Anyone Had A New Laptop Delivered From Us Or Uk?

Vatman

Purchased an Apple Macbook Pro from Apple and had it shipped to my daughter in Houston who then shipped it to me in Korat via U.S POSTAL service priorty mail (about$35.00) and received in 5 days-never inspected by customs so no import tax.

Lefty

Prices in the UK are more than here, so with shipping also just dosnt make sense or am I missing something?

Could be lots of reasons. e.g. buying via a UK company so that expense can be offset against profits. Maybe to save 20% UK VAT, which won't be payable if it's being shipped outside the EU. But VAT could be added back on when it arrives in Thailand. Maybe wants a UK warranty if he's planning to move back to UK soon. Model he wants may not be available here. Probably other reasons as well.

Sending goods to Thailand may incurr duties and VAT...so be careful and check

If you send by courier such as DHL they will process and you will pay customs charges

If you do go ahead I would recommend post, sometimes you can get away without duties, however I have received goods from the UK and the goods have incurred duties which you pay upon collection

With respect to computer I would have thought its better to but in Thailand claiming the tax when you leave, then bring it back when you return...you save 7% less some charges

You need to make sure it's got a worldwide warranty.

My understanding is that Apple warranty is world wide. A year ago I took my Australian bought Macbook to one of the local shops in Chiang Mai and had no trouble getting it repaired under warranty.

As said the main point is DONT ever use a courier like UPS DHL or Fed Ex, they will hit you hard on import duty etc every time.

Never had a problem through normal mail system, but you may find for Insurance purposes some companies wont send unless its a courier like those mentioned.

My Thai bought Lenovo X220 is a pain in the proverbial with its English/Thai keyboard.

It is essentially an English language keyboard (though it does for obvious resons not have a GBP sign) with Thai as a subscript. I have no problems with the standard characters and the option to swith to Thai is ocassionally useful and will become essential when I act on my intentions to learn Thai properly. However, GBP signs, ampersands, apostrophes and quote marks work ok in some applications, only randomly in others and not at all in some. Eg on ThaiVisa I cannot get an apostrophe to work and in some applications the ampersand key generates a quote mark until I press the quote key and then the ampersand key will return an ampersand (weird). Most of these are an irritation that I have found similar work-arounds for (eg character map for the GBP sign) but they are nonetheless an irritation

Since others have not repeated that concern I assume there is something I can do about it (have tick-checked English language options in Preferences wherever I can find it). Perhaps I should post on the IT forum.

Edited by SantiSuk

Lefty got it right.

I bought a Toshiba from Amazon in the US and had it delivered to a friend who reshipped by US Postal Service (NEVER use FedEx or UPS!) in a plain box. When I have something shipped to me by my sister or a friend. I have them put in a used paperback, some photos and cheap candy. The customs declaration says, "Used books, pictures, candy, gifts." Never lie. Being vague is not lying (but then, I'm a lawyer, too.). ALWAYS have them hand write the label (no computer generated labels. Also have them use stamps -- not a postage meter. All this makes the box look like a "care package from mom."

I have never had anything sent in this manner inspected. By the way, this computer was loaded, I saved a ton of money. I also got some peripherals that were simply unavailable here, like a Toshiba DynaDock USB 3.0 and the latest Cradlepoint MBR95 router. these things were light as a feather and added little to the postage. If you are getting a package like this, don't forget the opportunity to pick up other small things that can go in the box and ride along almost free: Camera, mobile phone, SD cards, small tools, etc. A typical Canon camera costs double here what you would pay on Amazon in the US. The camera alone pays the postage.

Edited by TongueThaied

I have never used the post for this. The tracking and reliability of delivery would seem to be too risky for me. I have used Fedex 3 times now for high end laptops into Thailand and always pay the import duty I expect (7%) on decalred cost. I don't mind the additional fee as the product is cheaper or not even available in Thailand.

You need to make sure it's got a worldwide warranty.

My understanding is that Apple warranty is world wide. A year ago I took my Australian bought Macbook to one of the local shops in Chiang Mai and had no trouble getting it repaired under warranty.

Yes, as are others, but I'm just reminding people that they should check.

You guys all buy your PC's back in the US/UK/Europe yet you live in Asia where they are made, the earlier point on "why" notwithstanding, you are all slightly mad, I mean, it's not as though you are not able to buy them here!

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm trying to buy the latest XPS laptop with the 3rd generation quad core chip but Dell Thailand isn't offering it.

I have a choice to wait until they decide to give up selling the obsolete model or buy onlinr in the US or Hong Kong and have it shipped here.

You guys all buy your PC's back in the US/UK/Europe yet you live in Asia where they are made, the earlier point on "why" notwithstanding, you are all slightly mad, I mean, it's not as though you are not able to buy them here!

I'm trying to buy the latest XPS laptop with the 3rd generation quad core chip but Dell Thailand isn't offering it.

I have a choice to wait until they decide to give up selling the obsolete model or buy onlinr in the US or Hong Kong and have it shipped here.

I'm happy to believe there might be a very rare exception.

My Thai bought Lenovo X220 is a pain in the proverbial with its English/Thai keyboard.

It is essentially an English language keyboard (though it does for obvious resons not have a GBP sign) with Thai as a subscript. I have no problems with the standard characters and the option to swith to Thai is ocassionally useful and will become essential when I act on my intentions to learn Thai properly. However, GBP signs, ampersands, apostrophes and quote marks work ok in some applications, only randomly in others and not at all in some. Eg on ThaiVisa I cannot get an apostrophe to work and in some applications the ampersand key generates a quote mark until I press the quote key and then the ampersand key will return an ampersand (weird). Most of these are an irritation that I have found similar work-arounds for (eg character map for the GBP sign) but they are nonetheless an irritation

Since others have not repeated that concern I assume there is something I can do about it (have tick-checked English language options in Preferences wherever I can find it). Perhaps I should post on the IT forum.

I presume you know about Control Panel's "Regional and Language Options". (Don't know what it's called in Win7 or 8 or 9..., but that's what it is in XP.)

There you can add languages and keyboards. I have the UK, US and Thai "Kedmanee" keyboards installed, so I can type the UK pound sign "£", the US hash sign "#", etc without problems.

http://www.dell.com/th/p/xps-14-l421x/pd

I just received my Samsung "gamer" with 256 SSD, i7 processor and 16gig RAM from Australia since there are no such laptops available in Thailand, as far as I know. I tried having it sent though OZ post as my experience is that rarely have I had to pay duty on mailed items.

Oz post would not ship it as it had a battery that they don't permit shipping. Online retailers in OZ won't ship internationally as they know the difficulties. My friend in Oz picked it up at the online factory in Chatswood and shipped it to me via DHL.

I was willing to pay duty and vat after my attempt to mail it was foiled. However, since he had occasion to fire up the computer to check it was working and DHL required a fire up as well, he was able to truthfully say it was a used laptop.

Since the original container was too bulky to ship, he removed the internal foam mid air suspension foam and put it into a DHL box. DHL told him to declare the value as 30 AUD even though the insurance amount was 1500AUD. I suspect the insurance amount is not disclosed to customs, especially if it is below the minimum level for customs duty to attach.

With Tracking, it came through to my door in three days. It arrived in BKK at 5am and was released for delivery, I live in Chiang Mai, by 6am. On my doorstep by noon.

Caveat: I am not a fan of DHL or any other courier service who seem to have all types of ways to soak the recipient with fees and charges. Also courier services "deals" with customs are suspect, I have even read where they batch charge and entire container without inspecting it and then the courier pro rates the batch fee among the packages.

The fee for the DHL delivery was 180AUD which seemed very high to me, however, this was a private individual shipping the item, not a large company that have preferential rates I am sure. The high amount of the shipping cost may have included something for customs or DHL, I will never know. For sure Customs didn't inspect the package in the hour in took to log it in and out of the BKK DHL terminal. The package clearly hadn't been opened.

The 30AUD is about the amount that is duty free. Vat was charged on the 30AUD.

I am a firm believer in USPS International Priority Mail for anything the vendor will ship that way.

http://www.dell.com/...xps-14-l421x/pd

I'm after the 15 inch model. It's not available here

As said the main point is DONT ever use a courier like UPS DHL or Fed Ex, they will hit you hard on import duty etc every time.

Never had a problem through normal mail system, but you may find for Insurance purposes some companies wont send unless its a courier like those mentioned.

This is simply not true. I used DHL to deliver some supplements and customs said some needed a doctor's letter. DHL were very helpful in sorting it all out and didn't charge anything extra for this service. The total charge wasn't any different to getting delivery using normal mail. It sounds like some have had unreasonable charges, but that doesn't mean everyone does all the time. My experience with them was fine.

This is simply not true. I used DHL to deliver some supplements and customs said some needed a doctor's letter. DHL were very helpful in sorting it all out and didn't charge anything extra for this service. The total charge wasn't any different to getting delivery using normal mail. It sounds like some have had unreasonable charges, but that doesn't mean everyone does all the time. My experience with them was fine.

Not sure how much your supplements cost but a computer is a high value item and you will surely be charged duty on it if they are aware you are importing it. I frequently us the standard post but keep in mind that the value will be listed (albeit not always accurately) on the customs label that is required on the incoming shipment. If it does get pulled by customs they will charge you duty on the assessed value of the item + the shipping costs. The other thing to consider is sending a high value item without insurance. If you get insurance then you have no choice but to list the true value on the shipping forms since this value will be used to determine the insurance costs and if you listed a low value then what's the point of paying for coverage if you won't get the value if damage or theft does occur.

Of course, it's a crap shoot when receiving stuff here if it will get pulled. If it gets pulled then it's nearly certain that duty will be added on unless you completely falsify the item description and value on the customs label. Also, it's my experience that if the shipment comes from say DELL or Amazon then it has a MUCH higher chance of getting pulled. Having it shipped to a friend/family back in your home country and then reshipped to Thailand is a much better idea. This is also much easier to control what is written on the custom tag. I will often have the description listed as "used personal effects" with low value for just about anything I have sent here. If they do pull it and open it (this has happened to me before) then customs will assess their own value on the item which will generally not be in your favor. Of course I make sure anything sent to me is sent without an invoice. I'm certainly not advocating breaking any laws but as the receiver you can not be held accountable for the description and value listed on the shipment by the shipper. It really all comes down to how lucky you are. Dressing down the shipment and writing stuff like "gift" on the box has seemed to have helped. Handwritten shipping labels vs professionally printed ones also seems to help but I have no way to quantify the effects.

If all you want is a keyboard w/o Thai script you can get them through Asus (obviously if you buy the brand). I bought a new one B800. You may even be able to get them to swap new for new + a bit of money???

If all you want is a keyboard then EBAY is your friend. I have ordered replacement kb for my DELL from ebay and they got here very cheap and without duty (is very low value item). Takes 2 min to swap them out.

I've shipped a couple of laptops from the U.S. over the years....

I'd second a couple of pieces of advice above: never use private couriers like FedEx or DHL for such things... You'll likely end up getting reamed by various fees, in part because those couriers don't just charge postage, but then add on tax and duty....usually around 7 percent VAT and another 7.5 percent for electronics. But then it gets better. At least in my experience, they'll then turn around and assess the duty and tax amounts not just against the value of your purchase, but also tax and duty the costs of shipping and insurance, and then misc other handling fees.

From the U.S., it's traditionally been better to use either USPS Global or Express mail services, which come with insurance. In Thailand, those will often arrive with relatively minor fees, perhaps just 7 percent in total against the declared purchase price only.

Re laptops, though, it's gotten a bit problematic lately, though, because I believe the USPS has temporarily suspended air shipments of items containing lithium ion batteries (like laptops and tablets) because of the potential fire risk. My shipping carrier though says the USPS will likely have that resolved sometime in the coming months. Meanwhile, an alternative approach if the battery is removable is to take it out and send it separately through other means.

But overall, from a costs standpoint, if you're a good online shopper in the U.S. and can have someone or a service handle the international mailing for you, the prices available in the U.S. generally are going to be much better than the same item priced at retail in Thailand. And for higher cost items like laptops, the savings certainly can be more than enough to warrant paying the shipping and some tax/duty.

Just make sure whatever shipping method you use included tracking and insurance for your package.

Absolutely true!! Could not agree more - the local offices of these firms are as corrupt as any thai firm. Had to pay big baht in pay offs for my own books (used) being shipped using these companies - 'no pay (bribes), no delivery,' the little turd at the door told me as he stood there with the carton.

However, I now get stuff delivered to my work office addressed to a secretary. The staff will not put up with any bullshit from these firms

Has anyone tried buying laptop in Singapore and bringing it in. Guy at work does this, using cheap flights and swears by it - genuine software, English, etc. - unlike in Thailand where there is always something which is 'copy'.

I bought one there years ago and simply carried it back as hand luggage and there was no problem of course. I can't remember the numbers but I seem to recall it being slightly more expensive to buy there than in Thailand but it's not always easy to make direct comparisons since both laces don't always carry the same models. The exchange rate between the two countries is more or less static bar a couple of Baht.