Tv Show, Americans Catching Snakes, Lizards In Bangkok

gk10002000

Watched a great show last night. National Geographic A small group of USA guys went over to Thailand during the floods and were in Bangkok catching monitor lizards in Lumphini Park. Some lizards were really big, 4 or 5 feet in length. I remember sitting on a bench at the Dusit Zoo and admiring some 2 or 3 foot green striped lizards sunning themselves. Anyway, the show made some wonderful comments about the Thai people and the hardship they endured during those months of flooding. Several times the Thais could have easily have killed some of the critters, but their respect for life would not let them do that. A good night of TV. The previous show was about a team catching the BIG Komodo dragon lizards over in Indonesia.

I so miss Thailand. Can't wait for Trip 14.

The soi I used to live in has a 10' male. He is a HUGE creature. I used to tell people about him and start to think I was making it up. Then I would round a corner, bump into him again and realise I wasn't lying, he was THAT big!

The soi I used to live in has a 10' male. He is a HUGE creature. I used to tell people about him and start to think I was making it up. Then I would round a corner, bump into him again and realise I wasn't lying, he was THAT big!

very likely. checked mine out as well, just alittle over 10".

• Like 1

Several times the Thais could have easily have killed some of the critters, but their respect for life would not let them do that.

Living next to a national forest in Thailand I find a glimmer of encouragement as maybe education is beginning to form, even if wider prospects are generations away. I cannot sense a respect for life in the countryside. The basic strategy is villagers and hill tribes clear cut all of the land they own and loot the national forests. Everything in what on paper is to be precious forests is hunted or cut down to extinction from the smallest eggs to birds to the biggest animals to orchids to valuable trees and plants and just everything in between. In the present state of things, the only thing that seems to stand a chance of thriving are weeds. I have yet to meet anyone in my area who appreciates conservation, preservation, or sustainability. Occasionally the police or forestry crackdown but it's really a no win situation when the culture and education for these things don't seem to exist yet.