and came back, but there was nothing he could do. She was wearing a gold chain.

It's a chronic problem here now.

(3) How exactly does one defend against a pipe attack?

Move in. The closer you are to the opponent the less use he can make of the weapon.

There's more to it, look it up on YouTube.and yes, it requires some training.

I'm also happy to see that they were not able to get you!

Please report it to the police if you haven't some yet. I had a similar incident about 5 years ago when attacked in the car by a motorcycle gang. I took my camera and took pictures of them and drove straight off to soi 9.

sent from my Android phone

Wow that all sounds like a war zone. Real scary, and real brazen of those guys to do it even with people around. I have never had anything like that happen to me. Then again I don't live in Pattaya and it seems it can be dangerous there.

Just visited it yesterday to meet some friends and do shopping. Did not feel much danger there but maybe more in the backroads.

Good to hear your safe.

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

• Like 2

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

I think this is a bit unfair. The iPhone, well I have one and I would carry it because it's the only cell phone I have. I don't wear jewelry so the gold chain I would leave behind ordinarily, but I don't think anyone can be blamed for it. The nice bike...well if it's your hobby and you're passion you're going to have a nice bike because it's what you love. I don't think anyone should be expected not to ride a nice bike for fear of theft.

calling the police? How would that have helped much? He could have already have his skull fractured by the time they arrived, if they arrived, and if they could find the location of where the OP was at just based upon a phone call. The OP did the most reasonable and prudent thing possible.

As an aside, is Eff1n2ret's idea legal? I mean is it legal to carry a collapsable baton on a bicycle or motorcycle in Thailand? I would do it if it is.

Wow that all sounds like a war zone. Real scary, and real brazen of those guys to do it even with people around. I have never had anything like that happen to me. Then again I don't live in Pattaya and it seems it can be dangerous there.

Just visited it yesterday to meet some friends and do shopping. Did not feel much danger there but maybe more in the backroads.

Good to hear your safe.

This has nothing to do with Pattaya. It's a problem all over the country. Even in my wife's very small village, her brother's scooter was stolen while parked right in front of their house, with G'ma sleeping a few meters away. Crime occurs everywhere.

I ride my scooter around that area all the time. There's not much out there, and quite a ways away from Pattaya. Huay Yai is even further and is very rural.

Good to hear your safe.

This has nothing to do with Pattaya. It's a problem all over the country. Even in my wife's very small village, her brother's scooter was stolen while parked right in front of their house, with G'ma sleeping a few meters away. Crime occurs everywhere.

I ride my scooter around that area all the time. There's not much out there, and quite a ways away from Pattaya. Huay Yai is even further and is very rural.

I am not talking crime.. im talking about what happened to the OP.. thefts.. nothing new there. But getting chased in daylight and with people around attacked with pipes ect that does not really happen that much.

I read most about it in Pattaya, so id wager a guess its more prevalent there. I am not here to bash Pattaya as i visit it on occasions

There are many side roads which look pleasurable to ride on but with minimal passing traffic the rider is basically a sitting duck.

If I rode a bicycle in Pattaya for exercise, I would have a course consisting of Mum Aroi, to Beach Road, follow the Tuk-Tuk route to Jomtiem Beach Road, down to the end and return. That should be about 32kms.

Stay away from the lovely tree/shrub lined quiet streets.

@lostinlos,

I don't feel you displayed much wealth, maybe your bike but the Thais might not have recognized it. However that you were on a bike made you an easier target then someone on a motorbike.

I feel you did nothing wrong, maybe avoiding the back roads a bit more but its anoying you have to adapt your habits just because of some pricks want to rob you. I loathe criminals like that.

• Like 1

I am not talking crime.. im talking about what happened to the OP.. thefts.. nothing new there. But getting chased in daylight and with people around attacked with pipes ect that does not really happen that much.

I read most about it in Pattaya, so id wager a guess its more prevalent there. I am not here to bash Pattaya as i visit it on occasions

Actually, this happens a lot. Just not reported in the English news sources.

But yes, more crimes happen in larger cities, and in places where there are lots of tourists with lots of money (Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, etc).

Thanks for the warning & glad you are OK. I ride those same roads about 3-4 times per week when I'm not working. I normally head out around 8.30am. I tend to carry 100B for drinks & a cheap phone in a little waist bag & nothing more when I go out on my bike.

Did you manage to report anything?

@lostinlos,

I don't feel you displayed much wealth, maybe your bike but the Thais might not have recognized it. However that you were on a bike made you an easier target then someone on a motorbike.

I feel you did nothing wrong, maybe avoiding the back roads a bit more but its anoying you have to adapt your habits just because of some pricks want to rob you. I loathe criminals like that.

yep, exactly my thoughts. they saw an old man riding a bicycle in an out of the way place and saw an opertunity. i am sure they were waiting for that opertunity. I doubt they would have gone and done it in front of everyone, but I think they lost a lot of face by not getting me in 3 tries. My bad for not seeing them the last time till it was too late, they learned a lesson and hid behind the car till the last minute. Lucky for me I can take care of myself or I would most likely be dead right now, those pieces of rebar were not carried for a snatch and grab, they wanted it all

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

good idea that collapsable baton,

Gonna copy you on that one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Good to hear your safe.

No No,you're completely wrong.

Life is so wonderfull in Thailand.They are not affected by the worldwide economical crisis, their economy is growing to never seen heights, the salaries are ever rising and their is no unemployment in this rose garden.Criminality is almost not existing in this country.

I know this because I read it every day in the news section.

well thanks for being blunt. The man was trying to kill me, in a yaba rage, since I tricked him 3X [while cars and motorbikes were riding by] and I defended myself. What did you want me to do, bozo, stand there and let him hit me?? I wouldnt be able to post this then

as or having nice things, yep have a nice phone, yep have a nice bicycle, yep have a wallet with money in it, yep have a gold chain. All under my clothes, the only thing showing was my bicycle, and since I ride 18 to 20 kilometers daily it is a good one. What farang doesnt have nice things and money on his person, or at the very least the thais will think that.

I guuess, according to you I should stay at home in case a criminal thinks I may be concealing valubles. Not gonna happen dude.

Now, maybe advice would have been dont ride on back roads, where this all started, but I am nervous about cars hitting me. I have to start riding in high traffice areas now, something I am not looking forward to.

by the way, in answer to someone elses post, this happened last thurday about 9 in the morning. I posted on another site. My friend that cleans up the beach saw me and told me I should also post it on here as a warning to others that ride the same area, so I copied and pasted it this morning

Ignore the inevitable cynical response (I'm surprised that you didn't get a "If you don't like it here ...." like everyone seems to). I think you did exactly the right thing and displayed courage and cleverness. I'm glad you came out OK and I really hope that I would be able to cope as well as you if similarly confronted.

Whenever I've lived in, or regulalrly had to pass through, potentially "difficult areas" I've always kept some form of defensive weapon to hand. In a car or truck it was usually a tool that was large enough to be intimidating without being obviously a weapon (so as not to be on the wrong side of the law). On bicycle, motorbike or on foot I have a couple of clever stealth devices that are very effective but look entirely innocent.

touché

I was thinking of taking a look at Huay Yai for housing, but Thai wife tells me that a lot of problems with gangs/theft in the Huay Yai area

Utter nonsense, one of the safest areas around, very well policed night and day. There a lot of police check points around here at night times for the police to try and catch the baddies coming from Pattaya and Jomtien trying to get across to the 331, so whilst the baddies are maybe caught here the crimes are not commited here.

I have lived in this area for many years without incident, it is normal for us to go out and leave the house open, many houses here don't even have walls/fences around them! Very much of a small community spirit around here - anyone out of place here is easily spotted.

There is a cycling club/team that ride around here everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 sometimes 30 or 40, sometimes at the weekends much more, a mix of Thais and Foreigners.

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 1

touché

Why the touche (can't get the thingy)? Gone, you called this one wrong...

He can't outrun them on a bicycle. If he called the police, could he make himself understood? (I speak Thai. Not one of my friends do, not enough to explain the situation anyway.) Call for help? A low probability tactic in most countries...

He had a plan. conceived in a time of stress perhaps, but a plan. No ordinary snatch and grab (or kick you off your vehicle) here. They came back again and again. ( I hate those guys with a passion. Seen too many people bloodied for a few baht. They are not just robbers, they don't care, in fact intend to hurt you)

Well done OP to get out of that with as little damage as you did.

Now to set them up.... smile.png

Edited by bobbin

I see this was asked before, but was your gold visible? If so, I'd wager a bet that's what they were after. Gold snatchings are on the rise all over the kingdom. Easy to sell for money. Your bike would be much harder...if they even knew the value. It'd be hard for them to take that on a scooter anyway, right????

Yes, the advice to leave the gold chain at home is the best advice. Missed adding that in.

i was cured of my need to wear a gold chain when a Bangkok lass managed to undo the clasp and put it aside while doing the deed. whistling.gif When she saw I hadn't realized it was no longer around my neck, she was quick in departing with her booty laugh.png (couldn't resist that one)

All in all though, better than being coshed in the head!