Asthetic Ratio For Wall Height : Roof Height

klikster

I'm in the final stages of 'design' on the house below. If I make the walls 4 m high, what is the best range of heights for the peak of the roof and for the roof extension for the terrace. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff, so I need help.

The house will be built 1 m above grade, which will be ~ 0.7 m above the soi pavement surface.

Crude outline sketch and architects rendering (will change to gabled roof) below.

post-34658-0-20524300-1346741511_thumb.j

post-34658-0-24474900-1346741527_thumb.g

Edited by klikster

height depends on total roof system thickness, including framing, and roof slope. But it's not that critical, as the wall high points are determined by roof framing. Frame the roof first, then fill in the openings at gable ends til the snakes can't sneak through.

• Like 1

It really is a matter of taste, and secondarily, how it fits in with the local environment. I like a steep, curved, local-style roof, so that's what we built, others like a lower pitch like your drawing, very much up2u.

Find a house or a photo you fine appealing and measure it, then scale to fit your requirement of 4m ceilings.

It really is a matter of taste, and secondarily, how it fits in with the local environment. I like a steep, curved, local-style roof, so that's what we built, others like a lower pitch like your drawing, very much up2u.

Find a house or a photo you fine appealing and measure it, then scale to fit your requirement of 4m ceilings.

I doubt a steep curved local-style roof will fit his 4m high single storey house. Such a roof will make his home look like a temple structure.

I doubt a steep curved local-style roof will fit his 4m high single storey house. Such a roof will make his home look like a temple structure.

I agree, and wasn't really suggesting it for his design, just that he should go for what pleases HIS (and his lady of course) eye.

Does our place look like a temple?

post-14979-0-31358800-1346895702_thumb.j

Even if it does, we like it, and it is that wot matters smile.png

Lots of ideas in this thread

I agree, and wasn't really suggesting it for his design, just that he should go for what pleases HIS (and his lady of course) eye.

Does our place look like a temple?

post-14979-0-31358800-1346895702_thumb.j

Even if it does, we like it, and it is that wot matters smile.png

Lots of ideas in this thread http://www.thaivisa....ardens-welcome/

Yup... two elevated temple structures...biggrin.png

Yup... two elevated temple structures...biggrin.png

Three actually smile.png

If you visit central Thailand around Ayutthaya you will find many wooden homes of similar style.

That's two problems. First, the homes are wooden while temples are of stone walls. Second, what is of Ayutthaya should stay in Ayutthaya. I dislike seeing a Georgian style cottage in a ricefield, nor an Ayutthaya style house in Yala.

So far, I had came across a hideous house in Koh Samui that beat all others. Imagine a house with Chinese-style tile roof and roman columns and balustrades...with colors to match...wai.gif

Edited by trogers

Exactly and agree 100% TR, as I said in my original response, it has to fit in with the local architecture, nothing wrong with alternative materials mind.

I can see 3 similar (but wooden) homes from my balcony.

Do not get me started on Thai choices of colour scheme sick.gif

Will you have a ceiling or an open roof space? If an open space, adequate height is important for temperature control without A/C.

The angle of the roof is also a crucial factor for the lasting of the roof cladding. Generally, the steeper the roof, the longer your tiles or shingles will last.

More than an aesthetic issue, I'd say.

Edited by Morakot

Will you have a ceiling or an open roof space? If an open space, adequate height is important for temperature control without A/C.

The angle of the roof is also a crucial factor for the lasting of the roof cladding. Generally, the steeper the roof, the longer your tiles or shingles will last.

Just what we need - an everlasting eyesore...biggrin.png

We first design the roof profile, and then choose the appropriate cladding material and color.

Edited by trogers

We first design the roof profile, and then choose the appropriate cladding material and color.

Has anyone suggested otherwise?

When ordering a good bottle of wine, I always drink it first and then ask for the price!

Edited by Morakot

Will have a ceiling.

Will have a ceiling.

...and presumably rely on A/C, in which case you'll have more scope to reduce the angle if desired.

No artist I, but the golden ratio shows up all through nature, many architectural styles. This reply may be more general than, or exactly what you need.

http://www.google.co...chrome&ie=UTF-8

The value of 6.7m is already based on this ratio, but measured from the underside of the roof structure. The finished roof would be about 3.0m high from the top of the side walls when you include the rafters, purlins, battens, tiles and ridge caps. The main roof would overhang the side walls by about 60cm.

Edited by trogers

DO observe the CPAC-listed minimum slopes for the roof, else you'll have a mushroom farm instead of a house. they have a great website.

You can still have a roof that has less slope than the listed minimum, or even more than the minimum but in an area of high wind, and still not have a leaky roof.

The Malaysian embassy at Sathorn is one such example. The roof profile follows Malaysian architecture which is less steep than even the golden ratio.

They included a 2nd layer of rain barrier using waterproof membrane on waterproof plywood below the roof tiles.

Correct, if the tile roof is not used as the actual roofing (waterproof) membrane, it becomes a UV & rain screen for the membrane beneath it, and so its slope is irrelevant. However, it's safe to assume that 99% of the roofs under discussion in this self-help housing forum will need to be the actual roofing membrane, and so the tile manufacturer's minimum slope instructions should be strictly adhered to.

• Like 1