Yingluck Campaigns To Stop Violence Against Women And Children

Lite Beer

PM campaigns to stop violence against women and children

BANGKOK, 3 September 2012 (NNT) – The government has held a seminar to inform government’s personnel to help empower women and children and promote justice for them in the society.

To carry on Her Royal Highness Princess Bejrakitiyabha’s initiative intended to stop violence against women and children, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra presided over a seminar focusing on informing Justice Ministry’s personnel of issues concerning violence against women and children .

The seminar is aimed at providing Attorney generals and other officials under the ministry with reasons and knowledge in order for them to be able to properly enforce regulations and make the right decisions on issues related to women and children.

The premier said violence against women and children damages family institution. She elaborated that the law against domestic violence, which has been enforced for five years, has not been effective. She urged people to change their attitude on the issue, and to not see violence against women as just a family matter.

Her Royal Highness Princess Bejrakitiyabha has accepted to be the United Nations’ Women Goodwill Ambassador in order to raise awareness on violence against women.

The Office of the Attorney General has been designated as the center in charge of campaigning for laws protecting and empowering women. While the Office is working with other ministries to tackle this problem, Ms Yingluck has asked for cooperation from everyone in the society to promote equality and stop the violence against women and children.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-03 footer_n.gif

And once again it's Yingluck riding on someone else's coat tails. Her advisors telling her 'this is a good opportunity to show you care, and can make a difference'. My on-going suspicion that she hasn't a clue what it is. The problem affects grass-roots people. The people she associates with don't spend (waste) time trying to understand the real Thailand.

Any unscripted questions asked of her?

• Like 1

She urged people to change their attitude on the issue, and to not see violence against women as just a family matter.

Does this mean she'll really do something with/against her fellow Pheu Thai MP Sunai Julphongsathorn who suggested something like 'studying vertically' to poor Thai women? I mean in some countries the chap would be charged with at least assault and maybe rape if only verbally.

Edited by rubl

Very commendable. Perhaps she would like to start by coming around our local villages and personally explaining to the brutish men by the dozen that violence against their Wife and Children ,when they are rat arsed or high on yaba is no longer permitted. Not only that but they can't do it when they are sober either. I would love to see the reaction.

• Like 2

To carry on Her Royal Highness Princess Bejrakitiyabha’s initiative intended to stop violence against women and children, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra saw a chance to do some thing worth while and jumped on the Royal band wagon.

Now we will see how she does on some thing that is not under big brothers control.

Hopefully she does well it is a worth while project long over due.

To carry on Her Royal Highness Princess Bejrakitiyabha’s initiative intended to stop violence against women and children, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra saw a chance to do some thing worth while and jumped on the Royal band wagon.

Now we will see how she does on some thing that is not under big brothers control.

It is long overdue.

100% a worthwhile cause. Any progress will be a significant improvement.

I will try to keep my negativity at bay :)

Based on her productivity in her first year, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

What needs to change is the acceptance of the excuses: " Oh, he was drunk at the time"..."He hasn't worked in a long time"..."He didn't know any better"...or..."He is under a lot of stress".

Domestic violence is not an isolated incident and does not occur in a vacuum. Ignorance, poverty, alcohol and social acceptance need to be addressed in order to change this violation of human rights against those members of society who are the most vulnerable.

As for child abuse, as mentioned in the above comment, both genders are responsible for those acts. How many times does one witness and accept the right of a mother to beat her child in public? If she would strike an adult in the same way, she would be arrested for the crime, but it is perfectly acceptable to strike a helpless child. This appears to be an acceptable practice in most societies, whether western, African or Asian.

Edited by jaltsc

Yingluck boosts crisis centre

The Nation

30189676-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra vowed yesterday to speed up development of the One Stop Crisis Centre (OSCS) as a permanent agency dealing with abuse against women and children.

Presiding over the opening of the AttorneyGeneral Office's seminar on domestic violence at Bangkok's Rama Gardens Hotel, the PM said implementation of the Protection of Domestic Violence Victims Act of 2007 had been slow. Many people still view the issue as a family affair that others shouldn't get involved in.

Nonetheless, she said the government was ready to help the attorneygeneral to campaign for the cause and improve the OSCS.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

She urged people to change their attitude on the issue, and to not see violence against women as just a family matter.

Does this mean she'll really do something with/against her fellow Pheu Thai MP Sunai Julphongsathorn who suggested something like 'studying vertically' to poor Thai women? I mean in some countries the chap would be charged with at least assault and maybe rape if only verbally.

or even wife beaters like Karun

The conjoining of "women and children" as victims of domestic violence - implying men are perpetrators in both cases - has spread around the world. But I wonder if Thailand, like western countries, actually has data showing the gender of those who abuse children? If so, I expect it will show - as it does in the falang world - that children are most at risk of abuse from women, not men. Any sincere attempts to reduce child abuse should not be hi-jacked by gender ideologues - it hides the sad reality of many children's lives, and prevents successful prevention programs that can target perpetrators (both men and women). Think about it - is it really only men who overdo the alcohol/yaba and then lash out?

I agree, the idea that men are automatically associated with being the perpetrators of violence is an old and outdated concept. It is true that men are more likely to be a perpetrator but there are significant numbers of women who are the perpetrator and should not be over looked if we as a society are too effectively combat abuse (at least in North America, i have not done any research in Thailand to date perhaps later this year i will do some research in los). We need to change the view from men being the abusers to there is no place in today's society for abuse and abuse of any form will not be tolerated. Even then i suspect that the use of abuse to controll others will take a long time decrease. But the first step is to talk about it openly. It is silence that gives abusers power.

Edited by canphotog
  • Like 1

nice sentiment from her, but it would require a complete change in mindset from the half of the population that commits these crimes, and the other half that accepts it.

My thoughts exactly.

Thais are violent, both consciously and unconsciously. It is their inbred nature to be violent. This violence takes on many forms. Look up these forms on the Internet. You cannot stop those forms of violence, nor can you effect any positive change by focusing on men and men alone. This is her culture. Her culture is violent through and through. It bleeds violence. It breathes violence. The sticky ooze comes out of the cracks and seeps corruption, dishonesty, cheating, lying, promiscuity, and all the sordid behaviors that an undeveloped, selfish mind can conceive. Violence is their release from pent up emotions that have no self-will or self-discipline to exercise control over the urge to be violent.

Hence I am certain she is being untruthful and merely telling lies to satisfy some other agenda that has nothing to do with the nature of her people.

It is long overdue.

100% a worthwhile cause. Any progress will be a significant improvement.

I will try to keep my negativity at bay smile.png

Based on her productivity in her first year, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

100% a worthwhile cause?

What is so worthless about that?

Thais are violent, both consciously and unconsciously. It is their inbred nature to be violent. This violence takes on many forms. Look up these forms on the Internet. You cannot stop those forms of violence, nor can you effect any positive change by focusing on men and men alone. This is her culture. Her culture is violent through and through. It bleeds violence. It breathes violence. The sticky ooze comes out of the cracks and seeps corruption, dishonesty, cheating, lying, promiscuity, and all the sordid behaviors that an undeveloped, selfish mind can conceive. Violence is their release from pent up emotions that have no self-will or self-discipline to exercise control over the urge to be violent.

Hence I am certain she is being untruthful and merely telling lies to satisfy some other agenda that has nothing to do with the nature of her people.

When TVF hands out its annual award for the most hyperbole-laden and bigoted post of the year, this will be a lay down misère. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I think journalists have a wicked sense of humour. They have it in their power to say anything, but for continuity or mischievousness they juxtapose news articles. So what do we have here?

First article student gangs are out of control killing and maiming each other.,

Second: Yingluck has concern for women and children.

It's a pity Yingluk couldnt have had concern for all the people in Thailand including males and faranges. Maybe she does but the journalists make sure she looks as though she has got is wrong!!!

Come on.. even self proclaimed sophisticated Thais beat their women to death or slash them up (we have seen two doctors doing it) and they are still seen by the courts as the gems of society. Yingluck should start with the elite. Just tell them to pay their staff a decent income, and tell doctors that they have to file mandatory charges when a servant, wife or child comes in with injuries. Than you can apply the concept to the poor.

There is one problem though. Everybody thinks it is fine to beat up women and children as long as it is shown in soaps around the clock. Even rape is okayed in soaps.

What absurd and insulting nonsense this reply is.

• Like 1

What absurd and insulting nonsense this reply is.

I was referring to this

Some Thai collegues were really upset with this Pheu Thai MP and considered his remarks demeaning to Thai women in general and poor Thai women specifically. The 'studying vertically' you may find in the (Thai language) clip which the other topic points to.

With this I hope you will find my post somewhat less 'absurd and insulting' wai.gif

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra presided over a seminar focusing on informing Justice Ministry’s personnel of issues concerning violence against women and children .

The premier said violence against women and children damages family institution.

She elaborated that the law against domestic violence, which has been enforced for five years, has not been effective.

The Office of the Attorney General has been designated as the center in charge of campaigning for laws protecting and empowering women. While the Office is working with other ministries to tackle this problem, Ms Yingluck has asked for cooperation from everyone in the society to promote equality and stop the violence against women and children.

So the dynamic leadership consists of:

Presiding over

Stating a fact

Elaborating?

Urging

Handing it over to the Attorney General

Asking for everyone in the country to sort it out.

No hint of a crusade led by the figurehead with the title of Prime Minister. Just a series of well prepared statements for her to read. Her involvement has all but ended. The Attorney General has been set up as the fall guy.

Any progress is unlikely to be due to some pro-active, original thinking by her if one can use her history of involvement in her Government's activity.

• Like 1

I think Yingluck has started down a long and difficult road with this however I cannot think of many issues that deserve more attention.

Domestic violence scars many societies and the " what goes on behind closed doors " mentality has to stop, it has to become socially unacceptable. Full stop.

I say good start............beating children and your domestic partner, sometimes to death, cannot be a " behind closed doors " issue any more.

It has to stop.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, but I can't help but think that this is nothing more than the Yingluck PR machine doing it's job. My wife works with Gender Based Violence victims and is forever striving to utilize the 5 year old "New" police/govt policies for naught. As usual, I wait and see.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 2

When TVF hands out its annual award for the most hyperbole-laden and bigoted post of the year, this will be a lay down misère. thumbsup.gif

Thank you! Seriously.

• Like 1