Getting Thai Baht

thaiconnections

Hi People....

My flights get into bbk about 18:30 after getting though do you think i can get Thai Baht changed at the airport that night ????

Because here i am getting 44 - 47 baht per pound so maybe i get a better rate in bbk ????

Also does anybody know of any good hotels near MBK Around 500 baht per night

And anybody have a photo of the travel plug i need for laptop + mobile THX

The rate is ok at the airport...so you can change a few pounds for your immediate expenses without getting ripped off. Only change what you need as there are much better rates in town.

With regard to the adaptor...when you check in to your hotel ask them to borrow one of theirs. They will have several behind the reception desk. The one they lone to you will be a Thai one you can buy at most markets for 20 or 30 THB. Check out the design so that you can keep an eye out for it at the markets...and purchase your own.

I run my Aussie phones and several computers off the cheapo Thai adaptors. I have done so now for more than three years with no problems to date.

Edited by Phronesis

Bite the bullet and buy 1,000 baht's worth of currency at home just in case, am 99% certain the exchange places will be open as long as there are flights, but, just in case.

Good luck with a 500 baht hotel near MBK, that's a prime real estate area (Siam) and I certainly have never heard of any.

Bite the bullet and buy 1,000 baht's worth of currency at home just in case, am 99% certain the exchange places will be open as long as there are flights, but, just in case.

Good luck with a 500 baht hotel near MBK, that's a prime real estate area (Siam) and I certainly have never heard of any.

Is that where the naughty bars are near MBK ?????

Do u have an ATM card. If so you can get loads of baht any of the dozens of ATM at swampy. Good exchange rate minus any fees your bank may charge. I always take out the max allowed day to optimize return. Open 24 hrs. I always let my bank know I'm traveling and get a temp raid on my daily limit from $300 to &500 US. Works well for me.

....beaten to the advice...

Yes, buy a european style 2-pin travel adaptor. (The best one I have had was from Boots, as it fitted anywhere...USA, Europe, Asia...) and not expensive

Phone your bank (and credit cards) to let them know you'll be travelling to LOS, cos it's a real b*tch when they block your cards if you don't tell them.

The exchange rate is a lot better in Thailand than it is here. I was getting 49+ to the pound last month.... don't worry, just go to an ATM if the exchange desks are shut: you get the same rate, but if the desks are open, make sure you get some smaller notes from them, especially if you are going to get a taxi from Swampy.

Enjoy your trip.

Nope, but the shopping there is really good, it's a shoppers paradise, MBK itself is eight floors of nothing but retail.

Also, you can buy travel adaptors here easily so I wouldn't panic.

EDIT:

I've just read your post again, 18:30 arrival is not late by any means, all the currency exchange places are open 'till at least midnight, the rate currently is around 49 baht.

Edited by chiang mai

But is it open LATE ??? What do you get for the pound at airport

Yes i need a travel plug but no sure what one for Thailand ???

And seeking hotel near MBK for about 500 baht per night....

They should be giving you 49 Baht to the £. I get that regularly at FX booths with credit card and passport. Last time was 3 days ago.

With regard to the adaptor...when you check in to your hotel ask them to borrow one of theirs. They will have several behind the reception desk. The one they lone to you will be a Thai one you can buy at most markets for 20 or 30 THB. Check out the design so that you can keep an eye out for it at the markets...and purchase your own.

If he gets a hotel for 500 baht a night (doubt it really) I don't think they will provide adapters over the counter. Up market hotels yes, but I don't think budget ones.

Do u have an ATM card. If so you can get loads of baht any of the dozens of ATM at swampy. Good exchange rate minus any fees your bank may charge.

and of course the THB 150 withdrawal fee on foreign cards using Thai ATMS' you forgot to mention...

Does that mean you want to stay near the naughty bars or avoid the naughty bars.

Plenty of good responses here, you will have no problem getting Baht at the airport when you arrive in the evening, you do get a marginally poorer rate at the airport, so just change enough for your immediate needs. Traffic into town will be heavy at that time of the day, so you will probably use the Airport Link, the Kasikorn Bank at the entrance to the Airport Link claim to give the best rate in the airport, don't know if that's true though.

You will have no problem finding a suitable adapter in MBK itself or in many small shops, probably cost you 50 Baht or so.

You will struggle to find a reasonable hotel in the vacinity of MBK for 500 Baht, you are talking about a hotel in the city centre for ten quid, I'm assuming you're from the UK with your conversion rate. Have a look at Agoda and set the Sort by filter to 1-5 Stars www.agoda.com/, I doubt if you will find anything reasonable for sub 1000 Baht, certainly not your area. There is a new Holiday Inn Express near MBK, but even that's going to cost you over 2,000 Baht.

If you want to be near the "entertainment district" you might want to consider the Ibis in Nana, that seems to be reasonable, but even that's going to cost in the region of 1500 Baht, still only thirty quid.

Quite honestly you will have spent a lot of money on a flight and travelled for many hours, you don't want to be booking yourself into a doss house.

Does that mean you want to stay near the naughty bars or avoid the naughty bars.

Naughty bars might cost a tad more than 500 Baht

sorry not to hi-jack your thread. but

is 1000THB enough to take a taxi from BKK(SUV airport) to DMK(Don Meung)?

I, too will be arriving to LOS in the morning but dont want to break change.

It's far too much, when you get your money changed get 9 x 100 and 5 x 20 notes, and as your going to Don Muang best get a taxi from the airport rank, a 50 Baht surcharge is added, but it will be metered ( and cheaper )

SUV to DM would be around THB 500 on the meter ot there abouts

Not a lot of places for 500 baht a night in the areas you will want to stay smile.png

Might find a cardboard box to live in for THB 500 night around that area...rolleyes.gif

But it will be situated in the fast lane of a motorway. laugh.png

(4 Yorkshiremen)

Take a metered taxi, there's a stand on the ground floor, cost under 500 baht - if you take an airport limo/SUV expect 1,500 baht, a complete rip and unecessary.