Painting Polycarbonate Roofing

prophet01

Has anyone any actual experience of painting polycarbonate roofing to reduce the level of heat radiation coming through? Have been researching the internet but would like to hear from anyone who has done this already.

Have used sun block sheeting to good effect thus far but with the very strong winds we occasionally get here it's always a maintenance issue so would like to use a more permanent, reasonably maintenance free solution such as painting.

post-152119-0-86635600-1346650841_thumb.

Polycarbonate is really tough stuff. Peeling will be a problem unless there has been a purpose designed system for that plastic. A white roof would make a big difference.

Many moons ago, I worked in a plating shop that had a plastics line. They did a lot of those chrome plated plastic knobs and bezels etc that you see on auto dashboards and consumer items. We tried to find a system that would work for polycarbonates, "etching" was one of the problems. Like sanding a surface so glue or paint will stick. The extremely strong acids we used for ABS plastic would not do.

Part of one solution involved solvents putting a platable layer on the plastic. I have no memory of what we used, but testing a few pieces with common solvents,( toluol, acetone, +++) you might find something that puts a haze on it. No idea if this will give you enough of a mechanical bond. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

Those aluminum covered foam insulating panels fixed on the underside would do the lob, probably no less light transmitted than painting, and really reduce heat. Cost is going to be a problem any way you go.

found these

http://www.ehow.com/how_7502073_paint-polycarbonate-roof.html

http://www.theiapdmagazine.com/pdf/magazine-archives/166.pdf

Edited by thatguy

Thatguy, thanks for the reply. I did see those links before.

I'm quickly going off the idea of painting only for the reason of the large amount of sanding that would have to be undertaken to ensure adhesion.

Think I'll just make the method used reasonably successfully so far more robust to withstand the odd extreme storms.

Part of one solution involved solvents putting a platable layer on the plastic. I have no memory of what we used, but testing a few pieces with common solvents,( toluol, acetone, +++) you might find something that puts a haze on it. No idea if this will give you enough of a mechanical bond. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

Decorative chrome plated plastic parts probably get electroless nickel. Chrome won't plate directly onto steel either. When I was selling to that industry they would do copper, then nickel, then chrome.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not use that agricultural shade cloth to cover the roof. you can have a shop sew the 2 mtr panels together and put grommets for tying it down. It comes in many % of shade and is quite cheap. I have a panel of 80% shade cloth [6mt X 7mt] instaled over my swimming pool to cool it during summer and it lasts 4+ yrs. just an idea........

Why not use that agricultural shade cloth to cover the roof. you can have a shop sew the 2 mtr panels together and put grommets for tying it down. It comes in many % of shade and is quite cheap. I have a panel of 80% shade cloth [6mt X 7mt] instaled over my swimming pool to cool it during summer and it lasts 4+ yrs. just an idea........

Ha ha, great minds think alike. That's precisely what I did a year ago. Had a seamstress reinforce the edges with overlapped fabric and put the grommets in myself. Unfortunately the high winds still managed to tear the shade cloth itself hence looking at other solutions.

Anyway, just got back from a week in KL to find 'er indoors just went ahead, bought some cheap green paint and had one of the staff roller the entire roof. No sanding or prep work. It seems to be doing the job for now but interesting to see how long it lasts before peeling off.