Depressed Woman 'fed Herself To Crocodiles' At Popular Thai Tourist Attraction

webfact

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in training at USEXPRESS truck line in the states, we were told that one

of their drivers was involved with a suicide. The man stepped out from behind a bridge

pier, naked, in front of a truck that weighs 80,000 pounds going 70 mph. That would be

a quick ending. I would think that there was some fear and pain involved with this one.

Edited by BillyBobThai

A strange way to go...

But why would the husband even make a comment of filing charges against the owners of the crocodile farm, they would not be liable for anything if she intentionally put herself in harms way and knowing this why would the owners make a "settlement" offer in the first place ?

In some countries there could be a law suit as they would say the farm owner should have had a better barrier in place to prevent this type of thing. Not saying I agree, just saying what a lawyer might try to say during a law suit.

Supposedly, in the UK, you can be sued by a burglar if he injures himself while cutting through the security mesh on your back door. So I guess anything's possible. Thailand may be culturally unique in some ways, but lawyers the world over crawl out of the same swamp... smile.png

Same in the U.S. A guy broke into a house in the evening and on the way out tripped over a lawn mower and broke his leg, He sued and won big bucks from the home owner.

The settlement is basically so that the husband doesn't cause any problems with tourists warning them not to go to the zoo as it will be damaging for the company. Also it is a sign of respect for the zoo owner to make a cash settlement to the family of the deceased to help replace the income lost tothere house hold now she has past and he is of some right because it was on his land. no one would be liable because things don't work like that here if you piss some one off you don't get taken to court you get a bullet in your head!!

A strange way to go...

(But why would the husband even make a comment of filing charges against the owners of the crocodile farm, they would not be liable for anything if she intentionally put herself in harms way and knowing this why would the owners make a "settlement" offer in the first place ?

)

Umm, one problem with your theory is that she was in dept, that would make her a financial liability not a financial asset with regards to providing an income for the family.

What a crazy way to end your life. Can't imagine multiple crocs ripping you apart.

Well; that would be one heck-of-a-lot quicker that 'being devoured' by just a single croc' - no ? ?

whistling.gif

Not sure about crocs but with alligators, they prefer to "age" their meat by stashing their kill within their territory under a river-bank or some-such when they're in their natural habitat. At a croc farm it's doubtful that the creatures posses a "territory" per se and they may well consume their prey right-away.

Alligators bite then spin and twist so it's not easy to calculate how quickly death arrives whether it's one 'gator' or numerous 'crocs'. It seems to to me that any such victim would succumb to shock.

That having been said, I hope this lady suffered not-too-much having been tortured in her mind (if the story's true).

hmmmm....story seems fishy.

That's got to be an excruciating way to end it all... seems counter-intuitive for someone who is looking to END the pain.

disposing of a body via crocs/gators is a good way to eliminate evidence of foul play.

Is it? They don't leave ANYTHING? 'Don't know much about crocs or gators, but surely there'd be bits of bone, clothing, blood, etc. In the west, the farm staff wouldn't be allowed to clean that up or touch the scene at all until the forensics examiners had finished their work.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but we are missing something here. Was it night time? If it was day time then surely there would have been witnesses to a horrific scene which would have taken some time.

I don't get it.

Very simple: Neither evidence of clothing left behind, nor remnants in crocodile scat simply means a hoax. Husband's story, and statement from farm owner sounds cooked up.

Sounds fishy to me too (no pun intended). Possible scam to avoid paying back debts. If not, it's an excruciating way to pull the plug. Sorry if it's true. Hope there aren't copy-cat suicides. O.D. on morphine is a lot better way to sign off.

Very sad news.

This is what happens when people are denied the ability to die with dignity - legally.

Organizations like The Hemlock Society are dedicated to helping people spend the last few moments with a degree of quality.

Very sad news.

This is what happens when people are denied the ability to die with dignity - legally.

Organizations like The Hemlock Society are dedicated to helping people spend the last few moments with a degree of quality.

Eh. ermm.gif

What an in-depth post, transam. With two letter posts such as that, its no wonder youve garnered 13K+ posts. Can you post something else besides, uh, erm, eh?

Read more, blog less.

The word depression here masks a different reality, the reality is that this poor lady made a move towards a complete breakdown in reasonable order and thought, quite frankly she went mad.

Any reasonable person reading this story will be saddened and horrified at the chosen mode of suicide, and we will be wondering what went through her mind as she made her way towards the crocodile farm. These are beasts that are among the most terrifying on earth ( in of their own way ) and we are taught at an early age to fear, and least respect, them.

This only lends credence to the fact that the poor lady suffered effectively a nervous breakdown before dying.

This is a mental health issue, sometimes in matters of mental health no one is to blame, sometimes more could have been done. In this case we just don't have a clue and it's not up to us to second guess the circumstances and state of mind that led to this.

All we can do is draw lessons from these tragedies, I would imagine many people reading this topic have knowledge, possibly close knowledge of people that committed suicide, I know I have. I do take an attitude that suicide is a selfish act, as it has reverberations throughout the lifetime of the family and friends around the victim, in fact suicides can still haunt the memory decades later.

It's up to us of sound mental character to look out for the signs of distress in people close to us, and ask if things are okay. It's up to people who are feeling that they are under pressure to take steps to help themselves, while they still have the capacity to do so. It's all part of being a community, of being a family, of being friends.

In as much as I believe suicide to be a selfish act, as it is the living that bear the consequences, I do understand that a complete breakdown in reason can cause it too. In this case due to the circumstances, the chances are it was a complete breakdown in reason.

I hope this lady went quickly, I hope wherever she is her suffering is over.

For the rest of us it's to take the lesson on board, that mental health issues affect many people, and they should be taken seriously. It's too easy to mock, and far too easy to dismiss the depressed as being weak.

It's not weakness, it's an illness, and it's up to the rest of us to adjust our attitudes to mental health problems and help these people get through their illness. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

The mystery has deepened because the Crocodile Farm have reportedly denied the incident took place.

Mr Jisathra also said he had been contacted by a man who said he represented the farm and wished to make a settlement.

Ah, Thailand.

He said he did not want any money, but would like to know whether his wife is dead

A not unfair request, I think.

Kind of lost the plot here... There is no hard evidence whatsoever that the women fed herself to the crocs. The croc farm denies the incident took place... Perhaps she's just walking about and did not come home (for whatever reason).

if some emotional unstable person enters a junkyard and afterwards is reported missing, does that automatically mean he/she jumped into the scrap balling press???

In any case, if she really did it, R.I.P. to the brave Mrs. Tiphawan... I'm quite sure most people would opt for a more subtle and painless way to go...

Edited by catweazle

hmmmm....story seems fishy.

That's got to be an excruciating way to end it all... seems counter-intuitive for someone who is looking to END the pain.

disposing of a body via crocs/gators is a good way to eliminate evidence of foul play.

Suicide is usually only intuitive to the person ending their life. To others it rarely makes sense.

RIP and condolences .

Very sad news.

Eh. ermm.gif

What an in-depth post, transam. With two letter posts such as that, its no wonder youve garnered 13K+ posts. Can you post something else besides, uh, erm, eh?

Read more, blog less.

Your post was ridiculous......what made you bring that subject up on this topic?......did you actually read the OP? What has this case got to do with euthanasia?. Nothing........

Transam said in two letters what a lot of us were thinking.......what say you to that? coffee1.gif

Very sad news.

Eh. ermm.gif

Read more, blog less.

Your post was ridiculous......what made you bring that subject up on this topic?......did you actually read the OP? What has this case got to do with euthanasia?. Nothing........

Transam said in two letters what a lot of us were thinking.......what say you to that? coffee1.gif

She committed suicide, THATS what made me bring up the topic of assisted suicide.

Did YOU read the article, is the question?

I cannot think of a more heinous way to go than to be fed to to croc's, can you? Hence the reason for an organization like Hemlock Society....an easier way to take one's life.

She committed suicide, THATS what made me bring up the topic of assisted suicide.

Did YOU read the article, is the question?

I cannot think of a more heinous way to go than to be fed to to croc's, can you? Hence the reason for an organization like Hemlock Society....an easier way to take one's life.

Eh.ermm.gif

Very sad news.

Eh. ermm.gif

Read more, blog less.

Not ridiculous. You ask 'what does this have to do with euthenasia?' It does relate to euthenasia. For anyone to consider throwing themselves in a croc pit is sad indeed, for several reasons. If the sad woman had an option for euthenesia, then at least she would have a dignified, painless way to go. Rather than be ripped apart by beasts, which might take between two and twenty minutes to die in excrutiating agony. What if the crocs had just been fed? Crocs in the wild eat every few days or weeks. She might get partially ripped apart, and then left to suffer for hours, lying in croc dung.

Personally, I think the dramatic suicide story is a crock of bull. Thais have been known to do very odd things in order to fake death, and avoid paying debts.

....and now, what about copy-cats?

Edited by maidu

Not ridiculous. You ask 'what does this have to do with euthenasia?' It does relate to euthenasia. For anyone to consider throwing themselves in a croc pit is sad indeed, for several reasons. If the sad woman had an option for euthenesia, then at least she would have a dignified, painless way to go. Rather than be ripped apart by beasts, which might take between two and twenty minutes to die in excrutiating agony. What if the crocs had just been fed? Crocs in the wild eat every few days or weeks. She might get partially ripped apart, and then left to suffer for hours, lying in croc dung.

Personally, I think the dramatic suicide story is a crock of bull. Thais have been known to do very odd things in order to fake death, and avoid paying debts.

....and now, what about copy-cats?

It has absolutely nothing to do with assisted suicide in this case, euthenasia relates to people who are terminally ill/in capciated in some way and make rational/sound minded decision to choose the time and place of their death with some dignity, this woman by virtue of the fact that she may or may not have decided to swim with crocodiles suggests she is not of sound mind, would be unable to make a rational decision in this regard, therefore none of the advocates of euthenasia would even support her, never mind even consider helping her

As regards copy cats, maybe she is copy cat, as understand this has happened before in past