Drunken-Driving Charge To Be Added In Ferrari Crash: Red Bull Heir

webfact

FATAL HIT-AND-RUN

Drunken-driving charge to be added in Ferrari crash

The Nation

30189928-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Krating Daeng managing director Worrayuth Yoovidhya will soon be charged with drunken driving over the fatal hit-and-run in which a policeman was killed, police said yesterday.

Blood-alcohol tests showed Worrayuth was over the legal limit when the wreck occurred early Monday morning, said Pol Colonel Chumphol Phumphuang, chief of the Thong Lor police station, which has jurisdiction over the case.

The driving-while-intoxicated charge will subject Worrayuth to a heavier sentence. He has already been charged with causing death through carelessness, which carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence and fine of Bt20,000. He now faces a minimum jail term of three years to 10 years and/or a maximum fine of Bt200,000, along with suspension of his driver’s license for a lengthy period.

A Thong Lor station senior officer, crime suppression superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Pannaphon Nammueng, who was the victim's supervisor, has been suspended indefinitely, pending disciplinary and criminal actions.

"Letting him work after a 30-day period will only make his work and his relationship with the victim's colleagues even more difficult," Chumphol said.

Pannaphon has 30 days to appeal against his suspension, which was imposed after Pannaphon was accused of attempting to arrest a scapegoat for the crime.

Results are still pending on a test to determine how fast Worrayuth's Ferrari was going when it hit and killed Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichean Klinprasert, the chief said.

Speeding would be a minor offence that carries light penalties compared to the principal crimes of causing death through carelessness and drunken driving.

Interviews of all witnesses have been completed, with only forensic studies pending, Chumphol said.

On whether an offence of manslaughter or murder should be officially lodged against Worrayuth, Chumphol said there is not yet concrete evidence to indicate that Wichean was dragged under the Ferrari for a long distance.

"Intial autopsy results show that the conditions of the wounds and the uniform the victim wore do not suggest so," the chief added.

According to a statement made at a police press conference yesterday, a large number of Bangkok-based commissioned police officers have been penalised or discharged over various misconduct offences from last October to August 22. Three were discharged, another five put into disciplinary detention, nine assigned to disciplinary duty, 19 on probation and 20 given verbal warnings. The numbers for cases of non-commissioned officers facing respective actions during the same period are 14, 40, four, 38 and 12, the statement said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-07

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate legal test case..........

The powerful rich elite v The Police

If this had been just another regular Thai mown down then the case would have been brushed under the carpet.........but it's one of the BiB that's paid the price.

Thailand needs to know that the World will be watching this case.......this case will take on a life of it's own over the course of the next few months, Red Bull / Ferrari / Playboy / Police death.

This case is a big test for Thailand.........let's hope they are up to it.

Old matey in the Fezza will cop a 50,000b fine and no jail time.

• Like 2

If this had been just another regular Thai mown down then the case would have been brushed under the carpet.........but it's one of the BiB that's paid the price.

Thailand needs to know that the World will be watching this case.......this case will take on a life of it's own over the course of the next few months, Red Bull / Ferrari / Playboy / Police death.

Old matey in the Fezza will cop a 50,000b fine and no jail time.

Could do.........and that will be a disgrace.

There are echo's of the Ferrari death crash case that rocked Beijing a few months ago......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19467312

.there's no way justice will be seen to be done in that case, this case is already far more high profile and hence more dangerous to the reputation of the Thai legal system.

It's a test.......they may well fail it, and that will be another tragedy.

The driving-while-intoxicated charge will subject Worrayuth to a heavier sentence. He has already been charged with causing death through carelessness, which carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence and fine of Bt20,000. He now faces a minimum jail term of three years to 10 years and/or a maximum fine of Bt200,000, along with suspension of his driver’s license for a lengthy period.

Sounded ok until the 'and/or'.

Jail term or a pittance of a fine? I'm sure the legal system will be served if he is found guilty and given a non-custodial sentence.

Wasn't the observation also made in another thread that a suspension of a driving license is normally taken care of by blackened windows?

My thoughts are with the family and friend's of Wichean Klinprasert.

Lets hope thine Internatioal Press continues to Stay GLUED to this case.

It will give the entire world a view of Thailand.

My guess he will get the minimum 3 year sentence and walk anyway.coffee1.gif

And by the way, anymore news on those coppers who were tried for murder, convicted, and given Bail.

Facts as they are slowly revealed - one being he claimed he left his house at 5:10 and hit the victim 5:30. Did they forget that one?

You can bet 'darling dad' will have the hidden safe open and counting the millions out for favours but as already stated, this is becoming THE test case for the Thai Police and Judiciary. My guess is he will get a 10 year slap, and cosy 'safe' prison (easily accessed by the privileged), and be out in 12 months after the heat dies down and will most likely get a sideways shift once released to an international location for 'study' until it is safe for a low profile return.

Drunk driving resulting in death. Guilty as charged your honour - throw the book at this idiot. post-4641-1156693976.gif

After the comments in the original thread on this subject, I'm heartened to see that additional charges are being made.

On the surface it seems like they are taking this fairly seriously for now, but it remains to see whether they follow through on things properly or let the money do the talking again.

In this instance, yet another suspended sentence or pittance of a fine will put yet another nail in the coffin of Thailand's reputation and standing in the World community.

If Thailand truly wants to 'grow up', they need to be seen to be doing things that the 'World' can respect, not brushing them under the carpet.

• Like 1

One BiB gets killed and everyone is screaming !! Why are we not giving this kind of attention when the BiB Kill people, Extort money from people, Lie & Give False Evidents !!!! Should this kid go to jail Yes !! If you have lived here long enough you will know this will not happen !! Look at the girl who killed 9 students with her car !! anything happen to her of course not !! Even the BiB have their hands out waiting to get paid on this one ! Until the people of Thailand wake up and start demanding Justice for everyone not just the rich and hold the Police and the Government Responsible for their actions this country will remain a Joke in the Worlds Eyes ! And the Rich just keep getting Richer and the rest get craped on.

Have a Nice Day

• Like 1

I do wonder if this guy is maybe a yellow sympathizer instead of a red shirt backer. I wonder if it would have made a difference. Just wondering if there is an alternative reason for handling this case good (so far)

I want the book thrown at this guy, he was clearly in the wrong. This is however looking as if they are really going to do it. I wonder if it is true. I hope so that would show the rich they can't buy everything.

• Like 1

I do wonder if this guy is maybe a yellow sympathizer instead of a red shirt backer. I wonder if it would have made a difference. Just wondering if there is an alternative reason for handling this case good (so far)

I want the book thrown at this guy, he was clearly in the wrong. This is however looking as if they are really going to do it. I wonder if it is true. I hope so that would show the rich they can't buy everything.

Please dont bring the Red Vs Yellow thing into this, as the usual suspects will start bleating and eventually all discussions with revolve around you know who in Dubai..biggrin.png

Please dont bring the Red Vs Yellow thing into this, as the usual suspects will start bleating and eventually all discussions with revolve around you know who in Dubai..biggrin.png

You are right, just wondered about it because i normally don't see the police pursue a rich hi so with this much vigor. It is a real good thing though it remains to be seen if they will go all the way.

Coincidentally, the Ferrari dealership in Thailand, the sole importer of Ferrari, is jointly owned by the owner of Red Bull. and the owner of Singha beer. It would be a very curious coincidence if the driver was drinking Singha.

I doubt very much this Hi - So would be drinking horses piss. More likely JW Blue or similar.

• Like 1

I wonder whether the father of 'Boss' was also involved in trying to persuade the family employee to take the rap for his son. If so, can he also be charged with a crime?

Almost certainly involved, and would be charged with attempting to pervert the cause of justice in any civilised country, but then, TIT and the person involved is mega rich and very well connected. Need I say more?

Absolutely. The Thai Government / Police have a real opportunity here to do something very, very positive for the country.

The international press has already grabbed this story, let's hope they can portray themselves in a good light (for once!).