Gyms Or Fitness Centers?

pbrane

Hi Hua Hinnites:

I've never been to HH, and am wondering if there are any decent gyms (for weightlifting) in the area? I saw something about "Grand Sports" gym and had a website, but it didn't work.

Also, would you consider the area "bicycle-friendly?"

Thanks,

-pb

Know nothing about gyms.

This is high season for tourists, and we see guys riding bikes. It's so dangerous for motorcycles, I imagine it's worse for cyclists. Last night I saw a guy with a flashing red light strip strapped to his back - good move!

In Chiang Mai, and Hua Hin, you sometimes see serious cyclists travelling in proper gear, together. Looks dangerous, though. I think that generally, bicycles are seen as inferior means of transport by most Thais, not a means of recreation.

Thailand is not cyclist-friendly like the few Western cities that have designated bike lanes, properly enforced laws for proper helmets, etc.

Yes,

the Grand Sports gym is your only option , its near the Grand Hotel.

As for cycling its quite a pleasant place to ride around if you stay off the main road (Phekasm Rd). I use to ride up to the lookout (Khao Hin Lek Fai) and around that area in the afternoon. It's also lovely and flat around Khao Takiab beach, just south of town.

Also, the older Sport Villa on Phetchakasem, past new shopping mall, same side. Pretty run down but the 'gym' overlooks the pool, a few free weights & can pay as you go. Palm Hills is a nice option- Non-members can pay per visit & it's quite reasonable. They just updated the gym but free weights are few (favouring fancy running machines etc) zzzz. The place is usually deserted which is nice. Also, try the main hotels, some offer day visit recreation passes, just ask. Good luck

The best gym in Hua Hin is the Hilton. It has full fitness facilities, 2 squash courts a sauna about 6 tennis courts, snooker, table tennis a big pool and loads of other stuff. It costs 2000 bht a month but I believe you can pay on a daily basis (about 200 bht I think)

As for cycling - I have cycled about 5000kms in and around Hua Hin and believe you me the main threat is the dogs....... :o But all said and done Ive never actually been bitten! so don't let that put you off.

The Grand Sport Gym is kind of training gym for boxers. I know a scary Thai lady who is super fit and pretty cut who works there . Alot of the condo developments have their own free weights and weight machines too of varied suitability and completeness.

The Grand Sport Gym is kind of training gym for boxers. I know a scary Thai lady who is super fit and pretty cut who works there . Alot of the condo developments have their own free weights and weight machines too of varied suitability and completeness.

Thanks to all for your input.

Any recommendations on good, quiet condos with halfway-decent weights and/or machines?

Thanks again!

-pb

• 2 weeks later...

Growl.

Well, to add my two cents ...

1) Grand Sport/Fairtex: Next to no free weights, no 45lb plates, old machines.

2) Sport Villa: Next to no free weights, no 45lb plates, old machines.

3) Hilton: Next to no free weights, the DO have a couple 45 lb plates (and some 50s), a decent bench, and new machines.

If you are a heavy lifter, you might be able to get about 350lbs of free weights at the Hilton, and their bench is solid. Cost is 2200 Baht a month. No drop in. I might go this option and just do deadlifts and bench presses.

I'll check out a few more places, but it's kinda disappointing. I was thinking that SOMEWHERE in town there would be a decent heavy lifting gym.

So far, gotta say that Chiang Mai is far superior for those wanting a more Western lifestyle. Internet, good gyms, cheap movies ... but no beach.

And living in Thailand with no beach is just not right.

Later guys.

Growl.

Well, to add my two cents ...

1) Grand Sport/Fairtex: Next to no free weights, no 45lb plates, old machines.

2) Sport Villa: Next to no free weights, no 45lb plates, old machines.

3) Hilton: Next to no free weights, the DO have a couple 45 lb plates (and some 50s), a decent bench, and new machines.

If you are a heavy lifter, you might be able to get about 350lbs of free weights at the Hilton, and their bench is solid. Cost is 2200 Baht a month. No drop in. I might go this option and just do deadlifts and bench presses.

I'll check out a few more places, but it's kinda disappointing. I was thinking that SOMEWHERE in town there would be a decent heavy lifting gym.

So far, gotta say that Chiang Mai is far superior for those wanting a more Western lifestyle. Internet, good gyms, cheap movies ... but no beach.

And living in Thailand with no beach is just not right.

Later guys.

Business opportunity?

Later guys.

Business opportunity?

The thought of opening a gym had crossed my mind ...that is if I can't find what I need. And all the membership fees that I've heard in Thailand seem quite high to me. Here in the states, I have access to a big YMCA that has 2 big gyms, 3 pools, all the machines, bikes weights etc that I could ever need, and the price is much less than I'd pay for a crappy place in LOS.

Anyway, thanks alot for the help!

-pb